3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

getting another VeeGee tomorrow (plus another addition to teh family)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
so you know eventually you would fix everything. it costs nothing to park it most of the time.
fix everything on which car? The Z or the Maxima? The real deciding factor that caused me to give up on the Maxima project was after Matt crashed the white 89SE I had... and then he got his Z. Naturally he let me drive it a few times, and after experiencing a proper RWD car, I just simply couldn't ever look at any FWD car the same way again, Maxima or otherwise. Similarly, if Matt had not crashed the Maxima then I would have never driven a Z and I would still be all about the Maxima, and would have continued with my previous plans of finishing my suspension and either turbocharging my VG or doing a full VE swap.

But I'll still be on here cuz a) i'll still have a VG b) there's still a Maxima in the family and c) I've made several friends on here.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
fix everything on which car? The Z or the Maxima? The real deciding factor that caused me to give up on the Maxima project was after Matt crashed the white 89SE I had... and then he got his Z. Naturally he let me drive it a few times, and after experiencing a proper RWD car, I just simply couldn't ever look at any FWD car the same way again, Maxima or otherwise. Similarly, if Matt had not crashed the Maxima then I would have never driven a Z and I would still be all about the Maxima, and would have continued with my previous plans of finishing my suspension and either turbocharging my VG or doing a full VE swap.

But I'll still be on here cuz a) i'll still have a VG b) there's still a Maxima in the family and c) I've made several friends on here.
cumon man, i bought TBIRD SC and i m sure after feeling a massive 350 blower torque at just 2600 rpm no body would wanna think about maxima but i still do and is my fav car and still drives it.

and still wanna do all the stuff i can do to it...its just a different car in its own class which no car can match.

EDIT: SWAP VE tho

Last edited by burhan92SE; 08-11-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
cumon man, i bought TBIRD SC and i m sure after feeling a massive 350 blower torque at just 2600 rpm no body would wanna think about maxima but i still do and is my fav car and still drives it.

and still wanna do all the stuff i can do to it...its just a different car in its own class which no car can match.

EDIT: SWAP VE tho
.... i admire you peoples' persistence in trying to get me to keep/fix my Maxima but fixing everything wrong with the car AND doing a VE swap would cost like $4000.... and for what? A 3100lb 190HP FWD car? For that money I could get 300HP out of the Z and have RWD. Remember Greeny's thread? Or Matt's? I guess I've reached sort of the same point as them, difference being Greeny's car only needed a tranny whereas mine needs a bunch of work, none of which I want to do. I know this is a Maxima forum, and (except for 1st gens and the RB26DETT RWD 4th Gen from NY) Maximas are FWD, but after having driven Matt's worn-teh-fawk-out Z and it still outhandling every FWD car i've ever driven, I just can't do FWD anymore. I don't wanna see the tree that kills me.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:04 PM

.... i admire you peoples' persistence in trying to get me to keep/fix my Maxima but fixing everything wrong with the car AND doing a VE swap would cost like $4000.... and for what? A 3100lb 190HP FWD car? For that money I could get 300HP out of the Z and have RWD. Remember Greeny's thread? Or Matt's? I guess I've reached sort of the same point as them, difference being Greeny's car only needed a tranny whereas mine needs a bunch of work, none of which I want to do. I know this is a Maxima forum, and (except for 1st gens and the RB26DETT RWD 4th Gen from NY) Maximas are FWD, but after having driven Matt's worn-teh-fawk-out Z and it still outhandling every FWD car i've ever driven, I just can't do FWD anymore. I don't wanna see the tree that kills me.
i know how you feel, after i swap in the 5spd to my max its clock starts ticking. i love the car and it is great but soon i will part with it. and in its defence i know one RWD car that max will out handel but not out power, thats my 89 ford mustang death trap. hey i love my VG and i want to keep it to, it may be put on a stand and wait for a new home(not a maxima).

Last edited by 300zmax; 08-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:44 PM

woot! 300's are so sexy
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by internetautomar
which?
insuring 4 cars or toggling insurance?
Well, he has three or four cars insured, and toggles insurance on several others

So, I guess kind of both

But at the time I mainly meant the toggling insurance part
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

What I've never gotten with this thinking is why one interest (Maxima/FWD) has to be replaced with another (Z/RWD). Yes, RWD is fun/faster/easier, but I guess I don't see why the consensus is that they can't co-exist. It doesn't have to be (shouldn't be) one or the other.

It's not like you bought a Camry and you're writing Maximas off. You bought a Z, which is a completely different type of car. It's kind of apples and oranges.

And, if the Maxima really IS as bad as you are currently saying it is, you wouldn't get beans by selling it anyway

I've put projects on the backburner for years at a time, and always considered selling them occasionally (didn't hardly touch or drive my Maxima for a year or two and never showed up around here for ages). Then a day always comes when I regain interest and am quite thankful I never ended up selling.

Just my $.02
Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by James92SE
What I've never gotten with this thinking is why one interest (Maxima/FWD) has to be replaced with another (Z/RWD). Yes, RWD is fun/faster/easier, but I guess I don't see why the consensus is that they can't co-exist. It doesn't have to be (shouldn't be) one or the other.

It's not like you bought a Camry and you're writing Maximas off. You bought a Z, which is a completely different type of car. It's kind of apples and oranges.

And, if the Maxima really IS as bad as you are currently saying it is, you wouldn't get beans by selling it anyway

I've put projects on the backburner for years at a time, and always considered selling them occasionally (didn't hardly touch or drive my Maxima for a year or two and never showed up around here for ages). Then a day always comes when I regain interest and am quite thankful I never ended up selling.

Just my $.02
he is more concerned with the $$$ and time aspect of modding/maintaining/fixing both cars. he would rather have one decent car, that he can sink all of his money/time into, rather than half maxima, half z.

and not having a long term storage for whichever car gets sidelined (if both were kept) puts a kink in things, as well.
(not saying you don't have a valid point, as I agree, but his situation doesnt exactly accept it well)
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by James92SE

Just my $.02
ben basically gets it... If we were renting a HOUSE, with a yard and a driveway (and preferrably a garage), I would definitely keep the Max as our emergency-backup car and work on it slowly, since it's still a better (, manual, and hella faster) car than my bro's camry... just the camry makes more sense to keep right now due to its condition. And I'm not even writing off maximas, actually. Just mine. Because just last week, per my advice, my brother just bought a Maxima (albeit a 6th gen, not a 3rd gen). It's more along the lines of what he wanted in a car. The Z is more along the lines of what I want in a car. Now i understand that a 24-year-old car is not exactly at the peak of its reliability, so I'm probably going to have a breakdown or two in the Z every now and again but i'm somewhat certain that my brother is keeping his camry that way if one of our cars (heaven forbid his new maxima!) break down then we'll have something to drive to work with until we can get our cars back on the road. Except that his camry does NOT leak oil or tranny fluid... and my max does. So if I don't drive the max for 2 months, then i have to go buy $40-50 worth of fluids JUST to get the thing rolling again. I tried to fix the trans leak already to no avail... but at least refilling the fluids every so often is worth the price since i'm driving it 50 miles a day right now. The leaks are at a fixed rate no matter how much i drive it, so basically the more i drive it, the less it costs per-mile for those fluids.

There is a chance that we might be renting a house come November tho...... but it's not for sure.. Might just have to get another apartment, cuz this one is the WORST apartment i've ever seen and all 3 of us agree we're gonna GTFO as soon as the lease is up. If that's the case and the Max is still in one piece at that time... we'll see. If I did keep it, then finding someone who can s-bend the stock shifter (95-04 Mustang-style) for me would be a plus... it would make the Max alot more comfy to get into 5th gear with my T-Rex short arms......

o and i know i wouldn't get crap for selling it. I was planning on parting it out. 90% of the stuff on the car is good... it's just a few very nagging things that are messed up which ruins the whole driving experience. Barely any rust on the body either... just needs to be cleaned and painted, and one or two small dents smoothed out.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-12-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM

sell it or part it out if u cant keep it and buy it again..3rd gens aint gonna vanished any time soon...next time when u buy 3rd gen just buy a manual. IF u r lucky u might find a VE5.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
sell it or part it out if u cant keep it and buy it again..3rd gens aint gonna vanished any time soon...next time when u buy 3rd gen just buy a manual. IF u r lucky u might find a VE5.
well i don't really intend on ever driving an automatic again if i can help it... doing the 5spd swap wasn't so bad. matter of fact my z was 5spd-swapped by a previous owner. goin' over to my grandpa's house to ATTEMPT to get the motor out of the crashed max... and maybe start unhooking stuff on the Z too.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM

^hmm...u kinda remind me of...me. lol.
i say this becuase i would find something wrong with my cars when i did'nt want them (well something was wrong with the most of em).
i can feel ya though.

yall wanna talk about someone writing off maximas.
i'm really considering an SHO.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
^hmm...u kinda remind me of...me. lol.
i say this becuase i would find something wrong with my cars when i did'nt want them (well something was wrong with the most of em).
i can feel ya though.

yall wanna talk about someone writing off maximas.
i'm really considering an SHO.
i've actually been wanting to get rid of it for MONTHS now...but i was planning to save up a few $K and buy a z already running instead of a project car. but for the price of the car, and the fact that i kinda wanted to get my hands dirty a little bit (most stuff looks pretty simple actually), I decided to get the project car instead. i just never said anything about wanting to get rid of the Max until i actually had the replacement car. I was unemployed and unable to buy parts to take care of things, and some things just got more and more out of hand.

Probably the final straw was the injectors (3 failed in a week). i spent alot of money, time, and effort on prepwork and stuff when I replaced them, except I used VE injectors, later to find out the VE injectors flow 44% higher than VG ones do, and that i was flooding the shyt out of my engine and ever since then my engine has been having problems. I attempted to bandaid-fix it with a potentiometer on the MAF wire to turn down the air signal, and thus reduce the fuel with it, but sometimes that causes the car to hesitate, plus without a wideband 02 i'm not sure how lean or rich i'm ACTUALLY running.

But after i did ALL that work to get the injectors in and get the car running, only to find out that it was still messed up and i had to spend ANOTHER $700 to get the car to run right after just having put them in, and that the engine itself might be fubar'd because of running over-rich. Plus my MPG went from 31 hwy to 23 hwy.

And just the fact that I haven't ENJOYED driving the car at all in the last 8 months, due to the suspension problems, motor mount problems, engine problems, etc. I realize now that I never should have bought all that stuff from Goon, cuz i really didn't need any of it, and it put me in a BIG financial hole that i am just now getting out of (ie almost finished paying him back) from having lost my job like 2 weeks after i got back from his place. That reminds me i still have his custom welded hood... Anyways. I'm not just nitpicking the car as justification; i was gona do it anyways, just a matter of when. But there's a bunch of stuff that is probably going on nc90gxe's car at least temporarily until he gets his new struts and stuff... he's got a weird popping/grinding sound in the front

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 08-13-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Thats a nice looking Z, ive wanted a RWD or AWD coupe IE skyline for a long time but i would feel terrible getting rid of my 3rd gen so ive gotta wait til i can keep my max and pay for a skyline