3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I'm getting really tired of this

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:45 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I'm getting really tired of this

This is the 11th (yes, eleventh) time this has happened to this car. This is "only" the third time they've gotten my head unit, though. The past couple of years I'd taken to keeping my faceplate in the center console so I guess they quickly found that and then ripped my dash up. I know I had some crap in the glove box but I can't remember now what it was:

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Way out West

That sucks. Sometimes I forget about stuff like that since my car is tucked away in the garage. I will have to deal with it more when I install a new HU in my truck.

I have a couple of cheap HUs I was going to post up for sale on the .org. I have them listed on the local site.

Same offer applies to you.

http://www.nwnissaninfiniti.com/view...php?f=14&t=132
Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM

yepp, that's the as$holes for you, they just $h!t on everybody.

in the second photo is that round bluish **** to adjust the mirror? never seen that before.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Garf, that's a tweeter

Anyway, they keep on busting out those rear quarter windows. I guess I'm going to have to stock up on them. I'm mostly annoyed they had to rip up my dash. I had the head unit just pushed in there, they could have just pulled it right out. But instead, they have to ruin my brushed aluminum kit.

I'm really surprised they didn't break into my blue Maxima. It was sitting right beside it and is lowered on rims, etc. so I don't know why they targeted the black one.

Cliff, I went to your link but it took me to a log-in page
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 PM

man that sucks...this reminds me of the time when they tried to jack the HU from my old car..they couldn't get the HU out...so they ended up stealing the detachable faceplate..bastards ..either way I was left with a useless stereo. All the best man....
Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM

i swear i wish somebody comes out with a electric shock alarm system that is bull.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:38 PM

did you have a real expensive looking deck in there? then again with the faceplate out you probably cant tell much. I never had any break ins on my car and over the past few years ive gotten lazy and left the faceplate in
Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by James92SE

Cliff, I went to your link but it took me to a log-in page
Sorry, I will copy it to the .org ASAP.

edit**

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-video...c-kenwood.html

Last edited by Cliff Clavin; 09-05-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM

i know how you feel. a$$ wypes busted into my 89 mustang threw the sunroof, for a $50 HU. $500 in body repair (estimate). i repaired the roof my self but that was a week waisted.

you should replace the quarters with lexan maybe?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 PM

fortunately, i guess, it's only the quarter window, not the door. the lexan idea sounded interesting. have you considered one of those oem faceplate disguises?

Originally Posted by Garf
... in the second photo is that round bluish **** to adjust the mirror? never seen that before.
it's a tweeter. i think. lol
Old 09-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear. I know a guy who has had the same luck, he was sick of getting his H.U. stolen so he installed a stock H.U. as a dummy and then installed a H.U in the center console. So far so good.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 PM

damn...i kno the feelin happened to me twice.

i had a beretta gtz and let my mom drive it to work one day.
and the took the whole assembly.
which means when the rip the radio out the also took the a/c control panel.

my mercury sable the only took the face and left the radio in did'nt even attemp to try.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 PM

I assume you have alarms? Did this take place at your home? Why are you not packing heat?... The scariest sound in the world is a pump action and that'll make those POS crap their drawers... I keep a Mossberg 590 custom loaded with 9 reasons in it that no one will come into my place or my stuff...

But I'm sorry that this happened to you once again... It's a terrible feeling...
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM

No I don't have an alarm on it, and I'm not packing heat. I have a crazy neighbor who sleeps by his open window just hoping for trouble to appear. A few years ago when this same car got broken into my neighbor, Victor, snuck up on the guys and put a shotgun to their head. When they ran off he fired a shot above their heads which woke my family up so we went outside. He said one of them pissed themselves right there on the spot.

Anyway, I'm not really personally interested in being a vigilante for a $100 head unit. I'm really just more annoyed that I keep having to replace the glass and spending money to get the tint re-done. Plus, just the overall hassle it is. Ten years ago (I was 16) when my first Maxima started getting broken into it would really upset me. Nowadays, I'm just amazed that people are willing to break into my car for a measly head unit.

The car is a completely bone stock Maxima with a saggy *** and fading paint. I'm really not sure why people keep breaking into it. The freaking dude next to me has an Escalade on about 22's and a Mercedes on some rims just as big, and the neighbor across the street has a Legend on huge rims, yet for the past 10 years they just keep getting me. This time they got a head unit, but seven of the other times they got nothing.

Like I said, the faceplate was removed, so from them looking into the car at first there would have been no reason for them to think they could have gotten anything. They must have been hoping I had the faceplate in the car (which I did), so they got lucky in that regard.

Several times in the past they've broken into the car when I had no radio in it at all. It's like they don't even look through the glass first to see if there's any reason in breaking in. They just break in anyway. It drives me crazy.

A few years ago during a rare Texas snowstorm they tried to break in but the door was frozen shut. I actually caught them that time but didn't want to confront them and merely watched them fishtailing in the ice trying to get away.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 AM

What a bunch of ********. It's the risk of thieves destroying my hard work which is why I haven't installed certain things that are virtually ready to be installed and have been for some time. Nope, before I do that, I need to focus on security measures.

You ever thought of installing alarm triggered cameras?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
What a bunch of ********. It's the risk of thieves destroying my hard work which is why I haven't installed certain things that are virtually ready to be installed and have been for some time. Nope, before I do that, I need to focus on security measures.

You ever thought of installing alarm triggered cameras?
Or at least a motion detecting light for the driveway... that'd scare most off... if they're viewable from the street level...
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 PM
STFU n00b!

Don't you live in Mesquite? There's the underlying problem. MOVE OUTTA DA GHETTO.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 PM

dam that sucks. i'm gonna say just get a alarm, i accidentally set mine off a long time ago and it was only a few months after i got my 3rd gen so i didnt know how to turn it off. it went for about 10 minutes and i figured it out then. now, my 3rd gens exhaust sets off other cars alarms when i drive by
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Fox Body FTW

so sad

Thieves always take what they couldn't work hard enough themselves to get the right way.

Hope everything gets sorted out okay dude...and get an alarm system! (I didn't read any posts above so if you mentioned anything about this - I apologize)
Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Don't you live in Mesquite? There's the underlying problem. MOVE OUTTA DA GHETTO.
Lol, I don't even live in Mesquite. I live in the Pleasant Grove neighborhood of Dallas. People move out of Pleasant Grove to the nice suburb that is Mesquite *edit* Apparently, Pleasant Grove is "tha thoedest ***** f uckin place in Dallas" http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...easant%20Grove. Awesome!

Anyway, I went to the junkyard today and sourced new glass that had no tint on it. I also got a battery tray for the blue Maxima and some dash vents and the radio trim bezel that they ruined. Got a whole bunch of other little crap for a good deal because they were doing half off today.

Then I went to WalMart and got a $9 window tint kit. Came home, tinted the window first, then installed it. Piece of cake. All back to one piece for about $25. I just have to get a radio now

Anyways, yeah, I hear you guys on the alarm. I did have an alarm in the past, and that never deterred them from breaking INTO the car, so I kind of figure what's the point. Every single other time this car had been broken into previous to this it set the alarm off. But what good did it do? They still busted out my window each time, and we don't know that it kept them from actually getting the radio because I never used to actually keep the faceplate in the car.

Last edited by James92SE; 09-06-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM

What a shame. But it seems to me like they already know that you're going to install a new Head Unit so, I'm assuming that they'll try again. You should really reconsider the alarm thing. It may spook them, and hopefully that neighbor of yours too, and you know what that means .
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 AM

Park where people can see ur car if u live near a lot of people and go get a reg. gun(not to hurt anybody) but a few shots in the air should do the trick its what I had to do with the Explorer my bro had they tried to sneek in the yard and got a suprise so yeah there is nothing else u can really do about it if they took it in the night time get a motion sensor light and have it wires into something that will make a sound and alert u. im not sure just throwing things out there. I hate losers that cant just get a job and buy their own shyt
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

add a couple of these in the cab, and they won't stay in the car long enough to see the radio, much less steal it.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2494416
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
add a couple of these in the cab, and they won't stay in the car long enough to see the radio, much less steal it.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2494416
Ouch! Could you imagine if you're alarm went of on accident while you were driving, and you had those things installed?!?!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Way out West

I just have to get a radio now.
I answered your question in the FS ad.

It has a removeable faceplate, plus the "stealth mode" thing that flips the face around so it looks like it isn't even there.

money back warranty, too (minus return shipping). haha
Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM

Damn thats a shame man... I read the link about Pleasent Grove... Hell of a place man that right there is THE Reason why you keep getting broken into...And im guessing that the theives see an easier hit on an old maxima rather than a new mercedes or Escalade...thats probibly why you get broken into and not the new stuff...but anyway i kinda liek the idea of the air horns but have them on a switch so that they can only be active when the switch is on or somethign liek that...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
STFU n00b!

Lol, I don't even live in Mesquite. I live in the Pleasant Grove neighborhood of Dallas.
Okay, so my comment still stands.. just change the name of the lcoation! you're still in tha ghetto!!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:56 PM

sounds like pleasant grove aint so pleasant lol
Old 09-07-2009, 06:23 PM
bald aggression est 78

thats sucks cause thats a gorgeous car
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 PM

wait...they broke the back glass...so they had to open the door.
does'nt the factory alarm work?

if you can't hear it, it's a shame to say, but the loudest oem horn that i've heard was on the ford tempo/mercury topaz.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Well, the factory alarm does work, but it got to the point where each time I unlocked the door it would set the alarm off and the only way to get it to turn off was to disconnect the battery for an extended period of time. Even at that, about half the time I'd reconnect the battery the alarm would go right back off. So, I made the calculated decision considering the car is nearly 20 years old, bone stock, and has fading paint and disabled the factory alarm.

However, like I've been saying, the alarm doesn't stop anybody from breaking in. This was the 11th time this car has been broken into. The first 10 times this car was broken into it set off the factory alarm. Two of those times when the factory alarm was set off they still made away with my head unit (and subs/etc in my younger years). All 10 of those times they still broke a window out, so the alarm certainly never saves my glass.

So, the alarm really is pointless IMO. I mean, if I hadn't left the faceplate in the center console they wouldn't have gotten my head unit. They didn't get my head unit because the alarm wasn't working, they got the head unit because I was complacent and left the faceplate in the car (albeit not on the radio). No faceplate, no theft. However, even if it set the alarm off, they still would have broken a window out and at the very least opened the door. Considering it takes about 10 seconds to rip the head unit out, it's quite an assumption to assume they wouldn't have taken the 10 seconds to rip it out just because the horn was honking.

Beyond that, the factory alarm has only woken me up from a dead sleep two or three of the times it was set off. So, who knows if I would have woken up this time and what difference it would have made anyway
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Damn dude, sorry to hear that. Although you say they've taken your head unit even with an alarm installed, I still think that having one would help! Just make sure the LED is visible from the outside and make sure you set the sound to the loudest as well as the sensitivity..

Back in May of 2006 thieves broke into my garage where my 93 and the Gfs 89 were sound asleep and they broke into her 89 rather than my 93.. dont know why since mine had the fancy $570 Premier headunit while hers had a Rampage headunit I got for free.. They broke the same corner windows they broke on yours but on the driver side, car was quiet until the door was opened. Yes they did not expect that old car to have a factory alarm! 4am that alarm going off inside my garage alerted all my neighbors which then notified me since I was sleeping. All they took was the ash tray which had some spare change in it and thats it. Next day I fixed the window with a JY replacement.

Btw, two way pager remotes for alarms are kick ***. I have a 2 way pager alarm on my 95 and the thing beep, vibrates, or both when your alarm goes off! and it has a status display to show you what is happening. I'm sure you've seen them before and or probably even have one on a diff car

Last edited by ColombianMax; 09-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I miss my VE

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Out here in Brooklyn, sometimes a whole block gets hit with just that specific 1/4 glass broken for fun. Good for glass shops, bad for people.

I notice our interiors are very similar. I even have the tweeter in the same spot.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Damn you shouldn't put up with this anymore, I mean if this happened to me at least two times I would go crazy and start installing flame thrower activated alarms and electric shock handles or something!

But I think you should step up and buy a shotgun that shoots bean bags, its non-lethal from a certain range and you can bean their butts for breaking into people's cars. I mean 12th time isn't the charm!

I am angry for you!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
I would go crazy and start installing flame thrower activated alarms and electric shock handles or something!

I am angry for you!
LMFAO!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM

You know. I wonder if it relates to someone you know, out knows our cars. Sorry for your loss. Start looking for those security screws, you know, the screws that at not Philips nor Flatheads. It will also deter or slow them from stealing from you.