3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Which plugs and distributor cap should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Which plugs and distributor cap should I get?

Seems my max is overdue for a spring tuneup and she is not running so nicely these days. Very rich, smelly exhaust, lumpy and sputtering idle plus hesitation on acceleration when cold. Obviously its time to do some things To rule out some issues I'm going to repair whats necessary and replace some suspect parts along the way one at a time to see what my issue was. The list is as follows:
1. Engine Temp sensor
2. cap and rotor
3. spark plugs
4. fuel lines
5. vacuum lines
6. intake and ISC motor cleaning
7. resistance readings on injectors
8. New y-pipe and cat
9. Check timing (do I need to?)

So if it still runs crappy then I really have issues because I have no idea what to look at next! So any suggestions on plugs, cap and rotor?

FYI: The tranny is fine, the coils seem to be ok visually and the plug wires are new.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

plugs: ngk, whatever-fits-the-budget
cap/rotor: my durabrand works fine

edit: coils, + plug wires =
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Perhaps he means the coil on the starter that's attached to the tranny?? That being why he included them in the same sentence?
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Well, no. Those are random facts for the people who might try to diagnose my issues as the few items I have already ruled out. I find if you post about an issue you have to answer all questions ahead of time so you dont waste bandwidth telling people you already checked that part. So I'm telling people ahead of time that my transmission is not responsible for the driveability problems and neither are old wires or a faulty coil pack
Old 09-16-2009, 10:52 PM

for the extra bit of $$ (maybe $6 per plug instead of $4/plug), I always splurge and put in NGK Platinum. They also last longer. I noticed a big difference, but I was also overdue for a tune up.

On cap & rotor, I think I went with run-of-the-mill brand carried by the parts store, German name like Niehoff (??). I didn't see a big change from swapping out my rotor & cap, although they both looked worn.

I didn't see air filter on that tune up list!! I'd do that too.

yes, I'd check timing. mine was off by a degree or two and I set it back to the mark, but the manual says +/- 1 or 2 degrees (IIRC).
Old 09-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Ok good advice on the plugs, thanks. I was thinking of a bosch cap and rotor but if it makes no difference than I wont bother. I just put in a K&N filter BTW, but youre right, thats a first step on a tune up.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Update if anyone cares

Changed items 1,2 and 3 and it runs much smoother but I think I still have issues. I wound up with NGK BKR6EGP plugs. Steps 5,6,7 and 9 come next I really hope the mileage picked up, the plug gaps were way open, ranging from .48 to .52!!

Originally Posted by TWINTRBO
Seems my max is overdue for a spring tuneup and she is not running so nicely these days. Very rich, smelly exhaust, lumpy and sputtering idle plus hesitation on acceleration when cold. Obviously its time to do some things To rule out some issues I'm going to repair whats necessary and replace some suspect parts along the way one at a time to see what my issue was. The list is as follows:
1. Engine Temp sensor
2. cap and rotor
3. spark plugs
4. fuel lines
5. vacuum lines
6. intake and ISC motor cleaning
7. resistance readings on injectors
8. New y-pipe and cat
9. Check timing (do I need to?)

So if it still runs crappy then I really have issues because I have no idea what to look at next! So any suggestions on plugs, cap and rotor?

FYI: The tranny is fine, the coils seem to be ok visually and the plug wires are new.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Update if anyone cares

Changed items 1,2 and 3 and it runs much smoother but I think I still have issues. I wound up with NGK BKR6EGP plugs. Steps 5,6,7 and 9 come next I really hope the mileage picked up, the plug gaps were way open, ranging from .48 to .52!!
if it's still running funny why don't you pull codes?
ibetyouro2sensorisdeadsinceyourrunningrich
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Code is a 55, surprise surprise And the O2 sensor is new, forgot that on my sig.....oops!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 AM
mod or sell?

Ok good advice on the plugs, thanks. I was thinking of a bosch cap and rotor but if it makes no difference than I wont bother. I just put in a K&N filter BTW, but youre right, thats a first step on a tune up.
get rid of that K&N filter. If improperly oiled it will damage your maf and cause incorrect readings. Stick to a plain paper air filter unless you are running a true CAI.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
get rid of that K&N filter. If improperly oiled it will damage your maf and cause incorrect readings. Stick to a plain paper air filter unless you are running a true CAI.
I've never heard of the oil in K&N air filters screwing up MAF readings???
my brother used K&N air filters on his s13 forever.

maybe read this?
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm

Last edited by Garf; 10-20-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Garf
I've never heard of the oil in K&N air filters screwing up MAF readings???
my brother used K&N air filters on his s13 forever.

maybe read this?
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/MAFTestresults.htm
sorry, not convinced. heard of it too many times and I for one would not be willing to risk it especially since the increase in airflow off of a K&N versus stock is minimal (stock replacement K&N VS. Stock Air filer).
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM

sorry, not convinced. heard of it too many times and I for one would not be willing to risk it especially since the increase in airflow off of a K&N versus stock is minimal (stock replacement K&N VS. Stock Air filer).
ok, good for you.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I heard of this as well from a nissan mechanic. He told me to get rid of my K&N air filter b/c it would damage my maf. Well I didn't believe him and now a year later my maf is now done.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by MaximaBuilt4Life7
I heard of this as well from a nissan mechanic. He told me to get rid of my K&N air filter b/c it would damage my maf. Well I didn't believe him and now a year later my maf is now done.
been running a k&n stock replacement for over a year and a half, no problem.
you're probably doing it wrong.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Over-oiling is the main cause for MAF failure, not just on 3rd gens. If you oil the filter correctly, very very lightly, and let it set before use, you will minimize the risk of killing your maf.
The MAF is a heated wire that measure the temperature difference based on the heated wire. Heated wire + oil = No good.

As for the plugs, I've always used NGK V power in all of my Nissan and Mazdas. Works the best and only $2.00 each.
Here is a fabulouse link for Plug wires.
http://www.kingsbornewires.com/
Very good quality, and very good prices. I bought my first set of Kingsborne wires over 8 years ago. I don't have the car any more, but I would bet money they are still running strong, and looking great.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
been running a k&n stock replacement for over a year and a half, no problem.
you're probably doing it wrong.

word. ngk plugs all day.