3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My First Thread: Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM

My First Thread: Lowering Springs

Alright guys this is my first thread. I'm wanting to lower my max really bad but the whole cost thing is sort of a problem. I work at chik fil a and have four college classes to keep up, so moneys a lil tight.

I know you guys aren't to big into the eBay parts but there just so damn cheap! I would really like to buy some eibachs but, there alittle pricey. I mean I'm not wanting to take her on the track or anything, cuz she does not belong there but I do want the look. So with all that said how bad are those springs on ebay? Cuz 100 bucks is lookin nice right now. Heres the links to the springs ebay. I just dont want to make a mistake and have something brake, so I thought I'd ask some Pros.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Preciate any feedback guys
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM

r u lowering on stock struts?

i would choose Eibach but if u dont wanna spend much money go with DropZone.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

eibach pro springs.

but just a tip, i wouldnt buy it on ebay unless they are a pro seller who only sells car parts and also has 100% feedback. i bought mine from stillen, best price i found, i paid 250. ebay is kinda risky, a friends friend bought springs frmo ebay and his car collapse just a heads up. just dont pay over 250. im running on the pro springs/kyb gr2s.

stillen was on sale but i guess not anymore, im lookin here now :
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...N&model=MAXIMA

its 311 now. i looked all around for the best price, even my friends dad who owns a shop couldnt get it for me for that price. 311 is a bit pricey. but iono man up to you if you want to get it on ebay. just a heads up is all.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM

im not sure about the zenns, their description looks fancy and explains alot but you gotta find people in this forum or make a thread and ask does anyone have zenns and how does it feel and stuff like that,so that you know if its good or not.

i dont think you should get those cheap springs man.
" you get what you pay for"
may be cheap within your budget but you might not like it and will get stuck with it. and would probably end up spending more money just to fix it or put your stocks back when you should have spent that money just to get the good brand springs to begin with.

just a heads up about 2inch drop, eats up your tires quicker. the eibach pro springs drop is
• Lower Center of Gravity– Lowers vehicle 1.0”-1.5” not a bad height.

Last edited by Stwodahorty; 09-23-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stwodahorty
im not sure about the zenns, their description looks fancy and explains alot but you gotta find people in this forum or make a thread and ask does anyone have zenns and how does it feel and stuff like that,so that you know if its good or not.

i dont think you should get those cheap springs man.
" you get what you pay for"
may be cheap within your budget but you might not like it and will get stuck with it. and would probably end up spending more money just to fix it or put your stocks back when you should have spent that money just to get the good brand springs to begin with.

just a heads up about 2inch drop, eats up your tires quicker. the eibach pro springs drop is
• Lower Center of Gravity– Lowers vehicle 1.0”-1.5” not a bad height.

Thanks for the input man, I'll see if I can find anyone who has those springs, if not it'll probly just be better to spend more and get the eibachs.

How bad do you think it would eat it up my michelin mxv4's? There supposed to last a really long time, even when abused.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
r u lowering on stock struts?

i would choose Eibach but if u dont wanna spend much money go with DropZone.
Yes, but they've been replaced in the last two years.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Did you need a camber kit when you dropped yours Stwodahorty?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM

alrite to be honest a 1.00-1.5 inch drop is not bad at all. ive been running my kumho estra AST tires for a bit over 2 years, and since 3rd gen maximas are front wheel drive, the front wears out quicker than the back, when i rotated from front to back, the back looked like it wasnt even touched haha. but its not gonna make much of a difference with a 1.00-1.5 inch drop. 2 inch drop is what you need to worry about.michelins last pretty long, and even with these pro springs, thell still last you long. i still have about maybe 40% left on the front tire that i switched to the back. you wont regret getting eibach pro springs, they are good i like them alot. but you should definately change ur shocks tho, our cars are old, if you dont change the shocks itll be bouncy for you. unless you already did change it. and its better to do both all at once or else ull have to pay twice the amount just for them to take off your suspension to put on the shocks on.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM

nope, you dont need a camber kit for 1.00-1.5 inch drop, im running on 17s my wheels havent flaired out at all. but youll definately need an allignment after putting on the springs or shocks.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 PM

eibach pro springs.

but just a tip, i wouldnt buy it on ebay unless they are a pro seller who only sells car parts and also has 100% feedback. i bought mine from stillen, best price i found, i paid 250. ebay is kinda risky, a friends friend bought springs frmo ebay and his car collapse just a heads up. just dont pay over 250. im running on the pro springs/kyb gr2s.
good thing i saw this, i was gonna order eibach pros from ebay tomorrow. guess not
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
good thing i saw this, i was gonna order eibach pros from ebay tomorrow. guess not
haha, it maybe cheap but its risky, cuz they can just spray paint or rubber the springs up and print on the name and put it in a real eibach box or something. cuz in the end you dont know if its real or not. wait for stillen to go on sale, when its on sale itll be around 250 and with free shipping.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM

Aight, do you know how much those kyb struts are runnin for right now?
And as for the cost of labor thing, my dad manages a tire kingdom and we do must of the work on our cars ourselves, so i got that covered haha. Btw if you ever get that WSP pipe from Caped let know how you like it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Here's what you need to do, work your butt off at Chic-fil-a, buy your Eibachs, then become a franchisee and open a store in Portland so I can get me a Chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.

Unforgivable..
Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Here's what you need to do, work your butt off at Chic-fil-a, buy your Eibachs, then become a franchisee and open a store in Portland so I can get me a Chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.

Unforgivable..

Hahahaha I'll try man. You gotta be an employee for over 5 years to become a franchise owner so it might be awhile hahaha.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jcarryl
Aight, do you know how much those kyb struts are runnin for right now?
And as for the cost of labor thing, my dad manages a tire kingdom and we do must of the work on our cars ourselves, so i got that covered haha. Btw if you ever get that WSP pipe from Caped let know how you like it.
wow you are one lucky sob LOL no offense haha. thats good your dad manages a place where you can work on your own car man. i bought the shocks on ebay for 75 bucks for a whole set of 4 , the rears were cartridges tho, and cartridges can only be done with a specific tool that shops have, so hopefully ur dad has it. but um i took it to this place called promax, kinda screwed myself over, took it there, they didnt have the tool so they referred me to the back, since that happened, the cost was suppose to be 40, but since they reffered me to the back place bumped up to 80 so i guess they split the money. i had my fronts done by a friend, the rears i had to take to a shop. as for the WSP, i cant wait!! haha that definately needs to be changed. stock one is bs lol

Last edited by Stwodahorty; 09-23-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Hahahaha I'll try man. You gotta be an employee for over 5 years to become a franchise owner so it might be awhile hahaha.
just save money man, w.e you dont need dont buy it. especially with food. i use to just eat at home to save money and eventually the money that you saved from not eatting out you can use it to get what you need like ur eibachs
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM

wow you are one luck sob LOL no offense haha. thats good your dad manages a place where you can work on your own car man. i bought the shocks on ebay for 75 bucks for a whole set of 4 , the rears were cartridges tho, and cartridges can only be done with a specific tool that shops have, so hopefully ur dad has it. but um i took it to this place called promax, kinda screwed myself over, took it there, they didnt have the tool so they referred me to the back, since that happened, the cost was suppose to be 40, but since they reffered me to the back place bumped up to 80 so i guess they split the money. i had my fronts done by a friend, the rears i had to take to a shop.
No offense taken bro, 75 bucks isnt too bad, thats like two days worth of makin chicken sandwiches haha.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 PM

No offense taken bro, 75 bucks isnt too bad, thats like two days worth of makin chicken sandwiches haha.
yea you cant find that deal anymore haha. -_- iono i got lucky i think. they put the wrong price maybe, now its like 100 and up or something. maybe near 200
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM

how much mileage you got on ur max?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 PM

yea you cant find that deal anymore haha. -_- iono i got lucky i think. they put the wrong price maybe, now its like 100 and up or something. maybe near 200
Yah I just checked its like 199 for the whole set.

I got 226K on it and she's runnin like a champ! Me and my dad have taken real good care of her, done all the maintenance ourselves, it has a few problems, but its a great car.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 PM

your tranny ever go bad?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Yah, it did, It was my dad's car then. He had it rebuilt within the last five years. Its an Auto btw.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM

The floor's still open for anyone who has any experience with these eBay springs lol.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM

lol just dont go with them man, even if someone says they are good, they arent a major brand. but yea man my tranny went bad too, im driving a 93 auto vg, got it changed for 650.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Whooo, I'd be in trouble if mine went out again. Did yours use to be manual?

In one of your sigs it looks like theres an intercooler in your bumper, is yours turbo'd?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM

lol just dont go with them man, even if someone says they are good, they arent a major brand. but yea man my tranny went bad too, im driving a 93 auto vg, got it changed for 650.
Aight man, I trust your advice eibachs it is haha, Its just so hard cuz I got a list a things want to do it and I cant commit to one haha
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Got Retrofit?

Both Zenn and Dropzone are garbage companies IMHO. Just save up and go with Eibach's, Intrax, or Sprint's.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:35 PM

eBay springs: 0, Eibach: 3

Eibachs wins, haha
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Aight man, I trust your advice eibachs it is haha, Its just so hard cuz I got a list a things want to do it and I cant commit to one haha
you want to make money make an ebay account and sell stuff you dont need thats in ur house, youll be suprized to what sells. even old items sell. might even be vintage or collectables, u can make money quick.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Damn good idea bro, I just saw a listing for eibachs for 238 shipped, Power seller, and 98.5% Pos. Feedback.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Damn good idea bro, I just saw a listing for eibachs for 238 shipped, Power seller, and 98.5% Pos. Feedback.
yea i saw his negative feedback, they wrote " tried to sell an item he didnt have" LOL thats pretty dum
Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Haha wow, well it'll be awhile for I can fork out the cash for both the springs and struts, so maybe there will be better deals then, but thanks for all the advice man.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Haha wow, well it'll be awhile for I can fork out the cash for both the springs and struts, so maybe there will be better deals then, but thanks for all the advice man.
cant youre dad get hooked up on the shocks
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm actually not sure what he's able to get, I feel like its all stock replacement stuff that he has, but I'll ask him. I actually didn't know I had to replace them before this thread haha.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:39 PM

i think he mite be able to get kyb gr2s, you mite as well ask him if he can get eibach springs dude. never know
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my personal suggestion is to get struts first, then springs, if you can't get them at the same time. ESPECIALLY if you have any inclination that the current struts are going (or already gone). think of it as infrastructure.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:30 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

When I was 16 I just heated my coils to lower the car. To be honest, it didn't feel much worse than Intrax/ST/Sprint/etc
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 AM

I read somewhere that some people just cut the stock ones. Maybe that will do for the time being if you are on a budget.

Anyone done that?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
When I was 16 I just heated my coils to lower the car. To be honest, it didn't feel much worse than Intrax/ST/Sprint/etc
Lol. Ive seen that done. Its pretty funny to watch the car drop like that but i dont think you can really get it exactly even.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 AM

My friend actually has some eibachs on his 3rd gen that he wants to get rid of. Probably on for like 12-13k miles. Only thing is he threw out his stock springs so we need a set of those. Ah well....we are not willing to spend money on stock springs lol.

Quick Reply: My First Thread: Lowering Springs