3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The Problems Continue...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM

The Problems Continue...NEED HELP

Well to add on to my list of problems... My car died today... Got in it to head to school and got about a half a mile down the road and it didnt feel right so now im stuck home...ANYWAYS....I got back and parked and smoke/steam was coming from under the hood so i popped it and took a look there is antifreeze leaking from up under the from valve cover is and dripping on the y-pipe and tired to start it and it didnt want to start so i stopped and let the car rest go back to crank it and then a cloud of white/blue smoke comes out of my tail pipe and still was burning from under the hood. So i lookin and my overflow was just popping bubbles... why i have no idea... i stopped and went back outside and what do u know she doesnt turn over at all.... Ive about had it with this car and it might go up forsale soon or ill trade it in for a '01 SE but can somebody help me? THIS SUCKS!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

sounds like a blown head gasket, with the coloration of the smoke, and the fact that the coolant was leaking from up under the valve cover (which covers the head)... i bet you have intermixed coolant and oil perhaps both in your oilpan and radiator. sounds like time for a new motor if you want to fix it (easier and perhaps cheaper than fixing a blown HG, for the cheap price of JY motors these days)
Old 10-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
sounds like a blown head gasket, with the coloration of the smoke, and the fact that the coolant was leaking from up under the valve cover (which covers the head)... i bet you have intermixed coolant and oil perhaps both in your oilpan and radiator. sounds like time for a new motor if you want to fix it (easier and perhaps cheaper than fixing a blown HG, for the cheap price of JY motors these days)
Yeah thas what i thought it was too because it was all on the ground and it looked like coolant but when i put a rag on it it was brownish so yeah i guess shes gone... I did see an engine on ebay would that be a good idea it has 85k on it.

If i do deside to sell it whats tha most it will go for? $900 the body is good and the inside couldnt be any cleaner.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Yeah thas what i thought it was too because it was all on the ground and it looked like coolant but when i put a rag on it it was brownish so yeah i guess shes gone... I did see an engine on ebay would that be a good idea it has 85k on it.

If i do deside to sell it whats tha most it will go for? $900 the body is good and the inside couldnt be any cleaner.
not sure i trust ebay for an engine... tho some people do get them off ebay. a jy motor (with new oil seals, new water pump, and new timing belt kit) can be had for $300 total if you turn in yours as a core. you can also just pull the head and take it to a shop to have it checked out, and reinstall w/ a new head gasket and new head bolts... either/or.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM

not sure i trust ebay for an engine... tho some people do get them off ebay. a jy motor (with new oil seals, new water pump, and new timing belt kit) can be had for $300 total if you turn in yours as a core. you can also just pull the head and take it to a shop to have it checked out, and reinstall w/ a new head gasket and new head bolts... either/or.
This is crazy man... the one on the bay didnt look too good but i just found another one that for sale for $1500 is like a forest green... My aunt has one just sitting in her yard also im going to check on that too but if I do get a new engine should i just replace as much as possible? or only replace whats needed to be.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Head gasket for sure I had the same problem about 2 months after I got my 1st car which happened to be a max about 5 years ago. What i had done was i just had my father and uncle fix it which included having the heads bored (which they fortunately weren't warped form overheating) and replacing the gasket itself...the whole process w/ price tag was i think about 500 bucks. We ended up replacing the water pump and timing belt just to be safe.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did all my work to my car with a Chiltons manual no experience and it cost me under $300. Most of that was in tools.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Britishwookie
I did all my work to my car with a Chiltons manual no experience and it cost me under $300. Most of that was in tools.
lol. you're a wookiee too!

This is crazy man... the one on the bay didnt look too good but i just found another one that for sale for $1500 is like a forest green... My aunt has one just sitting in her yard also im going to check on that too but if I do get a new engine should i just replace as much as possible? or only replace whats needed to be.
always do the tbelt/tesioner, water pump, and oil seals. anything else is up to you. of course some items can be transferred from your current engine, such as sensors, injectors, etc. total cost of the "mandatory" items should be under $200
Old 10-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

some guy in canada 1993-VG30-GXE can fix the heads for him.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SFMax
Head gasket for sure I had the same problem about 2 months after I got my 1st car which happened to be a max about 5 years ago. What i had done was i just had my father and uncle fix it which included having the heads bored (which they fortunately weren't warped form overheating) and replacing the gasket itself...the whole process w/ price tag was i think about 500 bucks. We ended up replacing the water pump and timing belt just to be safe.
Originally Posted by Britishwookie
lol. you're a wookiee too!

always do the tbelt/tesioner, water pump, and oil seals. anything else is up to you. of course some items can be transferred from your current engine, such as sensors, injectors, etc. total cost of the "mandatory" items should be under $200
Originally Posted by DanNY
some guy in canada 1993-VG30-GXE can fix the heads for him.
Good news but another quesition... My aunt is going to let me buy her whole car for $500 they had it sitting in the yard because the tranny is messed up 1st gear is gone and they cant fine the title so im just gonna use the parts good new about this is the engine only has 164k on it the on in my car has 260,xxx I started it up and it runs real smooth... so im going to get that up out of there ill make a thread for the process i guess. but anyways heres the question.

My car is a '92 GXE, her car is a '94 GXE and the engine set up looks really different i seen a few things that are not under my hood thats under hers...what kind of problems will i be looking at.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Good news but another quesition... My aunt is going to let me buy her whole car for $500 they had it sitting in the yard because the tranny is messed up 1st gear is gone and they cant fine the title so im just gonna use the parts good new about this is the engine only has 164k on it the on in my car has 260,xxx I started it up and it runs real smooth... so im going to get that up out of there ill make a thread for the process i guess. but anyways heres the question.

My car is a '92 GXE, her car is a '94 GXE and the engine set up looks really different i seen a few things that are not under my hood thats under hers...what kind of problems will i be looking at.
lemme see...

her injectors are different (different fuel rail, o-rings, pintle caps, and connector)
her intake manifold probably has an EGR-BPT valve bolted onto it
she probably has a EGR temp sensor

should be it. basically you can put your injectors (well basically the whole fuel rail as one assembly), egr valve, and intake manifold on it if you want to, then it'll be identical to what you already had.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-14-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: forgot egr valve
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM

yea 500$ for a running motor, and any other misc. parts that will be more worn out on your car compared to hers. that would be a good call. plus when you're done your swap you could part it out. there's always.org members looking for parts.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM

lemme see...

her injectors are different (different fuel rail, o-rings, pintle caps, and connector)
her intake manifold probably has an EGR-BPT valve bolted onto it
she probably has a EGR temp sensor

should be it. basically you can put your injectors (well basically the whole fuel rail as one assembly), egr valve, and intake manifold on it if you want to, then it'll be identical to what you already had.
is the engine on hers a better engine or its tha same with just different setup i think one of my injector were bad anyways... but this will give me a chance to clean out my engine bay also and replace all the hoses i never got to do that on the one i have now. but if there any pix of a 94 engine?

ok kool will ill just post pix of the car here and ask questions if needed...but it did look kinda funny to me.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 PM

is the engine on hers a better engine or its tha same with just different setup i think one of my injector were bad anyways... but this will give me a chance to clean out my engine bay also and replace all the hoses i never got to do that on the one i have now. but if there any pix of a 94 engine?

ok kool will ill just post pix of the car here and ask questions if needed...but it did look kinda funny to me.

yeah the only things I noticed that were a little different in the 92 to 93 and 94 model GXE's are that the 92 and earlier models have the coolant reservior tanks on the passenger side. The 93 and 94 models have an ABS control unit in place of the coolant tank, also the coolant tank is relocated to the driver side near the battery. The injectors are different, and thats about all I noticed.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well the 94 motor had the round-tooth timing belt, which imo is an upgrade over the square tooth one. so make sure you get the tensioner spring specifically for a 94 round-tooth belt.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:57 PM

for $200 in parts i wouldnt know what to do you guys... right now im just looking for another engine and tranny to see if there is a better deal then $500... her tranny is gone but yeah ill try to keep u guys posted and post pix as i go along. if u know where i can get a good tranny and engine for a good price let me know ASAP.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

for $200 in parts i wouldnt know what to do you guys... right now im just looking for another engine and tranny to see if there is a better deal then $500... her tranny is gone but yeah ill try to keep u guys posted and post pix as i go along. if u know where i can get a good tranny and engine for a good price let me know ASAP.
well the thing is unless you KNOW that the timing belt and stuff were done recently, you are gonna have to drop that $200 into any replacement engine you buy w/o a service history. That's why the VE guys are lucky in that regard, cuz they have a timing chain, which cuts their engine-prep costs in half (just oil seals and water pump).