3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine mount / tranny mount issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 10:30 PM

Engine mount / tranny mount issue?

My car has a "thunk" when leaving stop signs. I suspect that I probably have one or more bad tranny or engine mounts. What are the "common" mounts to go bad? Anyone had one break before? I honestly haven't even looked at it or started to try to figure it out. I just thought that I would ask to see if anyone had a good starting point.

Thanks,

Brian Murray
87 RX-7 Turbo II (w/mods)
89 Maxima (daily)
Old 12-05-2001, 12:13 AM

Re: Engine mount / tranny mount issue?

Originally posted by Brian_TII
My car has a "thunk" when leaving stop signs. I suspect that I probably have one or more bad tranny or engine mounts. What are the "common" mounts to go bad? Anyone had one break before? I honestly haven't even looked at it or started to try to figure it out. I just thought that I would ask to see if anyone had a good starting point.

Thanks,

Brian Murray
89 Maxima (daily)
sup dude, check your front motor mount.. its auto right? pretty sure its the front.. its right below the exhaust manifold, if you get under your car check the crossmember its right there.. next to the alternator..

But first before you go out and buy a new motor mount check to see if its the front one..

Open up your hood and leave it open.. Now put your car into Drive. HOlD THE Brake down. and give it a little gas. if the front of motor moves up and down.. its front one...

try this in reverse. if the rear of the motor moves up and down its the rear ( but rear is not the one that breaks , its usually the front one)

my front one broke on me like 3 different occations, luckily the one i bought from auto zone, has a life time warrenty so i just get a new one each time, for free. paid for the first time like 60 dollars with life time warrenty

its pretty easy to install, and take out

1. First what you do is use a jack to lift up the cross member
2. Then on the engine mount it self (it has 3 bolts, one to engine, two to crossmember) unbolt both of the bolts on the bottom of that engine mount. (leave those bolts in place)
3. Now unbolt the top one as well but leave it in like the bottom two.
4. Now unbolt two bolts where the crossmember is bolted to the frame, under the radiator.
5. lower the jack that is holding up the crossmember, the engine should slowly come down with the jack.
6. After the jack has let the engine down.. take out the 3 bolts and remove the engine mount.. put the new one in.. and put in the bolts..

tighten them, jack up the crossmember with the jack and bolt the two bolts that go into the frame.
after they are bolted in. go back and retighten, all three bolts with a torque wrench.. then retighten the bolts that go into the frame..
Old 12-05-2001, 07:26 AM

Re: Re: Engine mount / tranny mount issue?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mykizism
[B]

sup dude, check your front motor mount.. its auto right? pretty sure its the front.. its right below the exhaust manifold, if you get under your car check the crossmember its right there.. next to the alternator..

Nice description of the install. FYI, the auto and manuals have diff. front mount, as you might know. Mine is a manual and it's the rear mount that is the problem. 60 buck for lifetime warranty mount? That's a good deal, I'll look into that.
Old 12-05-2001, 02:40 PM

Mykizism- that was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks man... I'll check the front motor mount.

Thanks,

Brian Murray
89 Maxima (daily)
Old 12-05-2001, 04:46 PM
STFU n00b!

As male said.. the auto and 5 spd mounts are different.. if it's still a VG, I would suspect the 5 spd mounts would fit and are stronger.. my VE 5 spd mounts are MUCH stonger looking than my VG auto mounts..

either way, I would recommend filling them with urethane no matter what you get if you plan on driving your car hard. you gain a little vibration at idle, but nothing to gripe about. feels like a honduh sitting at a light instead of a cadillac.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:35 PM

Cool thanks. I'll probably just stick with the normal mount. Mine is an auto and I really don't drive it hard. (The RX gets the abuse) I am just getting tired of hearing "THUNK" all the time :-)

Thanks,

Brian Murray
89 Maxima GXE (daily)
Old 12-05-2001, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
As male said.. the auto and 5 spd mounts are different.. if it's still a VG, I would suspect the 5 spd mounts would fit and are stronger.. my VE 5 spd mounts are MUCH stonger looking than my VG auto mounts..

either way, I would recommend filling them with urethane no matter what you get if you plan on driving your car hard. you gain a little vibration at idle, but nothing to gripe about. feels like a honduh sitting at a light instead of a cadillac.
haha yah thats what i did with mine, i was starting to get sick of them breaking all the time
Old 12-06-2001, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by mykizism

haha yah thats what i did with mine, i was starting to get sick of them breaking all the time
What should I fill em with?? JB weld or the like??