3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

double whammy question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

double whammy question.

so i have two questions for the .org

1) how hard is it to swap in a pathfinder intake manifold. like where do the vacum lines go and all that stuff.. and is it better for the engine..

2) is there any way to switch from a digital gauge cluster to a normal analog cluster?
does anybody have a writeup of that? maybe sum sort of diagram?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
so i have two questions for the .org

1) how hard is it to swap in a pathfinder intake manifold. like where do the vacum lines go and all that stuff.. and is it better for the engine..

2) is there any way to switch from a digital gauge cluster to a normal analog cluster?
does anybody have a writeup of that? maybe sum sort of diagram?
The pathfinder intake manifold flows better, but you will have hood clearance issues, IIRC someone on here did it with about 3mm of space left between the manifold and the hood.

If you go on youtube and search for maxima digital gauge swap or something like that you will find videos with links to info on the analog to digital swap, so you could backtrack all that to find out how to do the reverse swap.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:36 PM

for the cluster swap, you have to swap wiring, so basically remove your digital cluster wiring and replace it with normal cluster wiring. would be a bit of a bear to do
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM

The fuel meter in the tank will have to be replaced as well when switching from digital to analog.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbbons25
The fuel meter in the tank will have to be replaced as well when switching from digital to analog.
thats not wat i wanna hear.. lol
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM

yeah you have to do the fuel meter too, really the swap is a PITA. IIRC you have to do something with the tranny wiring harnesses too
Old 03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
No turbo, no care!

For an N/A maxima, your better off using the quest/villager intake as opposed to the pathfinder. The quest/villager intake has a rotated throttle body which will point toward the front of the car instead of to the rear.

You will need both the upper and lower manifolds and throttle body. You may need to bore the holes for injectors on the lower manifold (I did) so yours will fit. Perhaps the most difficult part of the swap will be the intake accessories. For the IACV he easiest thing to do here is find a shop that can weld aluminum and use the maxima IACV on the new manifold. If you need to pass emissions you will have to figure what to do about the EGR. I decided not to bother since I don't have to even take emissions here.

Now for turbo guys, the pathfinder upper intake manifold rotated 180 degrees will put the throttle body in the front left side of the engine bay, so minimal tubing is needed to get to the intercooler.

Now, for practical purposes there is no indication or proof either of these manifolds "flow better" for NA engines. The design of a medium plenum with long runners should provide increased low-end to medium torque at the expense of top end. Another advantage should be more even cylinder filling.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
For an N/A maxima, your better off using the quest/villager intake as opposed to the pathfinder. The quest/villager intake has a rotated throttle body which will point toward the front of the car instead of to the rear.

You will need both the upper and lower manifolds and throttle body. You may need to bore the holes for injectors on the lower manifold (I did) so yours will fit. Perhaps the most difficult part of the swap will be the intake accessories. For the IACV he easiest thing to do here is find a shop that can weld aluminum and use the maxima IACV on the new manifold. If you need to pass emissions you will have to figure what to do about the EGR. I decided not to bother since I don't have to even take emissions here.

Now for turbo guys, the pathfinder upper intake manifold rotated 180 degrees will put the throttle body in the front left side of the engine bay, so minimal tubing is needed to get to the intercooler.

Now, for practical purposes there is no indication or proof either of these manifolds "flow better" for NA engines. The design of a medium plenum with long runners should provide increased low-end to medium torque at the expense of top end. Another advantage should be more even cylinder filling.
why wouldn't the IACV on the quest's intake manifold/tb/wherever-it-is-located work? are the internal electronics incompatible with the maxima's stock wiring?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

wow. i figured it would have just been a bolt on sort of deal. lol
Old 03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
why wouldn't the IACV on the quest's intake manifold/tb/wherever-it-is-located work? are the internal electronics incompatible with the maxima's stock wiring?
The simple answer is no.

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
wow. i figured it would have just been a bolt on sort of deal. lol
If it was that easy you would see more people using the pathfinder/quest intakes. (or anyone for that matter)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

The simple answer is no.

If it was that easy you would see more people using the pathfinder/quest intakes. (or anyone for that matter)
yeah.. i guess your right.