3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

91 MAX totaled

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:14 PM

91 MAX totaled

So I'm picking up my first 3rd Gen MAX, it's a 91 that has been in an accident and the frame is supposedly bent. Runs great has new trans, new front struts and aside from the front end appears to be in good shape. I say supposedly bent because the front wheels seem to be lined up where the should be in the wheel wells and even, so if it were bent much it would seem they'd be slightly out of place. I'm getting the car in exchange for labor on the new car they got so I'm going to try and see how fixable it is. Any suggestions on problem areas (typical from front end collision) I should be looking at? Or if the car is beyond repair what parts should I be looking to strip off to sell? If I decide to strip it I'll be keeping the engine and radiator fans for one of my Z's. I'll have more details once I pick it up obviously but figured I'd try to get some ideas before hand. I'll post pictures once I receive it as I'm sure everyone loves pictures.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

auto or manual? since it's a 91 i already know it's got your favorite engine (VG30) lol, but sadly the VG's auto sucks ***** on the maxima. obviously the condensor and radiator and cooler loop for the power steering are targets in a front end collision, as well as the upper and lower radiator supports. but other than that, as long as the car runs fine and everything works on it then you should be OK. the "good" thing for your situation is that since FWD cars tend to have the front wheels all the way back by the firewall, odds are that the suspension is still intact even if some of the frontal stuff did bend.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM

it's an auto, and generally I feel autos in any car suck *****, lol. And yes it does have my fav. engine, minus the turbo of course. I'm familiar with the VG so it's a huge benefit for me to have a VG. I mean I have 2 cars with a VG's already and I'm looking at buying a VG33 while I'm at it. suspension seems to be in tact from what I can tell, though I haven't gone through it as much as I'd like to, but I can't pass up the deal so I'm picking it up. My biggest concern is going to be the frame, everything else I can fix myself, it was more of the side of the car but in the front, the radiator seems to be in place upon a quick glance, starts right up and drives, no leaks that I saw. I figured if worst comes to worst I get the engine and radiator fans and it'd be worth the work I did, anything else I can sell. But it would be so much better if I can repair it. I guess once I get it here I'll get it up on ramps, pull all fenders off the front, inspect everything a bit further then I'll hammer out the fenders close to make sure there's nothing else not lined up and see how she sets. Then I'll be able to decide if I should buy new parts or part it out. Is there a common weak spot in the frame that usually bends?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

Even though this was towed away, I drove it home. It had all my suspension/engine stuff. I miss those wheels actually

Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 PM

was the frame bent? did the suspension sit right? how well did it drive? Any advice?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

It drove straight. So I don't think the unibody was bent where the suspension was. But a rear crash would entail both rear quarters, trunk etc.. all be welded in. WAAAYYY too much work for such an old maxima. And that wreck was 5+ years ago?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 AM

see being the front of this car everything is replaceable, my real worry is the frame, I guess no way of knowing much till I get her here.