3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My first maxima and my first car got damaged this morning!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM

My first maxima and my first car got damaged this morning!

Transmission/ Transmission shifter linkage kaput

Drivers door gouged and scratched

fender

hood

bumper cover/ part of reinforcement

One headlight, Bulb on damaged headlight destroyed, and the other headlight's bulb got destroyed, because it was knocked out of the housing.

corner lense

tire and wheel

control arm

strut

cv joint

tie rod

Frame member running under the hood/fender IS bent.

out of alignment (Like, to the extend that you need your knuckles white on steering wheel out of alignment)

Checked the oil, <1 quart left and still dripping

Negative battery cable, somehow torn out of the terminal.
car was running with 100% function prior to the accident

Pictures to come later

Will I never ever drive this maxima again?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

So what happened exactly?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM

what did you do? slide sideways or flip it on the drivers side?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i'm still trying to figure out how the shifter linkage got messed up... auto or manual? and what year is it?

body stuff is just body stuff.. for anything drivetrain related, depending what year/trim/transmission you have will dictate how easy it'll be to get it to work again.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 04-06-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
STFU n00b!

frame is bent? car is totalled. it would cost more to fix than to buy another and move on. sorry.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
frame is bent? car is totalled. it would cost more to fix than to buy another and move on. sorry.
I agree! It would cost way more than what the car is worth to fix all that stuff. If the engine and tranny are good and if you really like the car, just look around. Lots of people are selling 3rd gens for dirt cheap, alot less than what it would cost to repair yours.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
STFU n00b!

Just from first guess from reading your post, that's a $5-6000 dent. $3000+ 3 weeks of work if you fix it yourself.

with that much damage, I'm betting you broke the tranny too- often a hard hit like that will jam the axle into the tranny case and break stuff..
oil leaks? bottomed out the engine on the ground?
ifit's only got 1 qt of oil in it and you're still driving it, don't bother moving that engine to another car.

pull off what's left of the car that's still good, and tow the rest to the scrap yard. it's simply recycling material now.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

frame member that goes under the hood, you mean the actual unibody frame or cross member? There's a HUGE difference between frame being bent and cross member being bent so be clear on that. If the frame is bent, it'll cost more than it's worth to fix it, though it can be fixed. Everything else can be replaced. I'm picking up a Max the frame is supposedly bent but the way they know is because the oil pan sits on the cross member, so I'm not so sure it's an issue. Won't know until I strip it down and look myself. Even if the frame isn't bent and you replace all suspension components it probably won't drive the same, 9 times out of 10 in an accident like that either mounting points are bent and or after suspension components are replaced other areas were affected but not noticed. So it will never feel the same again unless you go through the suspension with a fine tooth comb. It'd be much simpler to find a new Max and grab usable parts from that one.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Way out West

Just from first guess from reading your post, that's a $5-6000 dent. $3000+ 3 weeks of work if you fix it yourself.

with that much damage, I'm betting you broke the tranny too- often a hard hit like that will jam the axle into the tranny case and break stuff..
oil leaks? bottomed out the engine on the ground?
ifit's only got 1 qt of oil in it and you're still driving it, don't bother moving that engine to another car.

pull off what's left of the car that's still good, and tow the rest to the scrap yard. it's simply recycling material now.

Just doing some basic math tells me it's not worth fixing.

Too bad about the car, hopefully you have insurance or it was another driver's fault and they have insurance.

Sounds like a parts car at this point. Hopefully, you will be able to get another one if you really like the 3rd gen. Pretty nice ones can be found dirt cheap right now. Must be the economy or some lack of interest in them, overall.

It is extra sucky that it is your first car. If it makes you feel better, my first car was a 1972 Datsun 510 2 door with NO RUST and I was T-boned by a drunk driver with no insurance.

Last edited by Cliff Clavin; 04-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by richard_85zxt
frame member that goes under the hood, you mean the actual unibody frame or cross member? There's a HUGE difference between frame being bent and cross member being bent so be clear on that. If the frame is bent, it'll cost more than it's worth to fix it, though it can be fixed. Everything else can be replaced. I'm picking up a Max the frame is supposedly bent but the way they know is because the oil pan sits on the cross member, so I'm not so sure it's an issue. Won't know until I strip it down and look myself. Even if the frame isn't bent and you replace all suspension components it probably won't drive the same, 9 times out of 10 in an accident like that either mounting points are bent and or after suspension components are replaced other areas were affected but not noticed. So it will never feel the same again unless you go through the suspension with a fine tooth comb. It'd be much simpler to find a new Max and grab usable parts from that one.
I'm thinking if THAT particular cross member is bent - then it pulled the unibody with it - so most likely BOTH are damaged.

This is true - and to get it back to the it was would take years of adjusting, if it's even able to be put back together.

Honestly - pull anything 'aftermarket (that's not damaged) off the car and let it go... Get another one, they aren't that expensive, may take a bit of looking, but be persistent and you'll find YOUR CAR....

Pics??

Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
I'm thinking if THAT particular cross member is bent - then it pulled the unibody with it - so most likely BOTH are damaged.

This is true - and to get it back to the it was would take years of adjusting, if it's even able to be put back together.

Honestly - pull anything 'aftermarket (that's not damaged) off the car and let it go... Get another one, they aren't that expensive, may take a bit of looking, but be persistent and you'll find YOUR CAR....

Pics??

It is probably quite possible that if the cross member is bent that the frame is bent as well, though it is possible it was just the cross member, and I'm guessing he took it to a shop and that's what they told him. If that is the case damage is often over quoted for a reason, however, regardless I still think a new MAX would be his best option. Still waiting on those pics, we are impatient people!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
STFU n00b!

I've broken a few front crossmembers in my car over the years, but it was alwyas due to hard shifting and hard engine mounts. they fatigue and snap right under the front engine mount. fortunately every time that's happened i just buy another crossmember and it fits right into place- no bent frame stuff.
But if the car was hit hard enough to cause the rest of the damage above- front control arm is bent and strut is damaged, as well as tranny/engine damage, then I'm 98% sure the frame is tweaked in some way, shape, or form. this is something you don't want to fix on a $1000 car.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Lots of jacked up 3rd gens lately..
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43 PM

What happened was that I was pulling into a parking lot at night, someone parked in their truck about 20-30 yards straight ahead started towards me (I could hear the engine and the silhouette) and turned on their headlights.

In other words, a wannabe insurance fraud tried to hit me. He was aiming for the airbag module in the center of the car, but since I long saw him coming, I was able to pull an evasive maneuver early. In the effort to knock me out, he cut his losses and kept plowing into my car until my full throttle broke me away.

You see, because he wasn't able to knock me out, he had no way of telling the police (truthfully) that I was intoxicated and that I hit him on my way in. I got out of my car with my friend and confronted him very loudly (He attempted to take off, but his failed effort tore his tie rod, so he was stationary but with tires squealing).

He gave me his ins and d/l, location of his residence and phone number, and I quickly left, because when I sat down in my car, my friend and I ventured a guess that these people may be murderers, who struck the wrong car. I pulled my half-torn fender through 1 bolthead to tie it to my door and I hightailed it home, with my slack front-left wheel assembly rubbing from the front of the fender, to the rear of the wheelwell, scraping hard against my chassis as I accelerated and braked.

As we speak, I tried to import pictures from my phone, but it won't work.

The unibody IS bent, because the rail that the fender bolts to along the top (adjacent to the edge of the hood) is squeezing the battery, overflow and the radiator towards the airbox. My trunk has stopped opening too.

The car is a complete write off, according to their ins adjuster who came by my house today to look at my 1994, but I will have to present documentation of my work on the car over the years (At least $4500.) for a proper compensation, not to mention I can't work my two jobs OR go to school on my own 6 days a week at 2 different campuses DURING midterm season. AND not to mention the stress I went through dealing with uncooperative cops who showed up to the scene later that I myself had called over there, the perpetrator denying fault the following day, and the fact that I went to a friend in the local PD to run the VIN and having it show nothing.

The stress ended up landing me in the hospital, with me calling a ride over there for a tranquilizer and a physical to ensure that my body wasn't injured. I was lucky enough to not get hurt and to win this case without talking to the idiotic officers or the ***** that destroyed my car.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM

I tried sending a pic from my phone to my email and it worked!

The 4k mile old tire wore down to the cords while I drove the car home.

I recall going to 115 mph, slammed on the brakes and it slowed me down to 65 mph with a crashing sensation

I even pulled on a Mercury Marauder and an AWD Murano from a dead stop.

I treated this car right, and it treated me right. I got the car from my parents about a year ago-March 09, I drove it around 19k miles. In my old maintenance schedule there's even a spot for injector cleanings and everything.

I had good time after good time in this car too

This is a car that will be missed. It was my first car, and a great car at that. What the hell car is sold today with as many features and only weighs 3200#? Another 3rd gen is definitely in my future. It was the last year of any car that I could completely wrench on by myself.

Last edited by colinod; 04-11-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Sorry I left everybody hanging. I only drove the car home about 8-10 miles to where it was in my driveway and I called it quits with driving it. It's a 1994 GXE auto. I haven't bothered to pinpoint exactly where all of the oil left to, but the point being is that it's not in the car anymore.

I have been all over town and everything having to get straight with school again and at the same time working on winning the case, which is why until now y'all haven't been able to hear the rest of this story.

I don't think I'll keep any parts of the car, because everything is out of place. I found out the keypad had even silenced the touch tones when I was opening the car for the claims adjuster to take pictures of the interior. But I'm not letting them tow my car for KBB.

Oh and about the linkage issue... the transmission wasn't shifting improperly on the way home, but i had to move the shifter in between the 'D' and the '2' in the gate in order to put it in drive.

Last edited by colinod; 04-11-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by colinod
You see, because he wasn't able to knock me out, he had no way of telling the police (truthfully) that I was intoxicated (...)

He gave me his ins and d/l, location of his residence and phone number, and I quickly left, because when I sat down in my car, my friend and I ventured a guess that these people may be murderers,

So:

(A) You were drunk.
(B) The murderer gave you his insurance info and his drivers license.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Oh yeah it's ****ed. Live and learn. Get a 5 speed SE and move on.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
So:

(A) You were drunk.
(B) The murderer gave you his insurance info and his drivers license.

No I was sober going back home from a hunting expedition. 30-06 in my trunk.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Oh yeah it's ****ed. Live and learn. Get a 5 speed SE and move on.
Yes my next purchase will be a 1994 SE 5spd
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Smart man
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by colinod

No I was sober going back home from a hunting expedition. 30-06 in my trunk.
In that case, why did you let the guy leave the scene? you could stop him from 1000 yards!!

sorry to hear the rest of what happened. effing criminals everywhere. they suck. should be shot.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM

In that case, why did you let the guy leave the scene? you could stop him from 1000 yards!!

sorry to hear the rest of what happened. effing criminals everywhere. they suck. should be shot.
No he told me where he lives his personal # and his dl/ins info. He didn't even dare ask me for my driver's license or ins info even when my friend suggested "Hey Colin let's get the **** out of here." I asked around the Pasadena PD to make sure he doesn't skip town, but they said they couldn't do that.

EDIT: Mind you it didn't involve brandishing the gun. It stayed locked in my trunk. Me and my friend were towering over this character though, after I ripped the fender through one bolthead and curled it over the doorsill.

Last edited by colinod; 04-12-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Because I was unsure about letting everyone know where this happened