3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Doing condensor..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 09:22 PM
I miss my VE

Doing condensor..

and I had 3 quick questions that Im hoping can be answered..

1) Was just wondering if the system can be vacuumed using something from autozone or it needs a special vac machine? In that case the only option is a shop right? I was hoping to get this done without any extra services, and just a can of freon from AZ, but it seems it won't be that easy. Right? How much do they usually charge for vac/recharge?

2) I removed the condenser a few days ago. Do I necessarily NEED the receiver drier, or is this something you can chance? What happens if you don't replace it? My friend whos funding this project as usual is on a tight budget lol..

3) And finally, what is the exact name for the gaskets that I will need to get from Autozone to put in between the condenser, and the fittings coming from the upper and lower A/C hoses? I heard theres a universal kit at AZ, but those "parts experts" have no clue what your asking them till you tell them whats in the computer, or once you find it and stick it in their face by when it defeats the whole purpose of them being there other then check-out purposes.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-08-2010 | 01:24 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Well, he needs to pay Brian first then he can get refrigerant
Old 06-08-2010 | 07:40 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by VEvolution

1) Was just wondering if the system can be vacuumed using something from autozone or it needs a special vac machine? In that case the only option is a shop right? I was hoping to get this done without any extra services, and just a can of freon from AZ, but it seems it won't be that easy. Right? How much do they usually charge for vac/recharge?

2) I removed the condenser a few days ago. Do I necessarily NEED the receiver drier, or is this something you can chance? What happens if you don't replace it? My friend whos funding this project as usual is on a tight budget lol..

3) And finally, what is the exact name for the gaskets that I will need to get from Autozone to put in between the condenser, and the fittings coming from the upper and lower A/C hoses? I heard theres a universal kit at AZ, but those "parts experts" have no clue what your asking them till you tell them whats in the computer, or once you find it and stick it in their face by when it defeats the whole purpose of them being there other then check-out purposes.

Thanks everyone
Well, you need a vacuum pump. Autozone rents them, or at least they used to. If you supply the refrigerant, shops usually don't charge THAT much for vac/recharge. What you could do is hook the system all together, then immediately run it to a shop and have them vacuum/charge it. I did this on my Civic one time and it was only about $55

Yes you need to change the receiver/dryer. You don't HAVE to, but if you don't, the a/c won't be able to get very cold, and he air it blows will "feel" noticeably humid. It's only ~$20 bucks... if your friend can't/won't spend $20 bucks then sheesh..

They're just called a/c o-rings. They probably can't look up the exact size o-rings you need. What you have to do is buy a box of assorted sized o-rings, and then as you replace your parts, take the stock o-ring off, match it up to the correct size from the new ones, stick the new one on, and so on.
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by VEvolution

Thanks everyone

you need something that can hold the vac for a long period of time. i think it needs to go down to at least 1 bar or something for 30 min.

you MUST replace the drier. esp since it's been opened for a few days. you should never open the system w/o the replacement part ready to go. it just cause more issues for you since you're brining in more dirt and etc into the system.

like james said...but they do sell kits where it's a pack of green o-rings for your car.

where are you located in NY?
Old 06-08-2010 | 09:57 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by James92SE
Well, you need a vacuum pump. Autozone rents them, or at least they used to. If you supply the refrigerant, shops usually don't charge THAT much for vac/recharge. What you could do is hook the system all together, then immediately run it to a shop and have them vacuum/charge it. I did this on my Civic one time and it was only about $55

Yes you need to change the receiver/dryer. You don't HAVE to, but if you don't, the a/c won't be able to get very cold, and he air it blows will "feel" noticeably humid. It's only ~$20 bucks... if your friend can't/won't spend $20 bucks then sheesh..

They're just called a/c o-rings. They probably can't look up the exact size o-rings you need. What you have to do is buy a box of assorted sized o-rings, and then as you replace your parts, take the stock o-ring off, match it up to the correct size from the new ones, stick the new one on, and so on.
Thanks James. I'll make him get the receiver/dryer.

Originally Posted by DanNY
you need something that can hold the vac for a long period of time. i think it needs to go down to at least 1 bar or something for 30 min.

you MUST replace the drier. esp since it's been opened for a few days. you should never open the system w/o the replacement part ready to go. it just cause more issues for you since you're brining in more dirt and etc into the system.

like james said...but they do sell kits where it's a pack of green o-rings for your car.

where are you located in NY?
Thanks Dan. Yeah, I figured it wasn't such a good idea to get the condenser off without putting a new one in, but he needed fans, and because the bumper support is pushing on everything there from the crash, theres only room for 2 out of the 3 rectangles that belong there(fans, rad, condenser) so we had to leave the condenser out. Now he has the bumper and support, so there will be room for the condenser.

Im in Brooklyn btw.