3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Why Do I

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

don't do it. my brother forced me to help him through his honda stage.
there is a reason he isn't looking back (and embarrassment is only part of the reason)
and "mpg" is bull****. driving a POS is not worth $5 at the pump.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Banned

idk. im kinda interested in how "bad" it would be. haha. im excited to conquer sumthin new. but like i said. nothing is set in stone. the guy might flake out..
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM

Please man......... please......dont. Dont become part of a crowd, and dont let your curiosity take over lol

and im adding to my prayer list "that the mexican dood with the riced out honda flakes out" hahahahahahahahha
Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

hahahahahah.. jonathan. lmao.

i just relized that you really need to update that sig man.. talk about misrepresentation. haha.

but really. hondas have grown on me. i want it.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hatmanafro
idk. im kinda interested in how "bad" it would be. haha. im excited to conquer sumthin new. but like i said. nothing is set in stone. the guy might flake out..
You haven't even conquered your instrumentation yet. I guarantee you that you'll find renewed interest if everything on the inside of your car worked. Especially after you see what i've been busy doing with my car. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but you'll be kicking yourself for getting rid of it because you will realize you once had something that was similar. Bad time to give up on your car man.

Send me that PM that you were supposed to send 3 months ago. Even if you do sell it, at least everything will work and it will be easier to sell. And for a higher price.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 AM

just dont do it lol. i dont think you've hung out with the guys with Supras and such that just laugh when a Honda with a wing and can flies by.

simple things make a big difference, i almost died of happiness when my 3rd gen got lowered. such a difference

you've got a rust free 3rd gen in good shape minus cut up fenders, keep it. the only reason i can see for getting a Civic is if you need a cheap race car that you can get cheap aftermarket parts for
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 AM

If u wanna conquer something new why not try to better yourself or should I say your ride. What about an Audi A4 w/turbo, there good on gas and really move for a 2.0 or like I did a Volvo 850 w/turbo. I still have my Max and the Volvo 850, which is better on gas and very nice inside/outside, plus easy to work on. I really don't think a Honda is a good trade off from a Nissan Maxima but I've owned over like 50 Auto's, so I have a little experience, not to leave out the fact that I worked in the automotive industry for some years and got to work on/test drive a wide variety of automobiles. At the end of the day though, it's all about what makes you happy and that's the bottom line. I just luv my Max for many reasons and I will not part with such an excellent experience of owning her. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, she is the best auto I've ever driven in her class at the time she hit the street. Even to this day she drives beautifully and when I bought her I was sooo impressed with the quality of her ride and the fact that I didn't pay a beamer price for a quality ride amazed me. Good luck my dude.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hectic
You haven't even conquered your instrumentation yet. I guarantee you that you'll find renewed interest if everything on the inside of your car worked. Especially after you see what i've been busy doing with my car. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but you'll be kicking yourself for getting rid of it because you will realize you once had something that was similar. Bad time to give up on your car man.

Send me that PM that you were supposed to send 3 months ago. Even if you do sell it, at least everything will work and it will be easier to sell. And for a higher price.
hahaha.. you do got a point. i stilll have to do that. ive been puttin that off for a minute now. im gonna be honest, doubt its gonna happen bro. im just gonna let her go if i can.

btw. what have you been doing to your car?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM

bought some Volk racing rims for the 3rd gen today FTW

still gonna say dont do the Honda

Last edited by chrome91; 09-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

they better be te-37s
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM

not te37's i think lol. he wanted 240 obo and i offered 200 and he said sure, they have a few small scuffs and one has a bit of green spraypaint on it but whatever.

i just want to sell my Momo rims now
Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Banned

pics?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM

pics?
none yet, going to pick them up tomorrow hopefully

i love the Momo's, i bought them from a guy who imported a Z32 and crashed it. the rims were on the Z in Japan. theyre way too big for a 3rd gen though lol, rears have 295's and fronts are 235's. theyve sat for a year and i have no use for them, put $200obo but im happy with $150 even. i wish i could find another set of front rims so i can use these on my 3rd gen and ditch the rears but i doubt i would ever find a set, i dont think North America even got these rims

Last edited by chrome91; 09-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 PM

i checked Momo USA and even in the archives, they dont have these rims so Japan probably only got them.

they therefore get the Chrome91 Mad tyte JDM seal of approval
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 PM

i have third gen and seem to be broke at the moment lol...i sold my r33 skyline gts-t (im in australia) to pay for my wedding and the left over money i wasted on a few other cars and i am now driving a 3rd gen...but i have done some mods and will post pics when i am allowed too
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by sleek3
i have third gen and seem to be broke at the moment lol...i sold my r33 skyline gts-t (im in australia) to pay for my wedding and the left over money i wasted on a few other cars and i am now driving a 3rd gen...but i have done some mods and will post pics when i am allowed too
R33 are chubby looking R32 and R34 will always be the best

you can post pics in the 3rd gen picture thread without having 15 posts
Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Sell me those rims chrome
Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 PM

hahaha.. you do got a point. i stilll have to do that. ive been puttin that off for a minute now. im gonna be honest, doubt its gonna happen bro. im just gonna let her go if i can.
No problem, but you would be robbing yourself of a much higher selling price. The most you'll get is probably $500 compared to an easy $1k, even if the car runs great. It's the difference between selling a car to someone who wants to fix things and flip it, opposed to someone looking to buy a daily driver. The daily driver buyers are looking for a car where everything works, and they always pay more when they find one

Originally Posted by chrome91

i love the Momo's, i bought them from a guy who imported a Z32 and crashed it. the rims were on the Z in Japan. theyre way too big for a 3rd gen though lol, rears have 295's and fronts are 235's. theyve sat for a year and i have no use for them, put $200obo but im happy with $150 even. i wish i could find another set of front rims so i can use these on my 3rd gen and ditch the rears but i doubt i would ever find a set, i dont think North America even got these rims

No, no. Those are Momo Arrows and they were available in North America throughout the 90's. They are cool rims, just get new tires and throw them on the Max. I used to want to do the same before I wrecked the one that that was going to be mine
Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 AM

So what is the problem with not many people modding them anymore, it creates more unique-ness. That is what keeps me enjoying mine. I have stuck more into her than most have and I still find something more to do. I enjoy the fact that it is unique. I think about selling often, getting into something with more aftermarket support and RWD, but then I consider the one-offness.

Hell, I am driving a 4 door that turns heads, That alone is kinda fun

Last edited by jonmandude; 09-20-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
No, no. Those are Momo Arrows and they were available in North America throughout the 90's. They are cool rims, just get new tires and throw them on the Max. I used to want to do the same before I wrecked the one that that was going to be mine
Orly? good catch lol, ive been wondering what theyre called

if they might fit a 3rd gen with new tires i might keep them as summer rims and the Volks as winter rims, i thought the Momo's wouldnt fit because right now the rears have stretched low profile 295's
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM
ujm

I'm probably on of the few that wants my Maxima to be a somewhat fun and reliable car for transportation - Not really wanting to do a lot of mods or anything.

I've got a Porsche 944 that I've rebuilt for when I want to do the sporty handling kind of a thing, but I'm pretty sure the Maxima will leave the 944 for dead in a drag race or many other forums of straight line competition.

Then again, I've been into motorcycles for decades, currently riding a 1989 FJ1200, so when I feel the need to speed, well, the Maxima is not it for that -

But I have a 40 mile one way commute every day and plan on using the Maxima for that - with the Warpspeed YPipe and a good tune, well, it should be more than adequate for he job.

I really dig the car, not sure why, it grows on you.

Maybe some old Mustang wheels, some new shocks and - wait, wait a second!

Last edited by ujm; 09-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 AM

Now that I got my biatch on the road...she's bucking and stalling like a mule.

I edited the babble...found the problem.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 09-21-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Who cares if Hatman wants a Honda? Nissan guys hating on Honda is just as ignorant/stupid/teenage-ricer behavior as Honda guys hating on Nissans.

I will start driving this puppy here in the next couple of weeks and basically exclusively drive it right up until next summer. I washed it and drove it for the first time in months today. I need to get my "real" wheels back on it, but need to get some flats fixed on the tires:

I love it (and the '79 Civic in the pics) just as much as my VE's. It is incredibly slow, yes, but I've restored it inside and out, and it is fun to drive believe it or not. Plus, my VE's don't get 40 MPG and can't fill up for $20. And virtually any generation Civic is an infinitely better car than any Sentra that was ever produced by Nissan..

I'll put my VE loyalty/obsession right on par with the best of you other 3rd genners. But that doesn't mean I ONLY like Nissans or even only imports for that matter. Some of you guys need to expand your horizons

And Hatman - no hating on first gen rx7's. If you look closely, that's a first gen rx7 in my garage getting an ls1 transplant
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

lmao.. what are you gonna do man? haters gonna hate..

FB RX-7 suxxxx. haha

but thats a clean EF. haha. you shuld slam it! and put sum diamonds on it!
hahaha. nahh jk.. i would do that tho.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:41 PM

they better be te-37s
fuuck yes, genuine Rays TE-37, all 4 for $200 his buddy had them on his Skyline and gave them to him but he doesnt have a car anymore
Old 09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by chrome91

they are momo arrows, not some super rare jdm thing.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice work James
Old 09-21-2010, 11:24 AM

but thats a clean EF. haha. you shuld slam it! and put sum diamonds on it!
hahaha. nahh jk.. i would do that tho.
I usually have these on it, but have two flat tires at the moment.

I don't want to slam it because I like being able to use this as a true DD and drive anywhere. I do want to lower it just about an inch though but I can't seem to find any lowering springs that aren't gaywad 3" drop and stuff.

I can do it with some coilovers, but I don't want to spend $700+ just to lower it an inch and don't want to use those crappy sleeve-overs either. I might just cut the springs, we'll see
Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

James, I just wanted to clarify my position on hondas: great cars, reliable, easy to work on, safe, good (real company) aftermarket support.

I just don't like hondas, because not one (out of a dozen or so) that I have driven has the spirit my maxima has. the list includes preludes (86, 93, 96, 97, 99) a few accords (91, 93, 96, 97), and a civic (wanna say it was a 91?).
the stock ones are fun, but they don't feel like they are alive, just machines.
modified ones (esp that 99 'lude) are even more lifeless. faster than hell, can handle about as good as a miata), but not alive.

my maxima, and my sister's 4th gen (before it was totaled) both had a feeling, like they were listening for you to tell it what to do.
and i am not the only one in my family who has commented on this (that's not what they say, but how they say it).

as to your civic, looks clean, but before cutting springs, I would recommend some eibachs. should give you the stance you are asking for.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

Im a true 3rd genner i just put a thousand dollars in suspension repairs and still am not done soon to be buying upgrade parts from matt93se if he still making and selling them.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM

I know what you mean by feeling kind of lifeless, but that's just really an econobox phenomenon more than anything. Other bodystyle Civics that I've driven seem to suffer more from this lifeless syndrome than the EF (89-91) Civics, though. Even stock underpowered ones are just kind of "neat" to drive. My best friend has a stock/very clean '90 Si hatchback that he loves to drive just as much as his modded '04 Mustang GT (in fact he comments many times that he actually likes driving his EF more than the Mustang). His Si is a blast to drive! It doesn't feel lifeless at all even though it's all stock. I mean it only has something like 120ish hp, but it can get up and go (or at least "feel" like it being so small/relatively low to the ground)

And mine is still fun to drive, believe it or not, even though it's pretty darn slow!

Doesn't have the "life" of a VE, but it's fun in its own way. I guess its hard to explain unless you're (like me) a major sucker for a clean EF

H&R makes some .75" lowering springs (perfect) for the EF but they're much more money than I want to spend on the car. I'll hunt around and see if I can get some used ones

Anyway, back to the fact that many 3rd gen owners won't man up!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

I don't see why some join maxima.org if they aren't true enthusiasts Besides asking questions on how to fix something
Old 09-21-2010, 03:05 PM

James92SE.... Nice EF I love those cars. Theres just somthing addicting about them. My brothers got one that i helped him build that has an F23-dseries trans swap boosted that runs low 11s... fun cars. You cant really compare them to maximas because its like apples to oranges, two different categories
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM

i was an enthusiast until i sold it...now i want another one for fun
Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by James92SE
I usually have these on it, but have two flat tires at the moment.

I don't want to slam it because I like being able to use this as a true DD and drive anywhere. I do want to lower it just about an inch though but I can't seem to find any lowering springs that aren't gaywad 3" drop and stuff.

I can do it with some coilovers, but I don't want to spend $700+ just to lower it an inch and don't want to use those crappy sleeve-overs either. I might just cut the springs, we'll see

uhhhh
clean *** EF.. are those xxrs? hella clean. u shuld get OGs. hahahaa. and yeah man. cut them springs. be a true honda driver.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
I don't see why some join maxima.org if they don't ask questions on how to fix something
i can relate

nice photoshopping on that sig btw.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Who cares if Hatman wants a Honda? Nissan guys hating on Honda is just as ignorant/stupid/teenage-ricer behavior as Honda guys hating on Nissans.

I will start driving this puppy here in the next couple of weeks and basically exclusively drive it right up until next summer. I washed it and drove it for the first time in months today. I need to get my "real" wheels back on it, but need to get some flats fixed on the tires:

I love it (and the '79 Civic in the pics) just as much as my VE's. It is incredibly slow, yes, but I've restored it inside and out, and it is fun to drive believe it or not. Plus, my VE's don't get 40 MPG and can't fill up for $20. And virtually any generation Civic is an infinitely better car than any Sentra that was ever produced by Nissan..

I'll put my VE loyalty/obsession right on par with the best of you other 3rd genners. But that doesn't mean I ONLY like Nissans or even only imports for that matter. Some of you guys need to expand your horizons

And Hatman - no hating on first gen rx7's. If you look closely, that's a first gen rx7 in my garage getting an ls1 transplant
damn James you are worse than me. i thought i had more cars than you but apparently you beat me. by the way liking your civic hatch. i myself also love other cars than just Nissans. im into the Honda world as well as BMW and domestics. this ongoing hate with riced out hondas and other cars is just plain childish. i've seen riced out Nissans as well as other cars out there. at the end of they day everyone is unique and others like to stand out more than others whether riced out or not.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
bald aggression est 78

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
Im a true 3rd genner i just put a thousand dollars in suspension repairs and still am not done soon to be buying upgrade parts from matt93se if he still making and selling them.
+1 I like the other gens but i cant get away from the 3rd gens just finished an interior swap, replaced the carpet, did a driver and passenger map pocket lighting upgrade or mod whatever you wanna call it, full stillen kit. heck even gotta spare vg with a manual trans laying around i plan on keep it as long as i physically can