3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension refreshments

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 PM

just be careful with Ebay FSTB, some are crappy. i can bend mine with a pair of pliers so its probably doing very little to nothing
Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
just be careful with Ebay FSTB, some are crappy. i can bend mine with a pair of pliers so its probably doing very little to nothing
yeah those prices did make me a lil suspecious of the quality but I have a good friend of mine thats selling me what HE thinks is a racing techniques fstb & rstb
Old 12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by coolsun
No problem, Just an update, those poly bushings for the front sways made a huge difference on the vehicle's turn in to the corners, or maybe its just that i had a busted bracket and worn out endlinks? In the end i think it was worth it, rather than a new front sway
here how the broken one looks
That bracket does look like it would be causing some trouble for you

Does the Blehmco stage 2 tie bar replace the front sway by any chance?

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
Well now got two more pieces to add to my suspension refreshment. Two remaned rear calipers. Now almost all new suspension and brakes done lol just need to replace rear rotors when i do rear BBK and front calipers and pads as well as rotors when front BBK gets done.
Sweet rear calipers dude. Why the hell do those things always go bad? Good deal on them? My buddy needs one for the passenger rear.

Originally Posted by BklynsmoeVE
Thanks a lot coolsun appreciate the well explained response I was alrdy planning on going with kybs was jus a lil hazy on the poly bushin part..I had no idea about that fstb tho rly glad I held off buying one jus yet thanks again!
You should go all out and get the Otto fstb.. I believe thats the most expensive one available? Its nice and thick though.

Originally Posted by chrome91
Appreciate the heads up chrome.. Yeah for the price, its kinda hard to believe they do anything at all.

yeah those prices did make me a lil suspecious of the quality but I have a good friend of mine thats selling me what HE thinks is a racing techniques fstb & rstb
Aren't you a happy camper?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 AM

haha yeah I sure am..I also want to replace all of my motor/tranny mounts im not sure if there are 4 or 5 all together and if there are any higher quality brands i should search for.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Banned

haha yeah I sure am..I also want to replace all of my motor/tranny mounts im not sure if there are 4 or 5 all together and if there are any higher quality brands i should search for.
Four mounts two motor two trans no Aftermarket mounts available last i checked. Just Polyurothane fill all mounts.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Banned

Right now painting calipers and brackets with silver caliper paint as to not have my parts looking ugly. Now waiting on paint to dry will post pics once complete.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Here are the pictures of my replaced calipers after removing old ones. Also took the time to remove caliper brackets as well and paint brackets and calipers with silver caliper paint.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM

Four mounts two motor two trans no Aftermarket mounts available last i checked. Just Polyurothane fill all mounts.
Thanks a lot I remember reading about the poly filling. For some reason tho all the usual parts websites and ebay have only been showing me the "front driver side" tranny mount (manual) I haven't been getting anything else but that which led me to believe there's only one but since there's two should the latter be the rear driver side or somthing?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Thanks a lot I remember reading about the poly filling. For some reason tho all the usual parts websites and ebay have only been showing me the "front driver side" tranny mount (manual) I haven't been getting anything else but that which led me to believe there's only one but since there's two should the latter be the rear driver side or somthing?

Called my Nissan parts guy and got you the front and rear transmission mount part numbers. Front left hand 1122085E00 rear left hand 1132085E02
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Vevolution i work at autozone and get discount on hard parts and various other parts. Got both for $120 after trading in the cores.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Called my Nissan parts guy and got you the front and rear transmission mount part numbers. Front left hand 1122085E00 rear left hand 1132085E02
thanks for the parts numbers i really appreciate you going through the trouble for me but as of now my head is really turning. Im searching through all these parts websites discountautoparts/autopartswarehouse/etc and some say engine mount front driver side then i get some that say rear driver side THEN i get some that say rear passenger side..... which leads me to believe theres 3 motor mounts..are they just messing up with the names or sorting them out poorly? Lastly the transmission mount is more of a headache on almost all the websites they either dont specify what kind of tranny mount it is front/rear? left/right? And if they do all it says is front driver side or "transmission mount" thats it..I would love to buy all the mounts from one website might get a deal on shipping or somthing but it seems like this "second" tranny mount is too exclusive to find or they dont make it anymore anyone got any links please? would be a huge help
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM

so...not to spam posts..but I wish I had called my friend up at nissan sooner(before i posted a maxima.org distress call ) for some reason he told me otherwise, he said that there are 3 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount for the se 5spd..which kind of explains what Ive been looking at on all these links..lemme kno what you guys think!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Banned

I've owned and worked on 3rd gens for 8 years it's two motor mounts two transmission mounts. If i must take pictures to show you i will. Your friend is not correct because i even verified with my Nissan parts guy from Bruce Titus Nissan in Tacoma WA about the mounts and locations. The transmission mounts are named insolatures
Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

front motor mount.

rear motor mount

front transmission mount/insulator

rear transmission mount/insulator

Last edited by elusivemax93; 12-15-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM

I've owned and worked on 3rd gens for 8 years it's two motor mounts two transmission mounts. If i must take pictures to show you i will. Your friend is not correct because i even verified with my Nissan parts guy from Bruce Titus Nissan in Tacoma WA about the mounts and locations. The transmission mounts are named insolatures
ahh you know what I honestly didnt mean to give you the impression that your wrong I was just simply trying to understand why there are 3 mounts online and one tranny mount and it says rear driver motor mount nd passenger im guessing because its really a tranny "insulator",...I too had no idea about that term but im afraid to buy these 3 "motor mount/insulators" and somthing is not right they're listed as mounts where I look for online but nothing by the name of insulators..not that your wrong lol I just dont know where to turn ill buy any two tranny mounts at this point just as long as I know theyre different!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

ahh you know what I honestly didnt mean to give you the impression that your wrong I was just simply trying to understand why there are 3 mounts online and one tranny mount and it says rear driver motor mount nd passenger im guessing because its really a tranny "insulator",...I too had no idea about that term but im afraid to buy these 3 "motor mount/insulators" and somthing is not right they're listed as mounts where I look for online but nothing by the name of insulators..not that your wrong lol I just dont know where to turn ill buy any two tranny mounts at this point just as long as I know theyre different!
It's all good go to www.nismoparts.com look for contact info get the phone number and call Jeff from that site he will get you Nissan oem mounts at prices no other dealership can beat. Courtesy Nissan can't even beat there prices. I know ive priced parts from both sites and courtesynissan charges sales tax for out of state purchases as were nismoparts doesn't just shipping.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I miss my VE

elusivemax93, those calipers are looking fresh. nice job. the rotors definitly look like they could use some replacing.. i hope they aren't this bad, are they? and thanks again for all your help

Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

No my rear rotors just have surface rust as i have been replacing alot of parts for a whiles now so she has just sat. Rotors are still good just need to sand off the surface rust. I got her shipped from Washington state in April and been investing alot of my extra money in replacing all front end suspension and then the rear shocks. Then did all brake hardware all around and caliper pins and bolts as well as rear pads. Now finishing up total clutch system replacement. Then on to valve cover gaskets injector o rings and injector seats as well as one bad injector on cylinder number five and both intake manifold gaskets. Think that will sum up repair and replacing. Also replacing both clutch and brake fluid with all synthetic just like i did with my power steering fluid. Power steering is now using mobile one syntec auto trans fluid. And last but not least flush the engine put on my k and n oil filter and add 5w30 royal purple syntec oil with lucas syntec oil additive. Not a cheap rebuild and repair of my baby. Oh also did two brand new hubs from Nissan four wheel seals and two wheel bearings and bunch of other crap lol I'll post my complete pics of everything done later lol
Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Well now got two more pieces to add to my suspension refreshment. Two remaned rear calipers. Now almost all new suspension and brakes done lol just need to replace rear rotors when i do rear BBK and front calipers and pads as well as rotors when front BBK gets done.
That's what I want for Christmas. Who re-manufactured these.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Autozone sells them as for who i believe duralast does.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I miss my VE

Having a bit of trouble locating the tranny mounts through aftermarket. Is it true that they only make just one kind?

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?PN=...e-Transmission Mount

edit: does the rear transmission mount fit both VE and VG? says so here

http://www.drivewire.com/search/?PN=...ocation-Driver Side

Last edited by VEvolution; 12-23-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Nissan oem insulators aka mounts. Center insulator.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM

sorry about the delayed posts..been rly bsy with finals and work..so I'm about to purchase these two motor mounts from this place here...

http://www.discountautoparts.com/Sho...d+Misc&mode=PA

but theres also a tranny mount listed there but im not sure if thats the rear or front one..now on the site you link you gave me last I think that just confused me a lil more..lol I see theres just a plain "insulator" #10 I believe im guessing thats the "rear" one I been looking for all along cause thats the link you left. I was wondering though what are those other insulators aka mounts ( not brackets ) like "insulator center" #7 and then "insulator center" # 2...would replacing all these insulators create a smoother ride for me..or its not nessecary. I believe I failed to mention this before but im kind of doing a suspension overhaul..(control arms,inner-outer tie rods,bj's,stabalizer links,kyb gr-2 with eibachs, rear parallel link poly bushing, and then all my mounts/insulators) thing is im waiting to have everything before I send it to the mechanic but only thing is holdin me bak are these tranny insulators.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

First of all, why aren't you guys using Rock Auto? Rock Auto has the same Beck Arnley mount for more than $10 cheaper, and even has the Anchor brand mount cheaper. Plus, you get 5% MORE discount at Rock Auto with the readily available via Google discount code (I'll make it easy for you - type this code 45805293757023 into the "how did you hear about us?" box to get an extra 5% off your entire order). Seriously, Rock Auto has every other online aftermarket parts retailer owned in every capacity - price, shipping, speed, catalog (ESPECIALLY the catalog) etc.

I'll try to clean up some confusion here. First of all, I don't believe you can purchase the rear manual transmission mount aftermarket. I've never seen one for sale. The front (sometimes called "left") manual transmission mount IS the same for manual VGs and VEs.

Here are BOTH VE manual transmission mounts (I filled these but you get the idea):

In the left of my picture is the front (sometimes called "left" in aftermarket) manual transmission mount. This is on the "front" of the transmission right under the battery. On the right of my picture is the "rear" transmission mount (this is the one I don't believe is available aftermarket - this is NOT the same as the auto rear mount). The "rear" mount is behind the axle, under the brake booster, near the firewall.

Last edited by James92SE; 12-30-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned

Lol James i only buy oem transmission and motor mounts myself don't trust aftermarket. Bklyn my bad forgot most cant read blown up semantics of automotive parts. Working in dealership before and in constant contact with my oem parts dealer helps me understand the pictures and what im looking for.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks a lot james I totally forgot about that website I use to use it a bit back in the day but don't know why I started drifting to these other links but yeah you def cleared up a lil confusion abiut the right/left front/rear issue. So I think I'm just going to order these mounts rock auto got then order the exclusiv insulator from jeff at nismo elusives friend. Yeah tho elusive haha its alright I appreciaite the effort itself it was just that I cldnt imagine it getting any more confusing but it kinda did tho I'm always interested in learning I better be a mount/insulator guru after this lol
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 AM

Lol James i only buy oem transmission and motor mounts myself don't trust aftermarket.
Well I don't buy any I just fill/repair the original OEM ones when they go bad
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by James92SE
Well I don't buy any I just fill/repair the original OEM ones when they go bad
I don't have to anymore either i also polyurothane filled mine. But before i knew i replaced mine with oem ones. Jeff from nismo parts is good people he gives me great deals on alot. Like a R32 floor pan of a GTR 32 granted he had it for a R32 that got totaled out by insurance lol.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM

Yeah that guy seems like cool peeps lol thanks for the hook up so yeah gonna order the one from rock auto that's actually named cuz there's two one saying front tranny mount nd the other just saystranny mount just my luck lol so ima get the one with the name and then hit up jeff for the rear to be on the same side...question if I do not polyfill my mounts does that mean they are prone to wearing quicker like wld I get a rough ride sooner not filling them as opposed to filling them?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Nvm bout the poly question I just remembered now columbianmax saying increased engine vibration and I'm trying to do the total opposite..I want it as smooth,quiet and soound as much as possible
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM
I miss my VE

James and elusive, thanks again guys

He also got some of these.. Tryin to get some Eibachs atm. I heard their discontinued but also heard you can still snag some if your lucky.

Never did the rear suspension on these cars. I assume those are more then just inserts at the rear, right? Except I remember seeing strut assemblies back there.

Last edited by VEvolution; 12-31-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:00 PM

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...6311140189losp

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ni...ache2763111401

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...63111401losp89

I checked eBay just a month or two ago and there were several sets on there for the 3rd gen for $240ish shipped... but I can't find them now
Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VEvolution
James and elusive, thanks again guys

He also got some of these.. Tryin to get some Eibachs atm. I heard their discontinued but also heard you can still snag some if your lucky.

Never did the rear suspension on these cars. I assume those are more then just inserts at the rear, right? Except I remember seeing strut assemblies back there.

Yes rear is cartridge inserts. Eibachs are hard to find hit salvage yards ive seen lowered maximas before in salvage.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM

Who are you planning on murdering with that huge *** knife?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

I had KYB GR2 struts didn't like the ride still to slow in response. Wish i could find some KONI reds.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM
I miss my VE

http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...6311140189losp

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ni...ache2763111401

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...63111401losp89

I checked eBay just a month or two ago and there were several sets on there for the 3rd gen for $240ish shipped... but I can't find them now
Thanks for the links. I stumbeled upon those too awhile back, but I was also reading in other threads that they may just have them listed but might not actually have anymore left. Good to call and check.

Yes rear is cartridge inserts. Eibachs are hard to find hit salvage yards ive seen lowered maximas before in salvage.
Most here in NY would not spend the money on Eibachs. They run most 3rd gens to the ground here. Everybody and their mother has a leased car. Doubt I'd find any at the salvage yards.

that does look like a sharp knife.

I had KYB GR2 struts didn't like the ride still to slow in response. Wish i could find some KONI reds.
Real shame they dont make the KONIs anymore. Wish I coulda felt them one day. Never happened. Compared to these front Gabrial struts with 40k miles, stock springs, and rear struts that haven't been touched in who knows how long, anything would be an extreme upgrade.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

I just put Gabriel ultras on mine all around.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 PM

he doesnt get mad, he gets stabby

and yeah good luck trying to find some new Tokico's or Koni's anywhere in Canada or the US, i myself called most suppliers in Canada and the US, and my buddy who has connections tried everyone and nobody has leftover sets, i tried messaging sellers on Ebay to see if they REALLY had them in stock, never got a response and bought them and weeks later got a response that they cant get them

the best was one seller said "all listed items are 100% in-stock" and it was for 3rd gen Tokico's, of course that wasnt right and it took forever to get a refund
Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
You rock coolsun

doubleclutch, thats a sweet engine bay btw, whats that purple box on the firewall?
Sorry, just seen this post. Thanks, I need to clean the engine bay and detail it. That is the controller/distribution box for the 55 dry shot zex system.

I had to come back to this thread to see what people have been doing to replace parts. Just had my front bearing checked, need to replace both.

So, I got a lot of stuff to fix and replace this tax season.

Quick Reply: Suspension refreshments