3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima Up In Flames

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:53 AM

Maxima Up In Flames

MAXIMA IN NEED OF HELP!!!!! I HAD A RADIO PUT INTO MY CAR BY A BEST BUY ******* B/C I WAS WAY TO BUSY TO DO SO. A WEEK LATER AT THE SAM TIME BOTH MY SPEAKERS SMOKED A WHOLE LOT AND THEN WENT INTO FLAMES. I LOST THE CAR TO FIRE AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY LEGAL OPTIONS ARE. THEY WANT TO TAKE IT TO COURT FOR 5 GRAND I THOUGHT THAT WAS RETARDED. ANY SUGGESTIONS
Old 12-28-2001, 11:02 AM

Re: Maxima Up In Flames

Originally posted by millerb
MAXIMA IN NEED OF HELP!!!!! I HAD A RADIO PUT INTO MY CAR BY A BEST BUY ******* B/C I WAS WAY TO BUSY TO DO SO. A WEEK LATER AT THE SAM TIME BOTH MY SPEAKERS SMOKED A WHOLE LOT AND THEN WENT INTO FLAMES. I LOST THE CAR TO FIRE AND WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY LEGAL OPTIONS ARE. THEY WANT TO TAKE IT TO COURT FOR 5 GRAND I THOUGHT THAT WAS RETARDED. ANY SUGGESTIONS
You suffered some smoke inhalation from the fire right? Tell Best Buy they can pay you a fair amount for your max (I'm not suggesting any extortion by the way) or they can turn a property damage claim into a property damage AND personal injury claim.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Maxima Up In Flames

I hope you are okay. Sorry about the Maxima. I just had speakers installed at Best Buy last week. No smoke yet!

Consult with a lawyer. I know they are evil but one could help you explore your options and a strongly worded letter from a lawyer instead of you could work wonders on Best Buy's attitude.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:36 AM
STFU n00b!

you need to speak with the manager of the local besy buy.. have your insurance company make the call, if you're not up on the legal aspects of what has happened. make sure your insurance company is involved in this- ESPECIALLY if you have full coverage on the car.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:48 PM

Go file a claim. Once they are surved they will work fast to try to get this out of there way. You dont need a lawyer when serving papers but you might want one if you go to court.

SuDZ
Old 12-28-2001, 12:50 PM

Oh by the way, I am also sorry to hear about your car and hope you were okay.

SuDZ
Old 12-28-2001, 02:32 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your car. If the interior was all the got burned, i'm sure you could fix it back up.

The first step is to think about what you want from best buy. Think about all the investments you've made into the car, the actual worth of the car.

Best buy has to pay you for the value of your car and beyond. They have to compensate for neglegence, risk of possibly harming you, trauma (doubtful), and then you can't go to work because you dont have a car (hint hint).

This is a much more serious case that you would think. Their stupidity caused a fire which could have hurted you severly or even killed you. If you had a baby tucked into a baby seat, who knows.

You're looking to recieve about $20,000-50,000.

Let your insurance company know first of all. Then consult a lawyer. Don't just get one that's talk the talk. Look for a reputable one, they'll know the ins and outs about how to get the most compensation for you. Don't feel sorry for sueing best buy, you're not sueing the people who installed your stereo, you're sueing the company. So don't feel you're taking food off of someone's table.

Don't be tacky and say..oh it was a mistake and this and that..you would be singing a different song if you got burned. If this had happened to me after all the time i spent behind my car and all the money i invested in it, i would make sure they paid me more than $50,000.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:34 PM

The thing you should absolutely NOT do is talk to best buy yourself. The things you say could and definitely will affect the outcome of this case. Your attorney and the insurance company should be the only ones to speak to these people.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:29 AM

Re: Maxima Up In Flames

sorry about your max!!! but i agree with sudesh...don't talk to best buy because they will probably try to bs you. definately talk to your lawyer and insurance company though! i know that if that happened to me, i'd squeeze everything i could out of them and wouldn't accept any bs.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Maxima Up In Flames

Wait, wait, wait. You had a radio put in, right? Not new speakers too? If it was just the radio, you'r gonna have to come up with some sufficiant evidance that the radio was directly linked with the speakers catching on fire. What speakers were they? Front or rear? Most likely, if it was a short, it would have effected your radio as well. And their fault would be the wiring harness, not the speakers. I'm not taken sides, I'm just curious as how a radio would be linked with the OEM speakers catching on fire? Now, if they installed the speakers as well, than that's a different story. I'd sue their *** till they couldn't feel it. But if they are in fact the OEM speakers, then you should consult some place that installs car sterios for a reason that the speakers would catch on fire. It may have been coincidental that best buy put the radio in only a week before the speakers caught on fire, but they may not be linked to it at all. Just make sure you're sure it was them before you start pressin law suits.

Oh, and I hope you learned your lesson about having someone put a head unit in for you. Next time either do it yourself or find a profesional. Do everything yourself, and you know it's done right.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:37 PM

AA *** i hope

DAMN... guys.... i just put my amp and 2 subs in..... i wired every thing from the rear bose speakers AFTER the bose pre-amp.... am i going to die????????????????? O god some one tell me

IM me :ChrisCheezer
Old 12-29-2001, 10:24 PM

woah, to high level right? you SHOULD be ok. . .actually that's the only way you can do it is after the amp. before the amp won't have enough for a good signal. .
Old 12-30-2001, 12:42 AM

Ive been around car audio long enough, and this is the first time ive heard of a spkr catching fire!

Was it just one, or two, or was it all four? Are there aftermarket amps installed?

What year maxima was it?
Old 12-30-2001, 08:14 PM

They were both buzzing real bad for a day or so and then one went up and soon after(like a minute the pther started to smoke real bad and I got out to find some water and to unhook my battery and the smoking stopped for a second and then i saw flames. I couldn't do anything to stop it b/c i was on butt@#% nowhere highway and had nothing to stop it. Believe me it is sad. But I got a new one so it is somewhat tolerable. really i know it sounds wierd but....life sucks sometimes huh
Old 12-31-2001, 01:32 AM

hmm, theres a first for everything. and you said it right. Life sux.

well, **** happens, and time heals all wounds.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by millerb
They were both buzzing real bad for a day or so and then one went up and soon after(like a minute the pther started to smoke real bad and I got out to find some water and to unhook my battery and the smoking stopped for a second and then i saw flames. I couldn't do anything to stop it b/c i was on butt@#% nowhere highway and had nothing to stop it. Believe me it is sad. But I got a new one so it is somewhat tolerable. really i know it sounds wierd but....life sucks sometimes huh
Have you talked to a lawyer or anyone yet?

SuDZ
Old 01-01-2002, 06:35 PM

i bet he had a bose stereo they have 12v goign to the speaker.. if you dont bypass the bose amp (the proper way to wire it ) then you have 40 watts going to an amp.. that amp could conceivably fry.. or as in my case the speakers have a loud buzz.. that is the sound of a direct short of 12v to the speaker... with 12v going to the speakers for long enough.. it is easy to see the fact that the speaker coils would over heat... and/ or the amp.. typcially when the coil overheats you melt the glue.. causing the sub to freeze and worse overheating.. it is POSSible the speaker caught fire if there was a good short ALSO in the speaker... OR the 2ndary amps could catch fire because they may have had the short in them...

the fire is more than likely caused by neglance on behalf of bestbuy in NOT bypassing the bose amp's which were NOT designed to handle 40 watts of preamp (typical is around 1 or 2 watts)

in my opinion without knowing more details the fault is on best buy for not showing proffessionalism

my reccommendation to you is NOT to **** arround and NOT to settle for a new car... find a reasonable lawyer and have him/her (the bloodless sotts) get you some money!. they will settle real fast if its a bigshot guy .. make sure you discuss legal fee's and factor that in to the total sum

i hate lawyers too and like things to go smooth.. but i hate a big corp pushing you or me or whoever around cause they can..

my 2 c worth
Old 01-02-2002, 07:55 AM
STFU n00b!

that's one damn smart newbie. listen to him, and maybe he'll hang around a while and make up for the rest of the moron newbies out there.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:13 AM

/me blushes

ive actually been on this board for about 6 mon. but just dont post all the time
Old 01-02-2002, 10:39 AM
STFU n00b!

you should post more. you at least have a brain, something most of the newbie post ****** don't have (or don't use anyway!)

Seems the more they know, the less they talk!
Old 01-02-2002, 06:56 PM
91MaximusSe

IF best buy installed a stereo that is lets say 40 x 4, Rms would only be about 17 watts. If they wired that directy to the factory stereo harness then that would be 17 watts going directly to an amp that can only handel up to 6 volts. becuase pre-amp ratings are mesured in volts. That could of created a short causeing an amp to catch. But if they bypassed all of the amps, and did not replace the speakers you would puting a .5 ohm load on every channel. And that could of been the fuzz that you were hearing. every bose speaker has a Ohmage of 1 ohm or less, were a stereo head unit can only handel a 4 Ohm per channelloadthat could of created a fire at either the headunit or the speaker. There are many many variables to take inaccount. I am not saying that anyone or I am right, we are just trying to help on the limited resorces avalible.

91maximusSe