3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

those with component LEDs..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:29 AM

those with component LEDs..

how bright of LEDs are you guys using??

for this im specifically talking about LEDs in the dash buttons around the steering wheel. Ive ordered packages of 10-20 LEDs like 3 times now because everything ive been putting in keeps ending up way too bright. First I got an LED bulb for the dimmer switch that was 15000mcd, it was the only one of the illumination bulbs that an LED bulb would work with, and I quickly realized that it was way too bright; not something I could stand to drive with for > 3 minutes. Then I had some 8000mcd component LEDs, still: too bright and had hotspots, also more than just the symbol is lighting up.

Now im working with 4-5000mcd flat top 3mm green LEDs (all before mentioned LEDs were green as well) and even though it no longer is way too bright, and ive elimated the hotspots, they dont need to be as bright as they are. also the entirety of the "color tile" lights up as well.

with the component LEDs ive been using 1/4W 510ohm resistors. Could I use a bigger resistor to weaken the LEDs some, so at least I dont have to keep buying more ? there arent a ton of pictures of LED interiors i could find in the search, and almost nobody posts the specifics of the LEDs they use either.

is MCD the correct way to compare the brightness of LEDs? something I kind of assumed so maybe somebody can learn me.

also interested about those with LEDs in there ACC buttons..how did you get the upper buttons to light up as bright as the lower ones? i think i may just go with blue bulb covers on the stock bulbs in my ACC unit but am curious, seems a lot more people have put LEDs in there climate control units.