3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

part supplier

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2000, 01:19 PM

hey guys,

i'm new to this list, and over thanksgiving break i'm going to be doing some work on my mom's '93 Maxima. where is a good online supplier, or who do you guys order from? For instance, I have a RX-7, so I order from Mazdatrix; great prices that kick the hell out of dealers. I know there's got to be an equivalent in your crazy world of pistons

The parts I'm looking for are:

*front and rear brakes. ok, I know that Nissan has two different styles of brake pads: cheap ones and the original OEM pads that don't squeak like a b*#%@. I'm looking for the more expensive OEM pads

*radiator hoses. the dealership that looked at my mom's car told her that all the radiator hoses need to be replaced. do places like autozone, pep boys, etc carry OEM replacements? also, is there anyone who can tell me (or direct me to website that has part #'s) how many hoses I need? I guess I need *all* of them....

*fuel filter. need OEM part....heard bad things about putting aftermarket filters in.

also, what is an Induction Service?? it was included on her estimate, and I have no idea what it is.

if anyone has any comments/suggestions on changing the fuel filter (and any other of these repairs) I'd appreciate it. There's no way it can be in a worse spot than on my RX-7 though!

thanks a bunch guys!

Chris

Old 11-10-2000, 01:25 PM

you could talk to..

Kaleb, at http://www.courtesynissan.com
Old 11-10-2000, 02:04 PM
STFU n00b!

yup, courtesy nissan is a good place to get parts.. their prices are about the same or cheaper than most aftermarket parts, and they're OEM quality, so you can't screw up there.
their parts dept phone number is (800) 527-1909.
Kaleb is a good friend of mine and owns a 93 maxima himself.. he pretty much knows these cars inside and out (as well as I). we've both had ours apart enough to know!

one recommendation on the pads.. get the front brake pads for the 4th gen Maxima, as they're a little better than that "good" 3rd gen pads. they're both the same price. ( about $45 I think).
also check Bendix IQ pads for the fronts.
for the rear drums, I ONLY recommend nissan OEM replacements. I've used every other brand I can find, and all of them squeaked and squealed on me.

FYI, Nissan designed this car to be easy to maintain. front and rear brakes take an hour MAX to replace (if you know what you're doing). most routine maintenance stuff is this easy or easier.

the fuel filter is EXTREMELY easy to replace.
it's mounted on the firewall, right next to the brake master cylinder- and is simply clipped into place. takes about 5-10 minutes to replace.

I also recommend replacing the PCV valve, which is just a few $ and takes about 5 min to do. (they should be replaced about the same time interval anyway...)

radiator hoses- you've got to main "large" hoses, then the hoses that connect to the heater core.. I don't think there are any more, but I could be mistaken. mine are in great shape, so I've never worried about it. Call courtesy nissan and they'll get you what you need.

The induction service you're referring to is a "forced" cleaning of the fuel injectors. Basically all they do is hook up a pressurized can of cleaner into the fuel rail and start the car.. they run the car off that can of cleaner until the car dies.. hook the fuel rails back up to the regular fuel system, and you're done.
unless you have the correct tools, this is best left up to a qualified technician (It requires some kind of adaptor to hook up to the fuel rails, and I dunno how they shut off the fuel pump to prevent spraying fuel everywhere)

Also, things to check are the timing belt, distributor cap and rotor.. if the car has over 60k miles, the timing belt should have been changed already.. if it hasn't, the engine is a time bomb since this IS an interference engine and your unfortunate mother will get to spend several grand on a new one if the belt breaks while she's driving. (if you've got an RX-7, you know plenty well how to work on a car anyway!
This is if she's got a GXE. if she's got an SE, it has a different engien with a timing chain and no worries there (unless it sounds like a deisel when you start it, then it's got a problem with the variable-timed-cam sprockets, and that's a $1400-engine-out repair.)

the timing belt, induction service, distributor cap & rotor are all part of the "regular" 60k maintenance list, so it's a good place to start- just to make sure everything has been done.

other than that, Welcome! enjoy!
Old 11-10-2000, 02:45 PM

thanks

thanks for the info guys! i'll be sure to mention this BB for the 25% discount

<snip>
>(if you've got an RX-7, you know plenty well how to work >on a car anyway!)

wait a minute....what are you trying to say

Chris

Old 11-10-2000, 02:49 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

hey my brother had an 88 rx7. no convetible though. theres some pics on my website if you wanna see.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:57 PM

that's a good lookin' RX-7....minus the yellow racing stripe!

what is that, a GXL or GTU? I see he's got aftermarket exhaust on....any other mods?

any mechanical problems he need help with? or, if he's interested and he doesn't already know about it, http://www.teamfc3s.org has a suuuu-weet mailing list/discussion forum. real rotary gods there

Chris

Old 11-10-2000, 03:03 PM

i'm not sure what it was. it had "SE" stickers on the side. it wasnt a turbo. it was in perfect shape when he sold it, he just got tired of there not being any aftermarket support for it. and screwing around with the wankel(sp?).it only had 70k miles on it.
Old 11-10-2000, 03:22 PM

well that sucks. 70k perfect RX-7s are becoming hard to find....cause most people didn't know anything about their wankel engine and screwed it up! but they are pretty hardy engines.

btw, Mazda released their *new* rotary engine...called the RENESIS...1.3L, normally aspirated, wankel rotary engine producting 276 HP with a 10k RPM redline. pretty sweet. can't wait for some jackass to wreck their car with this engine in it so I can yank it and put it in mine

Chris

Old 11-10-2000, 06:20 PM

yeah it was pretty fast. we used to smoke honduhs all the time. it could chirp the tires in every gear. and since it was the wankel, it didnt make that annoying fart can sound like honduhs. hardly made any sound at all. and that thing had the tightest suspension, way better than most cars with all the aftermarket stuff.

.....10K redline? 276hp? wow. that would be one sweet engine swap!
Old 11-10-2000, 07:45 PM

heh....we better kill this thread....i'm getting PISSED i missed out on your bro's RX-7...yeah its that hard to find a decent rex these days

near 50/50 weight distribution will let you throw it through some hefty turns...even in my pig of a convertible. I can out-maneuver many "sports" cars....rustangs, etc. and my shocks/struts/springs are BLOWN. demolished. so bad I can't align my car anymore (neg camber). doh!

Chris

Old 11-10-2000, 07:55 PM

i know, he searched for months to find that one. and guess how much he got it for? $2200! it was some old guy that didnt realize he was giving us a deal. my brother put the vinyl on it, got the exhaust, put in a 800 watt system, and sold it for $6500. now he's got a civic, but i liked the rx7 MUCH better.
Old 11-10-2000, 08:18 PM
89GXE

Induction Question

An induction service is where a additive is
introduced into the intake plenum to clean the plenum
and intake ports. Also the throtle plates will be cleaned
which will improve idle and keep the throtle from
sticking.An injector flush is where the engine is run
on a cleaning solvent that flushes the injectors.