3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with new Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help with new Maxima?

Hello I am a new 1993 Nissan Maxima 5spd ve owner. I had a 1992 in 1992 that was a ve 5spd also. I seem to have a lack of high end with this car. it does have vtc clack when cold. low end is good. idle is good and smooth. It just doesn't have that pull up top that i remember. seems to actually be fighting itself to rev after 4500 under load. I remember having more power up top in this car,then at low rpms. could the vtc clacking do this? Low end seems to be good or is it that the high end is so weak that the low end seems good?

Ive check the ks and tried the resistor with no change. tested the coil packs. all check out good and the same. MAF new from Oreilys. New plugs.
1. When changing out the MAF, do yo have to unhook the battery for 24 hours to clear the ecu?
2. I searched for which manual to get but both say that they don't cover my model engine ve30de DOHC 3.0 . which one is worth buying?
3. As far as codes, I don't understand how to read them
4. The ecu adjusts timing by reading a bunch of data from sensors but which ones and what are they supposed to read? I think i have a bad sensor and the engine timing is being retarded. so it just doesn't accelerate like it should.

Man, there's a lot of info on the vtc's but its confusing. could this be bad vtc's because of the clicking.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update. found NTB93-116 service manual bulletin. Might have to take it to a dealership. bummer. this one fits the symptoms but was hoping to find a fix cheaper. On a side note. under wot is the power valve open or closed or does it open and close at certain rpms?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I can has?

Originally Posted by Minnjoes
Hello I am a new 1993 Nissan Maxima 5spd ve owner. I had a 1992 in 1992 that was a ve 5spd also. I seem to have a lack of high end with this car. it does have vtc clack when cold. low end is good. idle is good and smooth. It just doesn't have that pull up top that i remember. seems to actually be fighting itself to rev after 4500 under load. I remember having more power up top in this car,then at low rpms. could the vtc clacking do this? Low end seems to be good or is it that the high end is so weak that the low end seems good?
Well, congrats on the new purchase obviously. Great to see some more VE-5 owners on the board.

As far as the car goes, how long have you owned it? Did it sit at all? How well was it kept up with in a general maintenance way?

I remember when I first bought my VE and was really disappointed with high end and assumed it was some kind of flaw of the engine's workings when it really just needed some tlc and to be driven for a little while.

A few Seafoamings, changing of the fluids, cleaning the intake and throttle body, and a couple tanks of premium gas over the course of a few months cleared up the high end lag. Mine did clack when it was cold or first started pretty bad when I bought it, most of that was settled by playing around with oil change fluid and filter combinations. In my case it was Mobil 1 10w40 with a M1-201 which is the long type filter that isn't listed for our cars.

Ive check the ks and tried the resistor with no change. tested the coil packs. all check out good and the same. MAF new from Oreilys. New plugs.
1. When changing out the MAF, do yo have to unhook the battery for 24 hours to clear the ecu?.
Have you tried checking the resistance of the injectors?

After a few driving cycles your MAF should adjust automatically. Provided you at least took the battery cables off while you were changing it.

2. I searched for which manual to get but both say that they don't cover my model engine ve30de DOHC 3.0 . which one is worth buying?
This is a copy of the FSM for a 1994, but it will be identical to the 1993 Model.
http://tayloreddesigns.biz/94NissanMaximaFMS.zip

3. As far as codes, I don't understand how to read them
4. The ecu adjusts timing by reading a bunch of data from sensors but which ones and what are they supposed to read? I think i have a bad sensor and the engine timing is being retarded. so it just doesn't accelerate like it should.
This link explains how to read the codes via a series of flashes on the ECU:
http://forums.maxima.org/4871521-post5.html

And a list of codes and what they mean:
http://straighttalkautomotive.com/OB...san-OBD-I.html

Man, there's a lot of info on the vtc's but its confusing. could this be bad vtc's because of the clicking.

Thanks for the help.
If you want a quick way to see if they're malfunctioning, you could ground them out. If your top end improves, than it's obvious the VTC's were hindering performance.

This is the procedure to ground them out:
http://web.archive.org/web/200910242...a/vtc/vtc.html

Last edited by Pearl93VE; 12-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the in depth response. I'll give your advice a go and see if it improves. I think it will take some time to complete it all. Thank you again

Minnjoes
Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Good find...if you have the time/money then start getting her back to stage 0.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM

what happened to the days when someone would buy a VE maxima and put pics of it up? would like to see some shots of said maxima : )