3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 08:06 AM

OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

Alright my biggest problem is deciding whether to swap the VG30(turbo) or........
put this in my engine
1. UD Pulley
2. ECU
3. Y-pipe, whole catback exhaust
4. cold air intake
5. cams and pistons
6. increase timing
7. Ignition setup
8. NOS
Old 01-11-2002, 08:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

Originally posted by Maximum5spd
Alright my biggest problem is deciding whether to swap the VG30(turbo) or........
put this in my engine
1. UD Pulley
2. ECU
4. cold air intake
5. cams and pistons
6. increase timing
7. Ignition setup
8. NOS
i though u were all set w/ the turbo and you can do it for cheap...what happened?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:08 AM

torn...torn like an old sweater...
Old 01-11-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

Originally posted by DanNY

i though u were all set w/ the turbo and you can do it for cheap...what happened?
It is, but with all those mods on the VG , it might be faster.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:18 AM

Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

put this in my engine
1. UD Pulley
2. ECU
4. cold air intake
5. cams and pistons
6. increase timing
7. Ignition setup
8. NOS
It's all about the $money$.
There are 2 "jdm" vg30et's on ebay. There was on for ~$1000 on ebay not too long ago so I think you can get either one for $1000+ shipping.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

Originally posted by jim90gxe

It's all about the $money$.
There are 2 "jdm" vg30et's on ebay. There was on for ~$1000 on ebay not too long ago so I think you can get either one for $1000+ shipping.
But my point is which one will be a faster ride, a vg30turbo or the n/a with the mods.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

But my point is which one will be a faster ride, a vg30turbo or the n/a with the mods.
are u kidding?
which is faster...NA or Turbo? WHAT DO YOU THINK??!?!?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

are u kidding?
which is faster...NA or Turbo? WHAT DO YOU THINK??!?!?
how much hp does turbo have? 220? not even, i dont know with all those mods????

By the way did you ever go by that place and see how much they charge for a swap for yourself? Since you never believe anything.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:32 AM

What are the details of this swap? Who is doing it, what are they swapping in, and for how much?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

Man someone really should do their research before embarking on such a mission. If you really don't know which would be faster, I would just go with all the na mods you have and call it a good day. Save yourself tons of headaches.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Mikey P
What are the details of this swap? Who is doing it, what are they swapping in, and for how much?
huh?
dude what are you talking about?

My question was which to go for ? VG30ET or to do a N/A tune.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:37 AM

I think Jeff is saying that if you don't know which is better then maybe the turbo project, as a whole, is out of your league. NA bolt-ons are an easier way to get started and build incrementaly.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????

how much hp does turbo have? 220? not even, i dont know with all those mods????

By the way did you ever go by that place and see how much they charge for a swap for yourself? Since you never believe anything.
unlike yourself...i don't need a shop to do mods. i can call up any shop and they will give me some number...until they actually work on it they will start adding up the cost for parts and etc.
did i say i never believe u...u never gave me hard evidence. all u kept on saying is you'll see and you can do the turbo with some crazy low price...ok i'm waiting for your turbo project. where is it? now looks like you're giving up...so basically all the talk is BS.
if you don't know what you're talking about then don't try to BS your way out. if you don't know which would make more power NA or boost then you should do what Jeff says and call it a day.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Mikey P
I think Jeff is saying that if you don't know which is better then maybe the turbo project, as a whole, is out of your league. NA bolt-ons are an easier way to get started and build incrementaly.
Im not just talking about regualu 4 screw air filter and cold, air. i mean the whole nine, port and polish heads, bored out engine to maybe 3.2 pistons...etc the questions is (again) which one will be faster at the end.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:42 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Im not just talking about regualu 4 screw air filter and cold, air. i mean the whole nine, port and polish heads, bored out engine to maybe 3.2 pistons...etc the questions is (again) which one will be faster at the end.
port and polish goes beyond your list..and it's not a typical "bolt on" item.
also over size pistons are not a typical bolt on.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm needing a caw

I give up. Good luck in your projects Maximum.

Old 01-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

where's the this thread sucks guy at?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:46 AM

port and polish goes beyond your list..and it's not a typical "bolt on" item.
also over size pistons are not a typical bolt on.
I know its beyond bolt ons, i never said i just want bolt on mods, so in your opinion after all N/A mods bolt on and and non bolt ons, do u think its worth it, or just go for the turbo?
Old 01-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I know its beyond bolt ons, i never said i just want bolt on mods, so in your opinion after all N/A mods bolt on and and non bolt ons, do u think its worth it, or just go for the turbo?
how big is your wallet?
turbo has more potential..but at a higher price
going the NA is cheaper less potential..but at a lower price

so to answer your questions...turbo is the way for max speed and etc.
is it worth it? that's your own personal issue. you can answer that.

speed costs...how fast u want to go is all up to your wallet size.

this is all generally speaking..there will always be exceptions.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:56 AM

IMO a vg30et swap would be cheaper than staying NA and raising compression and/or displacement and adding nitrus.

But the fact is nobody has swapped a vg30t and is willing to talk about. Same goes for a NA build up.
Everybody who has done it is not talking and it's hard to figure out if it's worth it or not.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:00 AM

how big is your wallet?
turbo has more potential..but at a higher price
going the NA is cheaper less potential..but at a lower price

so to answer your questions...turbo is the way for max speed and etc.
is it worth it? that's your own personal issue. you can answer that.

speed costs...how fast u want to go is all up to your wallet size.

this is all generally speaking..there will always be exceptions.
Thanks i know what you mean, but see my problem is, I know my engine, i know its going to alst for a while, because i take care of it. If i get a Turbo, you never know what will happen, especially with a j-spec. Thats what my bro told me, the turbo does have more potential, but then again turbos dont last for long. I mean seriously speaking the guy said around $2,000 roundly speaking, but i know something will be wrong or whatever and it will be around $3,000 and if the turbo goes thats another $5 big ones, for the whole swap. Or whatever might happen at the end. Now the bolt on things i have left done on are about worth $1,500, port and polish about $500 and ive asked around about boring out , they said its about $150 a cylinder, so figuritevly speaking its basically same $$$, just maybe $1,000 or so less at the end. So I just dont know what to do. You know what im saying, I mean i dont wanna spend money now for things like ud pulley and all that and then later on swapping the motor, that will be just a waist of money. By the way the Y-pipe from warpspeed for our max should fit the VG30T??? cause my y-pipe is about to go
Old 01-11-2002, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by jim90gxe

IMO a vg30et swap would be cheaper than staying NA and raising compression and/or displacement and adding nitrus.

But the fact is nobody has swapped a vg30t and is willing to talk about. Same goes for a NA build up.
Everybody who has done it is not talking and it's hard to figure out if it's worth it or not.
Yes thats exactly my point. since no one here on the org, has done the swap nor has done the full n/a job, so i dont really know what to do. Thats why im trying to get as much hellp as possible.

Czar did a turbo thing, but that was a VE thing and i dont think his happy with it.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

By the way the Y-pipe from warpspeed for our max should fit the VG30T??? cause my y-pipe is about to go
NO...a single turbo car uses a single downpipe..not a Y-pipe.

seriously...do u know what need to be done for turbo and etc or are u going to plop down a stack of $ and have a shop do it?
Old 01-11-2002, 09:10 AM

NO...a single turbo car uses a single downpipe..not a Y-pipe.

seriously...do u know what need to be done for turbo and etc or are u going to plop down a stack of $ and have a shop do it?
Shop, im not a mechanic. I mean the shop thats doing the swap, they do all bunch of racing tunes, once the swap is done ill take it to my mechanic.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:13 AM

By the way the Y-pipe from warpspeed for our max should fit the VG30T??? cause my y-pipe is about to go
THe vg30et does not have a y-pipe.

Look at that. Thats the rear bank of the vg30et. See that crossover pipe? From what I can see both exhaust banks exit to the turbo.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Getting back to his roots

Easy solution

1. Sell your car.
2. Use that money and mod money to buy a 5-spd VE.
3. Mod it with any leftover money.
4. Be happy until you hear of a twin-turbo bolt on kit for a 3rd gen.

Old 01-11-2002, 09:42 AM

Re: Easy solution

Originally posted by Mizeree_X
1. Sell your car.
2. Use that money and mod money to buy a 5-spd VE.
3. Mod it with any leftover money.
4. Be happy until you hear of a twin-turbo bolt on kit for a 3rd gen.

sell my car a VG????????? and get a VE??????????
hahahahahahahaha
yeaaaaa rightttttttttttttt
not in the million years

when i got my car i had a choice between a 92se and mine, that was a while ago the 92se, my mechanice told do not get the ve engine under any circumstances, he told ill have alot of tics, and alot of problems. So i hope that was a joke about selling my vg and getting a ve right.. hahaha, im just busting your *****,
But in a serious matter there is no point of that, even if the engine is fine, spend extra $1,000 for the extra 30hp, which is not even noticable, besides my car goes as fast as my buddys 92SE 5 speed, we raced and it was nose to nose, but his car is kinda banged up so, maybe that was it. But you get my point.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:54 AM
I'm needing a caw

On the NA rebuild add $500-$600 for a custom ecu program from JWT to get all those na mods to work right. If you don't the engine will not even be close to reaching it's full power. Oh yeah don't forget cams(not regrinds) So in ecu and cams alone, you are at 1 grand already. Good luck
Old 01-11-2002, 09:56 AM

i don't think a well done na engine would be too far off the horsepower marks for a mild turbo engine. frankly, i love the instant throttle response and low end from a na engine. also, if you got a turbo engine, would you do port/polish, or other internal mods, or just leave it pretty stock and maybe have a more aggressive wastegate setting if you need the extra power? bc if its just the stock turbo engine i don't see how a well done na engine would be less powerful/not worth the money. also, you dont have to replace the turbo and worry about the plumbing on a na, which saves money and time. tuning a na would be easier too i think
Old 01-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree with Optimus, I think just tuning the thing is going to be a major headache, seeing how this is fairly unknown territory. Either tuned at a engine shop with a dyno, or on the car. I think this tuning issue (and its time-consuming nature) is what did Czar in.

I believe how it usually works is:
1)Mild turbo: somewhat more power than a NA engine, but no internal work needed so it's cheaper. This is like Czar's project.
2)"Real" turbo: engine is specifically designed to handle a "normal" amount of turbo boost (more than a few pounds). Big bucks to lower the compression and maybe other work (like strengthening), but quite a bit more power.

Personally, since no one has a bolt-on kit and any good guidlines (meaning you'd be the pioneer), I wouldn't bother because I'd be lost and it'd cost too much money and sleep. My 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by OptimusPrime
i don't think a well done na engine would be too far off the horsepower marks for a mild turbo engine. frankly, i love the instant throttle response and low end from a na engine. also, if you got a turbo engine, would you do port/polish, or other internal mods, or just leave it pretty stock and maybe have a more aggressive wastegate setting if you need the extra power? bc if its just the stock turbo engine i don't see how a well done na engine would be less powerful/not worth the money. also, you dont have to replace the turbo and worry about the plumbing on a na, which saves money and time. tuning a na would be easier too i think
Yep see these are all the options I have to consider, I dont know, Ill let some time go by and think about it, for now i gotta fix up my suspension a little bit, before and engine work is done. Hey maybe ill just drop a RB26DETT, and thats it , who said a maxima cant be a 10 second car.............
Old 01-11-2002, 11:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

MUHAHAHAHAHHAAAHAHA!

CZAR's project would be almost impossible to duplicate unless you get very lucky with an used turbo and you are a very good welder in the first place.

There is a way to tune a simple turbo and all the info is basicly here on the org. You just have to think out of the box for a min.

Actually in this case, for the level of na mods he has, tuning a built NA engine would be more difficult for the same level of performance.

Originally posted by Bman
I agree with Optimus, I think just tuning the thing is going to be a major headache, seeing how this is fairly unknown territory. Either tuned at a engine shop with a dyno, or on the car. I think this tuning issue (and its time-consuming nature) is what did Czar in.

I believe how it usually works is:
1)Mild turbo: somewhat more power than a NA engine, but no internal work needed so it's cheaper. This is like Czar's project.
2)"Real" turbo: engine is specifically designed to handle a "normal" amount of turbo boost (more than a few pounds). Big bucks to lower the compression and maybe other work (like strengthening), but quite a bit more power.

Personally, since no one has a bolt-on kit and any good guidlines (meaning you'd be the pioneer), I wouldn't bother because I'd be lost and it'd cost too much money and sleep. My 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:03 PM

Simple solution...

Simple...

Step 1: Sell 5spd VG
Setp 2: Buy a low miles Twin Turbo 300zx (preferably a 94 or 95)
Setp 3: You have a turbo..in fact you have 2..you can spank a VG max with your VG Z and still have a "VG". Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Simple solution...

hey, hey...no one asked you TT boy!

Originally posted by FAST4EN
Simple...

Setp 3: You have a turbo..in fact you have 2..you can spank a VG max with your VG Z and still have a "VG". Problem solved.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Large Member

Well, I heard 1 or 2 people that no one has taken a n/a engine all the way. That's not completely true. Look at this thread http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=81743 VE30DE Power built his VE up quite a bit! I mean, he says its around 340+ hp. Though, he wasn't sure and said it could be a little more or less HP. Either way, he's done a great job and I just thought I should mention it. I'm definitely doing similar mods. I mean, if you really consider all the mods you can do to the internals of a VG or VE, you can get a good 300hp. Seriously, just read his list of mods on the thread. Getting all that stuff done seems to be cheaper than a turbo conversion or VG30et/VG30t swap and still has great potential but you don't have to mess with quite as many potential problems as you might when doing a turbo swap. I'm no expert on the subject and I don't claim to be but I still do know a good amount.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Easy solution

for the extra 30hp, which is not even noticable
30HP isn't noticable??
you're gonna have to do a LOT of modding on your VG then to get noticable results

once you get up to 400HP or so, maybe you'll see a little bit of time taken off your 1/4 time

Seriously though, I'd say the swap would be the way to go. With all those mods you are talking about, it's gonna be some serious parts and labor and could comprimise your all-mighty VG reliability.
You could build up a NA vg30e to more HP than the turbo but you could more easily get the turbo and then just do a few little things and have some serious power

good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 01-11-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Simple solution...

Originally posted by FAST4EN
Simple...

haha

well thats my dream car (300zxtt) but i dont have the $15,000, to buy it now. And since I have to pay for insurance thats probably another $3000 a year
Old 01-11-2002, 01:02 PM

Thanks i know what you mean, but see my problem is, I know my engine, i know its going to alst for a while, because i take care of it. If i get a Turbo, you never know what will happen, especially with a j-spec. Thats what my bro told me, the turbo does have more potential, but then again turbos dont last for long. I mean seriously speaking the guy said around $2,000 roundly speaking, but i know something will be wrong or whatever and it will be around $3,000 and if the turbo goes thats another $5 big ones, for the whole swap. Or whatever might happen at the end. Now the bolt on things i have left done on are about worth $1,500, port and polish about $500 and ive asked around about boring out , they said its about $150 a cylinder, so figuritevly speaking its basically same $$$, just maybe $1,000 or so less at the end. So I just dont know what to do. You know what im saying, I mean i dont wanna spend money now for things like ud pulley and all that and then later on swapping the motor, that will be just a waist of money. By the way the Y-pipe from warpspeed for our max should fit the VG30T??? cause my y-pipe is about to go
Seriously.. I'm SICK & TIRED of hearing about your "TURBO" bull****. You talk a lot of ****. You have no idea what the hell your talking about. What kind of an idiot can't figure out which is easier to gain more power (VG30E or VG30ET). The answer is clearly VG30ET. Do you even know anything about how the Turbo setup works??? Why did you ask if a Y-pipe can fit? There is no y-pipe, it's just a single downpipe. Then you said, "if the turbo goes thats another $5 big ones".. Do you mean $5000?? I consider myself semi-knowledgable when it comes to boosting a VG. I have also done some N/A tuning on my old max. Why don't you just shut up and READ & SEARCH the Forum about boost talk instead of asking ****ed up questions and claiming this and that... Don't tell us about your plans to get turbo.. we don't give a ****.. Tell us when you actually HAVE the turbo.. then we'll listen.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

This thread continues to suck

hi nevin
Old 01-11-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
This thread continues to suck

hi nevin

Quick Reply: OK guys what you think NA or TURBO?????????