3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Interesting FSTB fitment info for all GXE owners ==>

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Interesting FSTB fitment info for all GXE owners ==>

I've been wondering about that troublesome passenger's side AC hose on my car that seems to be (another) reason why FSTBs are hard to fit on it. To see what I mean, check out this image from Kaleb's site:

Kaleb's 93 GXE

Notice that fat AC hose right next to the passenger side front strut tower. My 92 SE (with the DOHC VE engine) has an identical hose and its tall position made finding a FSTB doubly hard for me because it would have to clear this hose as well as the engine bay. This particular FSTB you see in the picture fits alright because it's the now discontinued old-style Courtesy FSTB.

Anyway I had been wondering if this (retarded placement) of the AC hose was a GXE/SE issue or a 89-91/92-94 issue, since I had seen various pictures of people's cars and have noticed that some people do NOT have this high-mounted AC hose. After seeing a few cars of various years and models, including Bryan Tisch's 91 SE, I've concluded that this is a 89-91/92-94 issue.

Therefore:
ALL 89-91 Maxima owners (both SE and GXE) can use ANY 4th Gen FSTB because the AC hose isn't in the way and you have the lower-sitting VG engine. You have lots of options for FSTBs.

ALL 92-94 Maxima owners (both SE and GXE) SHOULD use the Courtesy 2k FSTB. Why you ask? Because even if you have a GXE with the SOHC VG engine, that darn AC hose WILL prevent you from fitting it properly. I have sitting in my basement a 4th Gen style FSTB (mocking me) with C-brackets that look just like 95% of all other 4th Gen FSTB brackets out there. The first thing I noticed as I lay it over my engine bay (shortly before the scream of defeat) was that the angle of the arm sticking out of the C-bracket was waaaay too low to clear that AC hose without hitting it and the hose would need major bending or tying back to make it work. Go to http://www.custommaxima.com/FrontStrutBar.html and look at the middle 3rd Gen pic with their FSTB on it. That would be a 89-91 car since the AC hose is so low. See how low the angle of that arm on the FSTB is? That's the problem.
The Courtesy 2k FSTB would (and does) clear the AC hose much better and only touches it lightly. I describe my installation of this FSTB in this post Click!.

Go to www.courtesyparts.com to see their 2k FSTB in the 5th Gen section.

Whew! Time for dinner!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:52 PM

You've got mail Bro....
Old 01-15-2002, 01:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by gotmilk2000
You've got mail Bro....
Sent you an email - message too long for wimpy PMs!