3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Radiator Fans not working but come on if A/C is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 AM

Radiator Fans not working but come on if A/C is turned on

Hi,
On my 92 maxima GXE, a car repair shop had replaced my thermostat a while back, as the car started overheating and the gauge went to hot with the coolant in the reservoir bubbling.

After this the temperature gauge has pretty much stayed in the center. But I have been noticing that it is very hot under the hood. The radiator fans do not come on even if the car is running for 10-15 minutes but the temperature gauge still remains in the center.

Both fans come on if I start the A/C.

Any tips on where I can start troubleshooting ?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 3genube
Hi,
On my 92 maxima GXE, a car repair shop had replaced my thermostat a while back, as the car started overheating and the gauge went to hot with the coolant in the reservoir bubbling.

After this the temperature gauge has pretty much stayed in the center. But I have been noticing that it is very hot under the hood. The radiator fans do not come on even if the car is running for 10-15 minutes but the temperature gauge still remains in the center.

Both fans come on if I start the A/C.

Any tips on where I can start troubleshooting ?

Thanks.
i fail to see the problem here.
your gauge is in the middle and you expect the fans to go on? is it over heating?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
i fail to see the problem here.
your gauge is in the middle and you expect the fans to go on? is it over heating?
I never see the fans come on. I have left the car running for 10-15 min. The gauge seems to be in the center. But it is really hot under the hood. I dont see any overheating signs such as coolant boiling over or leaking etc. I do sometimes see some oil residue burning near the engine when the car is warming up.

My concern is that the fans are not coming on. I am not sure why or how to check if the relay system is functioning at all.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 10:17 AM

If the temp gauge is staying in the middle, the car probably isn't over heating. But you can check the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) to see if it is working properly.

You will need an ohmmeter to do this.

In the link below, go to the top of page 12 for a diagram of where the ECTS is located.
Go to the bottom of page 143 for the testing procedure.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1994/EC.pdf

Based on what you find will determine what you may need to do next.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the temp gauge is staying in the middle, the car probably isn't over heating. But you can check the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) to see if it is working properly.

You will need an ohmmeter to do this.

In the link below, go to the top of page 12 for a diagram of where the ECTS is located.
Go to the bottom of page 143 for the testing procedure.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1994/EC.pdf

Based on what you find will determine what you may need to do next.
Thanks very much. I will take a look.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:00 PM

With the engine running and warm, disconnect the coolant temperature sensor. If this doesn't turn the fans on, ground the sensor wire going back to the ECM with the sensor disconnected. If the fans come on, replace the temperature sensor. If not, you have a bug in the circuit somewhere between the ECM and the sensor.

But keep in mind the engine has to idle warm for quite a bit before the fans will come on. With my max it takes approx 25-30 min sitting idle for the fans to activate on a 60 degree day.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 Maxima fan runs on HI speed most of the time. Started after a radiator replacem

My 01 Maxima cooling fans were OK till I replaced the radiator. Now both cooling fans run at HI speed most of the time with AC in OFF. The car starts in LO speed, but at some point switches to HI speed on all of the time. I've had several techs look at it. One checked the ECM with a scanner and operated both HI speed fans. They worked OK from the ECM. Not sure of the whole cooling system operation and what would make the fans stay on HI.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Get Off My Lawn

As mentioned, check the sensor.

I'm always curious about temperature threads. Only because I've always found the VG coolant system to be highly effective even in stock form.