3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electrical issue. Need help ASAP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013 | 03:09 AM

Electrical issue. Need help ASAP!!!!

So coming home last night after picking up my daughter, I was at the light as soon as it turned green I took off and then everything inside the car just shut down. All my interior lights, radio, power windows, etc. I got to the next light and the car did not shut off and neither did my headlights but everything else is dead, but if I bring up the rpms to about 5k then it seems that everything comes up intermittently but at idle nothing. Now i looked under the hood and found my A/C hose chilling behind my alternator. After putting the motor and tranny back in I thought i secured that hose away from the engine and I was wrong. So, im thinking and need your help could this have caused all power to my interior to go out and possibly taking out the timing control unit? What powers everything in the interior? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-13-2013 | 03:21 AM

One or more relays is probably to blame, check/replace accessory relays under the steering column. Better yet, make note of what doesn't work and find those systems under "power supply routing" which is right in the beginning of the EL section. Find out what fuses and relays are responsible for those systems and check/replace.
Old 09-13-2013 | 05:49 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Hmmm. Subscribed.

Only thought I had was the tail lights being tied into the dash lights (tails go out, dash goes out as an "indicator"). Wouldn't explain the lights coming back. Maybe if the fuse didn't blow properly and the gap is being bridged at higher rpms/vibrations. Kind of like a light bulb with a loose filiment.

Just odd. I would suspect that if something happened with the alternator, it would have affected the entire electrical system.
Old 09-14-2013 | 07:38 AM

Well, when I checked all this again yesterday afternoon after work with some daylight; I found the A/C hose I mentioned earlier with a burn spot after coming in contact with the 2 white wires behind the alternator. I checked all fuses in my fuse box and all are visually good. I did not have a test light or ohm meter on hand to actually test them but visually none were blown. Now, I opened the ignition switch to turn the car on and nothing, its as if my battery was completely dead but again whats weird is that if I activate my aftermarket alarm through the remote then my park lights, gauge cluster lights and taillights come on during alarm activation. Also, if I turn the lights on through the steering stalk switch then only my headlights come on. Im not very bright when it comes to electrical issues so im at a loss here. So, next thing I did was leaving the key in the ignition and open it then went to my start and jumped at the contact points by the solenoid and sure enough the car started running and all my lights and accessories came on. I starting to believe that the alternator just took a dump. What do you guys think?
Old 09-14-2013 | 07:43 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Everything's working now?

I'm with you. I hate electrical issues. So, no help here.... sorry.
Old 09-14-2013 | 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Everything's working now?

I'm with you. I hate electrical issues. So, no help here.... sorry.
Apparently so, but only if I turn the key but nothing comes on until the engine turns on is when everything starts to work. Im still trying to figure it out now.
Old 09-22-2013 | 09:09 AM

Well, I finally resolved issue thanks to a thread on here a very helpful member. here is the link: http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...d-problem.html I turns out it was the small wire between the white wire and the positive battery terminal. Everything working in the my car now.
Old 09-23-2013 | 12:00 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Geez, fusable link! Makes perfect sense!! Glad you got it resolved.