3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help-brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 03:25 PM

Help-brake

91'Maxima
Today I went to take state inspection.The Mechanican want to charge me $530 for replacing all brake pads and turn rotors. Is it reasonable?
Can I replace them by myself?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:30 PM

You can replace the brake pads very easily by yourself. Grab a repair manual (chiltons, etc...) and there are good directions.

If your rotors need to be turned, you will have to take them to a shop. Shouldn't be too expensive tho.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:42 PM

Re: Help-brake

Originally posted by Good Car
91'Maxima
Today I went to take state inspection.The Mechanican want to charge me $530 for replacing all brake pads and turn rotors. Is it reasonable?
Can I replace them by myself?
Thanks in advance for your help.

First, tell the mechanic to go suck on some ATF.

I have been burned too many times with state inspections. They always find something to charge you on......and more often you are cornered, otherwise they won't PASS inspection. Recently this moronic mechanic charged me $52 to splice in a 4 inch wire becuz the front right signal light wasnt working on my Camry due to corrosion on the wire.
Before that he charged me $600 for a new exhaust on my 91 SE and then later I learned that I should have just gotten a Warpspeed for the same damn price. That's the last time I go to him!!!

If you have an SE like me, the front and rear brakes are easy cuz you will have disc all around. But GXE's have drums in the back, and I don't know much about them.

The front are super easy since the caliper just swings up, and then you just pop in the pads and torque & lube things down. The rear are a bit tricky but still easy.

Did you still have to pay the inspection fee since u didnt have the work done???