3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clutch Master Cylinder Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Clutch Master Cylinder Swap Questions

I'm changing out the clutch pedal assembly today and I figured I'll just go ahead and knock out the CMC while I'm at it but I have a couple Q's. I looked up a couple tutorials and non of them really answered my questions.

First off, if anyone can give me just a really quick and broad step guide to change it that'd be super great!
Other than that is there any purging of air i have to do to the new CMC before I put it in?
And what are some absolute "don't do's" when changing out the part?

Any help will get me through this as easy as possible.

I just don't want to mess up on this part and have the clutch sticking to the floor or any problems at all for that matter.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:41 PM

Drain fluid by pumping pedal with bleed port open, at the slave cylinder.

Count how many turns it took to unscrew the large coupling nut. It can be a pain, be patient, careful, and it will go nice and smooth without any resistant. don't strip it.

I hope you like doing yoga, as this job requires a little bit to get all the way up in there.

Tell us why you are replacing it, maybe someone can chime in and relate to the problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ve30max
Drain fluid by pumping pedal with bleed port open, at the slave cylinder.

Count how many turns it took to unscrew the large coupling nut. It can be a pain, be patient, careful, and it will go nice and smooth without any resistant. don't strip it.

I hope you like doing yoga, as this job requires a little bit to get all the way up in there.

Tell us why you are replacing it, maybe someone can chime in and relate to the problem.

I just changed mine over the weekend and boy did that go wrong! Nevertheless, the pedal doesn't go all the way down, but it's pretty dam close to it, and it doesn't come all the way up neither. And then I had the misfortune of breaking that little rubber piece that touches the switch. My car has been such a douche lately. Oh well, at least I can still change gears
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Yeah I lost the rubber piece too. Now i have to press the actual switch with my toes. But I want to change the master cylinder because I just replaced the clutch assembly and I figured I would just go ahead and do the whole nine with the clutch. before I replaced the assembly the clutch pedal wouldn't come all the way back up unless i pulled it up with my foot. When i finally replaced the assembly the clutch comes all the way up, is nice a stiff, and has no play in it at all. But i only have to push the clutch not even half way down to go into neutral/switch gears. Plus about half way down the pedal gets really hard to push the rest of the way.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Maxima
Yeah I lost the rubber piece too. Now i have to press the actual switch with my toes. But I want to change the master cylinder because I just replaced the clutch assembly and I figured I would just go ahead and do the whole nine with the clutch. before I replaced the assembly the clutch pedal wouldn't come all the way back up unless i pulled it up with my foot. When i finally replaced the assembly the clutch comes all the way up, is nice a stiff, and has no play in it at all. But i only have to push the clutch not even half way down to go into neutral/switch gears. Plus about half way down the pedal gets really hard to push the rest of the way.

Good stuff! I think I'll go back out and play with mine a little more too. I had to pull mine up with my foot as well