3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help! Wipers are dead.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Help! Wipers are dead.

It was snowing out last night and I had my wipers on. All of a sudden, I head clunk sound and the wipers just stopped. I could hear the motor going and the clunking sound continued. I moved one wiper with my hand and the other one moved with it. What the hell happened? I was so b/c it was it was snowing pretty hard! Can anywone help me out? Thanks
Clark
Old 01-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

take the wipers off and the black plastic cowl off so you can get a look at whats goin on in there
Old 01-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had something similar happen on my car. One wiper got stuck on the frost and popped out of the balljoint connecting the two arms together. Probably what happened to yours is it either broke or popped out of the joint connecting the motor to the common arm for both. Open it up and either just pop it back into place or if it looks worn, I'd replace the joint/bushing to prevent if from happening again. I just popped mine back in because I forgot to unstick the wipers from the windsheild, but you might want to replace yours. Good luck.

BTW, there's only ONE screw in the middle holding in the black cowl. The rest are just plastic pop-in retainers. Try not to bust these as they're kinda expensive for bits of plastic.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:33 PM

Clark, your an idiot, that was teh funney though, im just drivin 2 cars ahead of you and you callin mah cell "randy, my wipers are broke" "what should i do"...you moron, were were only a 1/2 mile from the resteraunt, couldnt it have waited till we got there
Old 01-20-2002, 01:55 PM

I took the wipers off and the middle screw off the plastic cowl. I pulled it up a little on one side, but how do I take the whole thing off? Im afraid to pull on it too hard breaking it. should I use a screwdriver or something? I just dont want to screw anything up.

As far as the ball joint thing, would that still be the problem if one wiper still moves the other one? because they both move when I move one of them. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:56 PM
STFU n00b!

As Bman said, there's some metal rods connecting everything in there, and the ends are connected to ball joints with plastic tabs. I've sold one of them already, butit was the one on the far left (so the driver's wiper only stopped working).. Since both of your wipers stopped, and both wipers are still connected to each other, I'd bet it broke on either the motor end of it, or on the right wiper arm part.

Either way, you'll have to remove the black cowl piece to see what part has broken. if you're lucky, it just popped out of the socket, but I doubt that's the case. if something actually did break, shoot me a PM or email and I'll dig the parts off my parts car and mail them out to you aSAP.
lemme know.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Gen7GT-sRyda
Clark, your an idiot, that was teh funney though, im just drivin 2 cars ahead of you and you callin mah cell "randy, my wipers are broke" "what should i do"...you moron, were were only a 1/2 mile from the resteraunt, couldnt it have waited till we got there
just lettin you know in case I was late gettin there because I plowed into a SEMI because I could friggin see it! and because I wasnt working on BST for once
Old 01-20-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
As Bman said, there's some metal rods connecting everything in there, and the ends are connected to ball joints with plastic tabs. I've sold one of them already, butit was the one on the far left (so the driver's wiper only stopped working).. Since both of your wipers stopped, and both wipers are still connected to each other, I'd bet it broke on either the motor end of it, or on the right wiper arm part.

Either way, you'll have to remove the black cowl piece to see what part has broken. if you're lucky, it just popped out of the socket, but I doubt that's the case. if something actually did break, shoot me a PM or email and I'll dig the parts off my parts car and mail them out to you aSAP.
lemme know.
I got the cowl off and got a change to look down there. Matt, the rod from the motor came off the ball joint at the passenger side arm. I tried to put it back on, but it seemed a little loose on there, but I left it there and turned on the motor without the wipers on. It was on there and rotated both sides. I put everything back on including the wiper arms, tightened them and tried them. Both wipers moved about 4 inches up then stopped again. Is there something on the joint that keeps the rod locked in? It didnt seem like there was when I pushed on it to put it back into place.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:59 PM

Death to the wiper mechanism designer!

okay, I spent an hour and a half trying to fix this problem. All I have to say is WTF?!? It is a massive PITA!! I spent 20 minutes trying to get the old linkage off and another hour trying to get the new linkage on! Needless to say, I GAVE UP! It was snowing out, 12:30am, and I was getting I didnt realize that there is NO leverage in there to pop the linkage on the motor. and the wiper side popped off it I moved it too much. So, I am saving this job until Saturday to try again if the weather is better. In the mean time, I am going to give my winshield another Rain-X treatment. Can anyone tell me if there is an easier way to do this? does taking the wiper motor off help? If this is the only way, so be it...I'll try again. but I hope there is.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:31 PM
JET Speed Lab

Re: Death to the wiper mechanism designer!

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
okay, I spent an hour and a half trying to fix this problem. All I have to say is WTF?!? It is a massive PITA!! I spent 20 minutes trying to get the old linkage off and another hour trying to get the new linkage on! Needless to say, I GAVE UP! It was snowing out, 12:30am, and I was getting I didnt realize that there is NO leverage in there to pop the linkage on the motor. and the wiper side popped off it I moved it too much. So, I am saving this job until Saturday to try again if the weather is better. In the mean time, I am going to give my winshield another Rain-X treatment. Can anyone tell me if there is an easier way to do this? does taking the wiper motor off help? If this is the only way, so be it...I'll try again. but I hope there is.
i agree.. if i had read this post earlier i woulda told you the same