Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   PaceSetter Headers (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/678910-pacesetter-headers.html)

Jacobaudi 06-18-2014 10:35 AM

PaceSetter Headers

A Buddy of mines are selling me new PaceSetter Headers for my MAXIMA GXE...I'm having two mind about getting them cause I commute at least 64 miles a day and I'm worried that if it will burn a lot more gas or not I'm really not sure what affect it will have with the gas situation also the install process.... My car needs new exhaust manifold studs which I have ordered from nissan so I'm debating if I should install the PaceSetter Headers,any help would be greatly appreciated

DanNY 06-18-2014 10:57 AM

so here's what will happen....
you get the headers.
then you go and attempt to turn the exhaust studs off and they all pretty much snap in the worse part.
then you'll need to figure out a way to get the little slug out. once you accomplish that after a few nights of cursing and at times almost given up. you put on the new studs with new gasket. then you'll try and put on the headers and then you find out that you'll need to tweak it a little to make it fit. you'll curse some more and with some creative pushing and pulling you eventually get it to fit.

after all that i hope you have a new cat convertor handy any/or have someone that can weld just in case it's totally rusted and won't bolt on to the headers.

as to fuel consumption...that's really up to your right foot to decide. this just makes the exhaust flow a little easier. so it'll reduce back pressure but if your main goal is MPG then i wouldn't add this mod.

Jacobaudi 06-18-2014 11:20 AM

Danny you have explained it all so well.....guess I won't be doing this modification,cause my main concern are saving gas

Matt93SE 06-18-2014 11:32 AM

mods like this make the engine run more efficiently, however they also tend to make you want to use your right foot more. So in the end you lose mileage.

CMax03 06-18-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobaudi (Post 8962367)
A Buddy of mines are selling me new PaceSetter Headers for my MAXIMA GXE...I'm having two mind about getting them cause I commute at least 64 miles a day and I'm worried that if it will burn a lot more gas or not I'm really not sure what affect it will have with the gas situation also the install process.... My car needs new exhaust manifold studs which I have ordered from nissan so I'm debating if I should install the PaceSetter Headers,any help would be greatly appreciated

You will need to mod it! Pm me for the details please!

CMax03 06-21-2014 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my modded Ypipe b4 the all the welding was done....

Attachment 22408

Pacesetter Leak between secondaries pipes!!! Weld between and web the pipes together fixes exhaust leak at secondary pipes merger section!
Attachment 22409

shiloh51933 06-24-2014 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE (Post 8962389)
mods like this make the engine run more efficiently, however they also tend to make you want to use your right foot more. So in the end you lose mileage.

+1

I have OBX headers(same design as pacesetter), I had 2 broken studs from the get and broke 3 more during removal. I used an angled drill to remove most of them, one I was able to grab w/vise grips. I have a Magnaflow cat/resonator pipe to a Megan SS 3"inch inlet 3"inch dual outlets muffler and all piping is 3'inches SS. I had to mod the the front-pipe/y-pipe flange...it wasn't touching the steering rack but during use it would intermittently rattle against the rack.

CMax03 06-28-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933 (Post 8963897)
+1

I have OBX headers(same design as pacesetter), I had 2 broken studs from the get and broke 3 more during removal. I used an angled drill to remove most of them, one I was able to grab w/vise grips. I have a Magnaflow cat/resonator pipe to a Megan SS 3"inch inlet 3"inch dual outlets muffler and all piping is 3'inches SS. I had to mod the the front-pipe/y-pipe flange...it wasn't touching the steering rack but during use it would intermittently rattle against the rack.

They copied that too! Wrap the rack with Exhaust wrap it'll only contact it in reverse!

shiloh51933 06-30-2014 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03 (Post 8965211)
They copied that too! Wrap the rack with Exhaust wrap it'll only contact it in reverse!

The exhaust wrap helps reduce the rattling to a muffled tapping but it happened at idle/downshifting. I like what you did to the y-pipe, I ended up cutting/welding a 4thgen spec catback from Magnaflow to get the resonator pipe to fit in factory 3rdgen position. I used the factory hanger locations on the 3rdgen for the 4thgen plumbing. I did have an issue w/cat hangers that screw into the floor after installing the Magnaflow cat but made it happen.

CMax03 06-30-2014 03:16 PM

Or youy can heat it up and bend it (The rear manifold) a little...I didn't use any of the springs on my manifold to ypipe flanges! I installed shorter SS bolts and tightened them down so there are no leaks...