3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

PaceSetter Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM

PaceSetter Headers

A Buddy of mines are selling me new PaceSetter Headers for my MAXIMA GXE...I'm having two mind about getting them cause I commute at least 64 miles a day and I'm worried that if it will burn a lot more gas or not I'm really not sure what affect it will have with the gas situation also the install process.... My car needs new exhaust manifold studs which I have ordered from nissan so I'm debating if I should install the PaceSetter Headers,any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

so here's what will happen....
you get the headers.
then you go and attempt to turn the exhaust studs off and they all pretty much snap in the worse part.
then you'll need to figure out a way to get the little slug out. once you accomplish that after a few nights of cursing and at times almost given up. you put on the new studs with new gasket. then you'll try and put on the headers and then you find out that you'll need to tweak it a little to make it fit. you'll curse some more and with some creative pushing and pulling you eventually get it to fit.

after all that i hope you have a new cat convertor handy any/or have someone that can weld just in case it's totally rusted and won't bolt on to the headers.

as to fuel consumption...that's really up to your right foot to decide. this just makes the exhaust flow a little easier. so it'll reduce back pressure but if your main goal is MPG then i wouldn't add this mod.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Danny you have explained it all so well.....guess I won't be doing this modification,cause my main concern are saving gas
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
STFU n00b!

mods like this make the engine run more efficiently, however they also tend to make you want to use your right foot more. So in the end you lose mileage.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jacobaudi
A Buddy of mines are selling me new PaceSetter Headers for my MAXIMA GXE...I'm having two mind about getting them cause I commute at least 64 miles a day and I'm worried that if it will burn a lot more gas or not I'm really not sure what affect it will have with the gas situation also the install process.... My car needs new exhaust manifold studs which I have ordered from nissan so I'm debating if I should install the PaceSetter Headers,any help would be greatly appreciated
You will need to mod it! Pm me for the details please!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Here's my modded Ypipe b4 the all the welding was done....

Name:  CarlsPictures004-4.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  53.6 KB

Pacesetter Leak between secondaries pipes!!! Weld between and web the pipes together fixes exhaust leak at secondary pipes merger section!
Name:  Photo-0032.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  11.6 KB
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
mods like this make the engine run more efficiently, however they also tend to make you want to use your right foot more. So in the end you lose mileage.
+1

I have OBX headers(same design as pacesetter), I had 2 broken studs from the get and broke 3 more during removal. I used an angled drill to remove most of them, one I was able to grab w/vise grips. I have a Magnaflow cat/resonator pipe to a Megan SS 3"inch inlet 3"inch dual outlets muffler and all piping is 3'inches SS. I had to mod the the front-pipe/y-pipe flange...it wasn't touching the steering rack but during use it would intermittently rattle against the rack.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
+1

I have OBX headers(same design as pacesetter), I had 2 broken studs from the get and broke 3 more during removal. I used an angled drill to remove most of them, one I was able to grab w/vise grips. I have a Magnaflow cat/resonator pipe to a Megan SS 3"inch inlet 3"inch dual outlets muffler and all piping is 3'inches SS. I had to mod the the front-pipe/y-pipe flange...it wasn't touching the steering rack but during use it would intermittently rattle against the rack.
They copied that too! Wrap the rack with Exhaust wrap it'll only contact it in reverse!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
They copied that too! Wrap the rack with Exhaust wrap it'll only contact it in reverse!
The exhaust wrap helps reduce the rattling to a muffled tapping but it happened at idle/downshifting. I like what you did to the y-pipe, I ended up cutting/welding a 4thgen spec catback from Magnaflow to get the resonator pipe to fit in factory 3rdgen position. I used the factory hanger locations on the 3rdgen for the 4thgen plumbing. I did have an issue w/cat hangers that screw into the floor after installing the Magnaflow cat but made it happen.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM

Or youy can heat it up and bend it (The rear manifold) a little...I didn't use any of the springs on my manifold to ypipe flanges! I installed shorter SS bolts and tightened them down so there are no leaks...