3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 gxe electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM

92 gxe electrical help

Just got my car back after having some body work done to the back end of the car. Just last night I put in an led brake light and while having the car running and testing it it suddenly stalled in the driveway and would crank and crank but not start after checking a few things I found the fuel pump fuse blew and when pulling it I noticed a red wire attached to the prong of the fuse and that the car wouldnt turn over unless it was attached. I asked both the body guy and my mechanic if they had bypassed any wires or anything for the fuel pump and both say they have not. I need to do a little more investigating but I'm not overly knowledgeable on the electrical side of things and just wondering if anyone might know where that wire might go to if a bypass was done. Im going to have my mechanic check it over but in the meantime any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Pictures please. But it sounds like something else is feeding off the fuel pump fuse and overloading it causing it to blow.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:33 AM

I will try and get a couple pics. With the wire not plugged in on the fuse prong it wouldn't start but would start when the wire was on. I'm thinking something was bypassed or something at some point. I haven't had an issue with the fuse blowing before and I'm assuming that if my mechanic nor the body guy put it there it has been there for the 6 or 7 yrs I've owned the car. So I don't believe anything else would be feeding off of it but I'm not 100% either.

Last edited by ac max 92; 08-15-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 AM

You need to track that wire and find its destination. It's most likely a ghetto fix for a starting system issue.

Whatever it is, it's done by someone who should stick to mechanics.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You need to track that wire and find its destination. It's most likely a ghetto fix for a starting system issue.

Whatever it is, it's done by someone who should stick to mechanics.
I agree. Almost looks like i'd have to take the lower dash out to get a better look. From what i can see it's only the fuel pump running on that top right 15 amp fuze. Atleast thats whats marked inside the cover. Im thinking it was a bypass for a broken wire in the harness to the fuel pump. As soon as i take the wire off the prong and replace the fuze it'll crank strong but not start and when i put the wire back on the fuze prong she fires right up but im not big on the idea of that jerry rig job and having to worry if that fuze pops when driving down the highway or something. Im going to run it over to my friends shop and have him do a little investigating and get it fixed properly.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Pictures please. But it sounds like something else is feeding off the fuel pump fuse and overloading it causing it to blow.
GRNMAXDMON, You were right. I guess it just happen to be by fluke after raplacing the fuze and taking off the wire the car didn't start so i thought it was a bypass of sorts and go figure i bring it to my friends shop and he pulls the wire and it starts fine. The wire wound up being put in for a toggle switch for the fog lights but it could have atleast been put onto another accessory and not the fuel pump. It only popped the one time but luckily it was in the driveway and not on the highway or something but atleast it's figured out now and a pretty simple fix.