3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Manual transmission grinding noise???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Manual transmission grinding noise???

My transmission makes this terrible grinding noise when the car is in neutral. When the clutch is pressed down to the floor, the noise goes away. I bought a new clutch set and everything was installed. Throw out bearing is good and is in position (I took tranny back out). I noticed that there was no oil whatsoever. Im hoping this is the issue, and not transmission itself. At first, the car drove once the new clutch was on, but as the engine got hot, it made this grinding noise and wouldn't shift gears unless the car was off. Then, after allowing it to cool down for a bit, it started right up and went into gear with no noise until about 15 minutes later. What exactly could this be? The car is a 92' Maxima SE DOHC 5speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6K8N_KXtBM
Old 09-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sounds like input shaft bearing.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:21 PM

yeah id say the input shaft bearing is eating it
Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 PM

Dam, how bad is the labor on that if the tranny is still out? And how much for one?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

bearing is cheap...the labor to...
A - install it CORRECTLY
B - swap out all the other messed up stuff
...will cost you
Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 PM

yep same as a rear main seal, parts ***** nothing youre just getting raped on labour. if i was replacing one i would most likely be doing the clutch, axle seals, etc while the gearbox is out
Old 09-15-2014, 10:12 AM

Where can I get parts for rebuild n a 5 speed transmission se model ve engine

Last edited by TonyJr; 09-15-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:16 AM

Took car to a transmission shop and he estimated 11 hr's off labor . $700 to $800 plus parts. And I told him I'll bring the transmission to him. Is he ripping me of or does it sounds right?

Just bearings and synchros
Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 AM

I have a new clutch set and put it in already. I adjusted the pedal all the way up since it was still too much play and dam near to the floor. Master cylinder and slave were replaced also. The car started making that noise 30 minutes into my first drive. I turned off the car for a few minutes and then started it back up. It drove fine...for another 15 mins anyway! Then, that's when the grinding noise kicked in. We pushed the car home from there. I took back out the tranny to make sure it wasn't a throw out bearing. Clutch and all was still in pristine condition. I noticed that there was absolutely no gear oil. In the 4 or so years that I've had the car, I never once put transmission fluid in there...shame on me. I have heard how bad adjustment of the linkage can cause that sound, as well as no lube. I had both strikes against me. So I put the tranny back in, readjusted the clutch linkage and pedal so it has a little more play, and put back in the axles...which were dry too, of course. I bought 4 quarts of redline MT-90. I'll put it in later and give the car a start. I hope that does it! I personally don't thing it's the input shaft bearing this time around...the timing for the issue was too coincidental after all the work that was just done (new JDM (used) engine, clutch set, master cylinder, slave cylinder, throwout bearing) unfortunately, all with NO LUBE!!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM

thats cheap, garage im at now labour is $130 a hour
Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by badazzsupamax
I have a new clutch set and put it in already. I adjusted the pedal all the way up since it was still too much play and dam near to the floor. Master cylinder and slave were replaced also. The car started making that noise 30 minutes into my first drive. I turned off the car for a few minutes and then started it back up. It drove fine...for another 15 mins anyway! Then, that's when the grinding noise kicked in. We pushed the car home from there. I took back out the tranny to make sure it wasn't a throw out bearing. Clutch and all was still in pristine condition. I noticed that there was absolutely no gear oil. In the 4 or so years that I've had the car, I never once put transmission fluid in there...shame on me. I have heard how bad adjustment of the linkage can cause that sound, as well as no lube. I had both strikes against me. So I put the tranny back in, readjusted the clutch linkage and pedal so it has a little more play, and put back in the axles...which were dry too, of course. I bought 4 quarts of redline MT-90. I'll put it in later and give the car a start. I hope that does it! I personally don't thing it's the input shaft bearing this time around...the timing for the issue was too coincidental after all the work that was just done (new JDM (used) engine, clutch set, master cylinder, slave cylinder, throwout bearing) unfortunately, all with NO LUBE!!
So you removed the transmission and did all that work and then failed to put any gear oil back in it? And then drove on it for 45 minutes? I can't imagine that not causing some permanent damage of some kind

Originally Posted by TonyJr
Took car to a transmission shop and he estimated 11 hr's off labor . $700 to $800 plus parts. And I told him I'll bring the transmission to him. Is he ripping me of or does it sounds right?

Just bearings and synchros
That is very high considering you're bringing the transmission to him. 11 hours of labor and the transmission is already off?

I got the bearings and synchros done for around $400 bringing the transmission in myself
Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM

That's a complete and total rip off. ISB is easy to replace. I can do it in roughly 45 minutes without smoking.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Not the isb

[QUOTE=James92SE;8984934]So you removed the transmission and did all that work and then failed to put any gear oil back in it? And then drove on it for 45 minutes? I can't imagine that not causing some permanent damage of some kind :confused

I dont think it was that serious since I didnt drive the car after that. I hear how some people drive for weeks on a bad isb, mine only lasted an hour. No fluid is the culprit. I always go the cheaper route first
Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 PM

Cheaper route? What exactly happened? Gear oil leaked dry, or just wasn't filled after installing the transmission? It definitely sounds a lot worse than a broken input shaft bearing, which is probably blown to pieces regardless, but it sounds there's quite a bit more to it than that, especially if you drove it for any extended period of time with no oil.

You should probably fill it up it and see what it sounds like then. Also, did you install both dust cover/spacers between the engine and trans? If not, the flywheel could be rubbing against the case.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

take a steel roller bearing...ANY roller bearing.
put it under load and spin it for 3000+ RPM for 45 mins without any type of lubricant. tell me how it looks or how you think it looks.