3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help! What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:28 AM

Help! What would you do?

I have a 94 GXE with 109,000 miles and am pretty sure the original part thermostat just went and is stuck open since everytime I go on the highway in the 20 degree weather, my temp light plummets from halfway down to cold. Get off highway and back to normal operating temp.

I'm getting the Nissan OEM thermostat since it is $21 and the alternatives only save $6. While going to the effort, I'm also going to change the ORIGINAL (they still look good, but still) upper, lower and bypass hoses as well as the slowly leaking AT cooling hoses (with generics since $8.50 is less than the $87.50!!! Nissan wanted).

Here is the question: Do I change out the radiator, too? At $70, it is certainly affordable, but the original is not leaking (did a pressure/ leak test). Would I be stupid to trade a clearly well made 21 year old radiator for a brand new, but probably much less well made one?
Old 01-14-2015, 02:24 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Keep the radiator. Although it won't cause any issues by changing it, you save $$ for other maintenance issues as well as your time doing the extra work. $70 will buy you new spark plugs and set of wires, rotory button, cap. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by khakuda
I have a 94 GXE with 109,000 miles and am pretty sure the original part thermostat just went and is stuck open since everytime I go on the highway in the 20 degree weather, my temp light plummets from halfway down to cold. Get off highway and back to normal operating temp.

I'm getting the Nissan OEM thermostat since it is $21 and the alternatives only save $6. While going to the effort, I'm also going to change the ORIGINAL (they still look good, but still) upper, lower and bypass hoses as well as the slowly leaking AT cooling hoses (with generics since $8.50 is less than the $87.50!!! Nissan wanted).

Here is the question: Do I change out the radiator, too? At $70, it is certainly affordable, but the original is not leaking (did a pressure/ leak test). Would I be stupid to trade a clearly well made 21 year old radiator for a brand new, but probably much less well made one?
No, keep the rad. I'd also leave hoses alone if they're in the good condition.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM

rad hoses youre supposed to change every few years but hell if anyone does unless theyre leaking.

change the thermostat, coolant, and rad hoses. if the radiator has no spider cracks on the plastic parts leave it
Old 01-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Thanks all

I guess that sounds right. I'll keep the radiator and replace the hoses, thermostat and coolant. Gotta pull 2 of the hoses off anyway to get to the thermostat, so may as well do the lower and leaking AT cooling lines, too.

Thanks for helping me figure it out. When the radiator springs a leak, I can do it then at the cost of some coolant and the radiator. All this assumes the tranny doesn't go first or the heater core or the fuel tank....

Love this car. Want to keep it rolling, so thanks all.