3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

man I'm lucky

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM

man I'm lucky

https://i.imgur.com/Ass2ogk.jpg

Turbonetics 38mm wastegate for $100.
Barely used.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:00 PM

Lucccckkkyyy.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM

got turbo,intercooler, bov, wastegate, fpr,370cc injectors. Still working on the everything else like nistune and manifold then I should be done.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

You don't need a fancy or adjustable FPR with Nistune. With Nistune you just use the stock FPR

And you're building a turbo manifold? Which head will it go on?

Why aren't you just going with the more common reverse y-pipe? That way you'll just keep your stock exhaust manifolds
Old 02-05-2015, 03:11 PM

Sorry that's what I meant is the reverse y pipe. So I don't need fpr if I use nistune?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
Sorry that's what I meant is the reverse y pipe. So I don't need fpr if I use nistune?
Well your car already has an FPR. So yes technically you do need an FPR with Nistune, just like you do with the stock car.

You don't need anything other than the stock unit. You do not need to replace the stock FPR with an aftermarket or an adjustable FPR.

Nistune allows you to flow more fuel electronically simply by giving you control over the injectors pulse (ie, if your injectors pulse more often, or stay "open" for longer each pulse then voila you've got more fuel). Because of this you don't need to "force" more fuel manually via higher fuel pressure or anything like that.

You DO still need a high flow fuel pump however
Old 02-05-2015, 04:08 PM

My next question was if I needed to buy a walbro 255 fp. Which isn't expensive. Are they still like $100
Old 02-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Yes the Walbro 255 is pretty much the standard. That's what I've got. They're not much either, about $100.

They make different "kits" of the 255 to fit different cars (proper socks etc) so you'll want one of the 3rd gen specific kits.

Like this

Amazon.com: Walbro GSS341-400-858 With Install Kit Fuel Pumps: Automotive Amazon.com: Walbro GSS341-400-858 With Install Kit Fuel Pumps: Automotive

*edit* Just for future posterity, the Walbro is model GSS341 and the 3rd gen install kit is 400-858.

Last edited by James92SE; 02-05-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM

I just order it thanks. But can I install the pump as soon as I get it or will I have to wait till I install the
Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM

You can install it without the turbo in yet, it'll just run rich
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 PM

Gotcha thanks for the suggestion. Do I really need a wideband connection on the downpipe?

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-06-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 AM

How do you suppose you would monitor AFR with no wideband?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:37 AM

Can I buy the nistune cable only? Since I already have the program. Im paying the shop for chip n install. Do you think $350 is to much to time my car?

As for the wideband, I believe if you don't have wideband, they shop provide customers with a wideband attached to the tip of exhaust pipe for tuning.

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-06-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 AM

Yes the shop likely has a wideband that they stick in the tip for tuning. However, I personally want to monitor AFR live and full time. Let's say you get your car tuned and then a year from now something goes goofy on your car yet you have no idea and are driving around lean and don't have any idea. You'll be unknowingly ruining your car. Spending the money now for the wideband so you can monitor it at all times is a must IMO on a boosted car.

I have the Innovate LC1. It works perfectly with Nistune. There are complete kits WITH gauges for $160 shipped on ebay.

What cable are you talking about? The consult PLMS cable? Yes if the shop already has a license and/or you already have a license, all you need is the actual Nistune ECU and the consult cable. However, if this shop specializes in Nistune they might already have a cable and just use that one for your car, but you might just ask them about that to be sure.

$350 to tune your car sounds fair/average. Tuning is usually $300-$500

What kind of dyno do they use? Ask them if they check for knock (the correct way with a stethoscope or something). I wish I could find tuners around here who truly check for knock during tuning like the Aussie Nistune guys do.

And what shop is this? AshSpec Z or a different one?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Can I buy the nistune cable only? Since I already have the program. Im paying the shop for chip n install. Do you think $350 is to much to time my car?

As for the wideband, I believe if you don't have wideband, they shop provide customers with a wideband attached to the tip of exhaust pipe for tuning.
the nistune is an actual chip...so they need to de-solder the chip on the board and install a burnable eprom with the wires to it.

James...what type of board do you guys run? type one that i have runs a USB cable.

yes when you tune for dyno runs they will stick a wideband into the tailpipe but the reading is usually not as accurate but it's something that the tuner and work from.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
You can install it without the turbo in yet, it'll just run rich
nah it'll be fine.

the extra flow will go right back into the return and the stock FPR will maintain the stock pressure.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:52 AM

Dan, I tested that in 2013 just out of my own curiousity. I welded a bung and installed my wideband into my stock y pipe prior to my turbo install. I drove it that way for a few days just to make sure the wideband was working properly. Then I installed the Walbro, still NA and as soon as I put the Walbro in, it richened my AFR's

I don't remember what the exact numbers were, but it didn't richen it a whoooole bunch. It richened it up a full point or two though (ie if it were 14.5 with the stock fuel pump it was 13-13.5 with the Walbro).
Old 02-06-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
the nistune is an actual chip...so they need to de-solder the chip on the board and install a burnable eprom with the wires to it.

James...what type of board do you guys run? type one that i have runs a USB cable.

yes when you tune for dyno runs they will stick a wideband into the tailpipe but the reading is usually not as accurate but it's something that the tuner and work from.
The VE uses the type 3 board

And good point about not as accurate. All the way out at the tailpipe definitely won't be quite as accurate (or timely either) as the more proper measurement closer to the turbo.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

Yes the shop likely has a wideband that they stick in the tip for tuning. However, I personally want to monitor AFR live and full time. Let's say you get your car tuned and then a year from now something goes goofy on your car yet you have no idea and are driving around lean and don't have any idea. You'll be unknowingly ruining your car. Spending the money now for the wideband so you can monitor it at all times is a must IMO on a boosted car.

I have the Innovate LC1. It works perfectly with Nistune. There are complete kits WITH gauges for $160 shipped on ebay.

What cable are you talking about? The consult PLMS cable? Yes if the shop already has a license and/or you already have a license, all you need is the actual Nistune ECU and the consult cable. However, if this shop specializes in Nistune they might already have a cable and just use that one for your car, but you might just ask them about that to be sure.

$350 to tune your car sounds fair/average. Tuning is usually $300-$500

What kind of dyno do they use? Ask them if they check for knock (the correct way with a stethoscope or something). I wish I could find tuners around here who truly check for knock during tuning like the Aussie Nistune guys do.

And what shop is this? AshSpec Z or a different one?
Is a different shop. It's the only one listed on nistune website that located in Florida. Im ordering it from there.

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-06-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 AM

$160 isn't bad. So far I'm about $800 into this project.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 AM

http://www.whitesimportautomotive.co...kledge-FL.html

This is the shop that's nistune dealer n Tuner. They use Dynojet 248.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 AM

Oh I see it now. White's Import Automotive in Rockledge.

Sure wish there was one in DFW

*edit* Tony you beat me to it I guess I should have refreshed the page before waiting to post

Last edited by James92SE; 02-06-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Dan, I tested that in 2013 just out of my own curiousity. I welded a bung and installed my wideband into my stock y pipe prior to my turbo install. I drove it that way for a few days just to make sure the wideband was working properly. Then I installed the Walbro, still NA and as soon as I put the Walbro in, it richened my AFR's

I don't remember what the exact numbers were, but it didn't richen it a whoooole bunch. It richened it up a full point or two though (ie if it were 14.5 with the stock fuel pump it was 13-13.5 with the Walbro).
weird...i threw it in my car and it was ok..like i didn't notice anything different but then i didn't have a WBO2 at the time to measure and my booty dyno is not as accurate.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 AM

Did you get your Z32 MAF yet?

You can find pretty good deals on those if you go JY hunting and grab one off a J30 that ends in N62 on the label on the MAF. They're the exact same MAF as the Z32.

Problem is when it's a "Z32" MAF people want an arm and a leg.

And MAKE SURE you get an OEM one. Do not buy a new aftermarket one
Old 02-06-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
weird...i threw it in my car and it was ok..like i didn't notice anything different but then i didn't have a WBO2 at the time to measure and my booty dyno is not as accurate.
Yeah it certainly didn't drive or behave any different at all. But I remember making a mental note for the future that I probably wouldn't be able to pass emissions NA with the Walbro
Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 AM

Did you get your Z32 MAF yet?

You can find pretty good deals on those if you go JY hunting and grab one off a J30 that ends in N62 on the label on the MAF. They're the exact same MAF as the Z32.

Problem is when it's a "Z32" MAF people want an arm and a leg.

And MAKE SURE you get an OEM one. Do not buy a new aftermarket one
I haven't research at all about this famous z32 maf. What's the benefits of having one?

Is of plug n play or has different plugs

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-06-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 AM

I just finished talking to the nistune dealer and he told me that he sells a chip that nistune use to sell which cost $75 it does the same thing as the nistune chip is just nistune stop selling the $75 chip.

I think the difference is new chip does real time tune. Old chip has to be reflash for changes

He asked me which maf sensor in using n I yold him z32, y would he ask me that. He also said with 370cc 8psi would max out my injectors, at 300hp -332hp. Which is what I wanted. This guy knows his nistune facts 15yrs + using nistune.
He said tuned with chip I'm looking at $600 that of I do my job right with my setup.

Last edited by TonyJr; 02-06-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:23 AM

I haven't research at all about this famous z32 maf. What's the benefits of having one?

Is of plug n play or has different plugs
I'm beginning to think I'm making a lot of this too easy for you but I shouldn't be that way since several members here have really helped me out over the past couple years particularly Brad and Chris.

The "benefit" of the Z32 MAF is that you need one if you are boosting and looking to make any decent power at all

If you don't want to go with a Z32 MAF you'll need to fiddle around with a Cobra or Lightning MAF or something. But regardless, the stock MAF won't handle the power you're trying to make.

And I figured out the MAF is plug and play with the VE (and possibly with the VG too but I can only speak from VE experience).

However, depending on your MAF placement you'll need to lengthen your MAF wiring. I added quite a bit of length to my MAF wiring. If you do the same, save yourself a lot of goofy MAF related headaches later on and do it properly with shielded wire etc.

Here is another invaluable nugget for you - if you go with a blow-through setup make certain you have a good 5-6" of STRAIGHT pipe immediately prior to your MAF. Don't have your MAF placed right after a bend etc.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM

I just finished talking to the nistune dealer and he told me that he sells a chip that nistune use to sell which cost $75 it does the same thing as the nistune chip is just nistune stop selling the $75 chip.

I think the difference is new chip does real time tune. Old chip has to be reflash for changes

He asked me which maf sensor in using n I yold him z32, y would he ask me that. He also said with 370cc 8psi would max out my injectors, at 300hp -332hp. Which is what I wanted. This guy knows his nistune facts 15yrs + using nistune.
He said tuned with chip I'm looking at $600 that of I do my job right with my setup.
I don't know what he's talking about a "chip". Nistune is already real-time. I can sit in my car with my laptop and change anything live on the spot. I'm not sure what he means. I bet he doesn't even know anything about the VE30DE (no offense to him, most people don't) and thus doesn't realize you're using a type 3 board. I think some of the older Nissans are stuck with a non "real-time" type Nistune and he may be thinking of that.

He asked what MAF you're using because like I said above, you DO need to upgrade your MAF. Tuners always want to know what they're getting into. Do him a favor and save both of yourselves some time and make sure you don't have boost leaks galore when you bring him the car
Old 02-06-2015, 09:50 AM

I don't know what he's talking about a "chip". Nistune is already real-time. I can sit in my car with my laptop and change anything live on the spot. I'm not sure what he means. I bet he doesn't even know anything about the VE30DE (no offense to him, most people don't) and thus doesn't realize you're using a type 3 board. I think some of the older Nissans are stuck with a non "real-time" type Nistune and he may be thinking of that.

He asked what MAF you're using because like I said above, you DO need to upgrade your MAF. Tuners always want to know what they're getting into. Do him a favor and save both of yourselves some time and make sure you don't have boost leaks galore when you bring him the car

I really appreciate your help n danny aswell. Save us n future turbo ve down the road.

If anything I have the nistune software, I could always just buy the latest chip n try to self tune it myself
Old 02-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

enh? even my type 1 is real time.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Yeah that's why I said I think. I thought I had read somewhere previously that maybe like the Z31 or Pulsar or something had a non real time version of Nistune that was due to a primitive ECU design?

If that's not the case then I have no clue what in the world the $75 chip is?
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Lmao just got out the junkyard n found a j30 never touch except for the $21 n62 maf. Luck ran out
Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Lmao just got out the junkyard n found a j30 never touch except for the $21 n62 maf. Luck ran out
Somebody beat you to it. Probably a turbo 240 guy

Keep checking around though, I usually find a J30 at the JY's. I bet guys buy up those MAF's though so they can sell them for $100+ as "Z32" MAF's
Old 02-06-2015, 12:46 PM

But I did pick up 2 more 370cc injectors from a 1994 q45. 5 of my 6 injectors look like they changed them this year. The color purple isn't faded.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Found a n62 maf on ebay for $38. Aftermarket brand new. you think it makes a difference That is as aftermarket
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Like I said above, you absolutely DO NOT want an aftermarket MAF. Just wait out to find a real one.

Do a quick Google search you'll see problem after problem after problem with aftermarket MAFs and boosted applications. I don't know how many threads I've seen of people ripping their hair out with problems with their turbo cars only to find out after a lot of time and effort that their crappy Chinese MAF was the culprit.

Surely you have multiple junkyards in Orlando. Just keep checking around
Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure I actually have a spare N62 MAF I can sell you. If you're interested I'll look when I get home from work
Old 02-06-2015, 04:27 PM

Tony, be sure to post pics of the build. This bug can be infectious but I couldn't afford to go turbo any time soon. Some day though.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM

I definitely taking pics for the forum n for memories. I really want to make a youtude video of the process. Video could include dyno run, intercooler install, bov, manifold build etc..

Video is the new way to teach people. But I used to be in your shoes. I'm not rich but I saved a couple of dollars for this turbo project. It's not that bad on my pocket so far. I think the money is definitely on the manifold, turbo, ecu. If you plan on doing the work yourself like I am.

Quick Reply: man I'm lucky