3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need some help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Need some help please

So i had a thread regarding recommendations on led's for changing my cluster lights with so i got some led's and tonight i went ahead and did the swap got everything back together only to find my speedo and tach aren't working now and none of the accessory lights come on when the key is in the on position also the battery light is illuminated when the car is running? The temp and fuel are working and security light works but hey the led's look great aaahhh i just put this se cluster in not only because i prefferd how it looks but because my old gxe cluster had a bad tach and now this WTF!!

Last edited by ac max 92; 07-15-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM

Would it be the SE tach? I think something is different between them could be wiring im not 100% however.
Old 07-16-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gp540
Would it be the SE tach? I think something is different between them could be wiring im not 100% however.

It is the se cluster. I just put it in my gxe. They are basically the same except the colour of the gauges and back lighting. They are compatible with one another. I just recently put it in and everything was working just fine but noticed the gauge lights were out so i changed em up with some led's which look great but when i put everything back together my tach and speedo stopped working aswell as all my cluster accessory lights though my battery light is staying on when the car is running.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
It is the se cluster. I just put it in my gxe. They are basically the same except the colour of the gauges and back lighting. They are compatible with one another. I just recently put it in and everything was working just fine but noticed the gauge lights were out so i changed em up with some led's which look great but when i put everything back together my tach and speedo stopped working aswell as all my cluster accessory lights though my battery light is staying on when the car is running.
You probably didn't plug everything back in. There should be two molex connectors, make sure they plugged in all the way. You must have done something wrong when putting it back together if it was working before you took it apart.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
You probably didn't plug everything back in. There should be two molex connectors, make sure they plugged in all the way. You must have done something wrong when putting it back together if it was working before you took it apart.

There's actually 3 molex connectors but are you saying 2 that control tach and speedo? That was my thoughts aswell that one may have not been plugged in correctly though i knew i double checked that all were plugged back in before putting things back together. I was just frustrated and had it all back together just as it got dark. So when i got home from work today i checked the alt. voltage before taking everything apart again being the battery light was on and i had 14.2 volts so after taking everything apart i noticed the harnesses were all plugged in and it's a good thing i decided to unplug them and didn't over look it but it wound up being one of the 4 corners of the plastic circuit board was folded under the one of the connectors/harness outside of the socket which must have happened when i unplugged and plugged it back in last night so i just lifted that part of the plastic and slid it back into the socket before plugging the harness back in and voila everything is all good now. Thanks for the responses

Last edited by ac max 92; 07-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.