3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel injectors

It gets pretty cold here in Kansas during our winters, the other day while I was letting my car warm up after work I had the hood up. I had just previously checked my oil and was making sure I put everything back right when i noticed a drip around the area my first injector is. It smelt a bit of raw gas as well. I checked it again when I got home and it wasn't leaking anymore?? I know during the winter things tend to shrink a litte, perhaps it was enough to cause a leak that sealed up as soon as the engine was hot enough? I'm planning on replacing all of the seals on the injectors because I dont think them as a whole are bad. Before I got the max it sat for a good six months so I have to take in account that for my recent issues with it.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 AM

By the sounds of what your describing it sounds like one of the fuel lines on the fuel rail. There are 2 small pieces of fuel line on either side of the rail probably a clamp or the line itself but while your in there it would probably be a good idea to replace those fuel line hoses on the rail and also check the resistance on the injectors with a multimeter to make sure they're between 10-14 ohm. If you need or decide to replace any injectors just make sure they're seated properly before putting everything back together if you go that route to avoid another fuel leak and having to take everything apart again. Also a good time to do some gaskets like valve cover gaskets and the intake gasket should be replaced if your taking the intake manifold off to check your injectors or rail. Fuel evaporates quickly but you may be able to spot your leak if its on one of those hoses by starting the car and checking right away before the car warms up. Taking into account it sat for 6 months is one thing but you also got to remember the car is almost 25 yrs old and some of those parts may also be that age if nothings been replaced in that area.

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-07-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM

Agree w/ ac max 92 with my 2 cents worth: Your injectors might have a leaky o-ring when it's that cold. Mine did the same thing. Mine didn't leak much, just enough to be smelly. But not too long after, I had an injector go bad. It sounds like a misfire, but it is actually a "no-fire" since the internal coil on the injector shorts out and it doesn't open to let any fuel out. Yes, they should be at 11 ohms each if you can pull the connectors off and probe w/ a meter. If the leak is bad and you have the $$$'s, replace all 6. I did this on my 90 and 94 GXE's using AutoZone and O'Reilly injectors- I think they're Beck-Arnley or something like that. No need to sink BIG money using Nissan injectors- these work just fine. If you decide to do it yourself, it takes about 4-6 hours your first time. I've got it down to 2 hours I've done it so many times! Don't be like me- replace them all in one shot!!