3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

CEL code 51

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM

CEL code 51

So I was pushing the max a little hard last night and as soon as I pulled up to a traffic light, the CEL came on and the car started sputtering. I just pulled up the code and it is the dreaded 51. I have a fairly new set in the spare engine I kept from my wrecked 92 but they are the square tops, I was trying not cut the connectors but it may have to be done.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:03 AM

Wow you were fortunate enough to get a CEL on a bad injector(s) you should probably get yourself a lottery ticket lol. If you change over to the oval top you need to change the fuel rail and the plate between the upper and lower intake manifold aswell. I did the swap. Yes i had to cut and splice the connectors for the harness but haven't had any issues and things have ran smooth. Just either heat shrink over the solder or heat shrink and put the plastic coping over the wires afterward aswell for protection and asthetic purposes aswell. It would also open up more options should you ever decide to go to a larger injector size and the connectors are so much easier to remove rather than worrying about losing those metal retaining clips and the dry rot and cracking that occurs to the rubber bulbs on the square topp connectors.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 AM

Sorry my bad. After re reading your post it sounds like you'd be going from oval to square with your spare set??
Old 12-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Yes, mine is a 94 so most of the "bugs" we're already addressed.
I was not aware the injectors were not a straight swap. Are you saying the injector rails for the old square tops (92 max) won't bolt directly to the 94? If that's the case, I may very well make a trip to the junkyard.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Yes, mine is a 94 so most of the "bugs" we're already addressed.
I was not aware the injectors were not a straight swap. Are you saying the injector rails for the old square tops (92 max) won't bolt directly to the 94? If that's the case, I may very well make a trip to the junkyard.
They are different rails. The difference is where the injectors seat into the rail otherwise they look similar. If you are swapping the whole rail with injectors in place and not planning on putting the sqare tops in your 94 rail then yes it will work but you would need to change the plate between the upper and lower intake manifold as they are also different and the square top connectors are more of a pain with the rubber bulbs that crack and dry rot allowing more exposure to moisture and corrosion and retaining clips that are easy to loose unless you have a magnet handy when taking them off. All in all the 93-94 injector connectors are better i'd definately recomend sticking with what you have. Going to the square top setup would kinda be somewhat of a down grade and more headache than what its worth.

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-21-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:46 PM

You are right about them being a pita but the darn things are relatively new. I only have one injector, for now, so I will head to the junkyard and get me a replacement.. I will have to at some point, make decision on those square and the only reason I am contemplating using them is because I purchased them brand new. At best, they probably only have 30k miles on them. If I'm not able to find one at the junkyard then I have no choice.
James said he purchased the cheap Chinese set and to date have had no issues with them, I think I am going to order me a set. Very little to lose.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:09 AM

Well it might not hurt to give those chinese ones a try. I actually contemplated it myself before biting the bullet and just getting 6 jecs when "upgrading" from square top to oval. Just when changing injectors vs the whole rail you have to make sure they're seated properly so you don't run into fuel leaks and have to take everything apart again. Like i was saying you could just swap the whole rail using your square tops but you would still need to change the plate under the intake manifold aswell. I think the oval tops are much more user friendly and leave you open for more options if you ever decided to go with larger injectors at any point thats all but thats just my opinion. Also keep in mind that James has the ve so those red injectors are a little more cc's vs the pink injectors for the vg. Just make sure you get the right ones so your not running rich unless you decide to just go boost and grab some z32 injectors or something lol

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-23-2016 at 05:15 AM.