3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake lights stuck on and no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Brake lights stuck on and no dash lights

After 21 years of ownership, this is the first I've ever had a lighting issue.

Left the gym last night, notice a light reflection from the back of my car. Got closer and realize it was the brake lights that was on. I press the brake pedal a few times to see if was a stuck switch and nothing, lights are still on

I said screw it, I'll drive home with the hazards on. Got in the car, turn on the headlights and no dash lights.

Got home parked the car and disconnected the battery cable. Has anyone every experience this before?
Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM

Have you maybe tried checking the boards in the tail lights for any corrosion or bad connection. I seem to remember hearing that they can cause some havoc similar to what your describing.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Have you maybe tried checking the boards in the tail lights for any corrosion or bad connection. I seem to remember hearing that they can cause some havoc similar to what your describing.
I just unplugged one tail light harness at the time and no change. The brakes lights still stayed on
Old 02-11-2017, 01:06 PM

Check if the grommet on the brake pedal switch came off. They deteriorate and come off in age. That's what happened to me when I saw mine with the brake lights always on.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:24 AM

It is definitely the grommet on the pedal. Nissan still sells it, like $3. You should change the one for the cruise control as well, it uses the same one.
The brake light being on may have overheated the sockets and caused a short. I actually replaced the contacts in the metal housing because over the years they over heat and melt resulting in poor connection. Autozone sells the replacement internals. I seem remember modifying them slightly to fit. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Omg, it's definitely the grommet. I found pieces of the grommet on the carpet, looked up under the dash and nothing, grommets missing.

What's interesting, I remember seeing pieces of the hard rubber on the carpet several months ago and I was wondering were they came from. I figure maybe they got stuck in the soles of my boot and I didn't give it another thought. And this was right about the time my cruise control stop working. I just said screw it, I'll live with cruise control. Would would have thought to look up under the dash, LoL
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Question, can the new grommets be pop in with removing the brake light and cruise control switch? It looks pretty tight and cumbersome up there
Old 02-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Upon further inspection, my tail light socket assembly melted due to heat from the brake lights staying on.

Does the eBay Dorman 89-91 tail light socket assembly fit the later 3rd gens? Or is just a miss print from Dorman?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Btw, my no dash lights was due to a blown fuse
Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Ok, so Nissan part number for the grommet is 46512-H0101

Depending on your dealer, price range from $10-20 per grommet

I'm now searching Dorman for a similar product
Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM

This problem affects the 4th gen and 5th gen too. Epoxy a dime over the hole where the plastic bumper thing goes.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CandiMan
Upon further inspection, my tail light socket assembly melted due to heat from the brake lights staying on.

Does the eBay Dorman 89-91 tail light socket assembly fit the later 3rd gens? Or is just a miss print from Dorman?
If you look at my post, I indicated autozone sells the inserts for your tail light socket, you will need to splice them in.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by Tiniform
If you look at my post, I indicated autozone sells the inserts for your tail light socket, you will need to splice them in.
The heat melted the plastic housing in areas where the sockets attach. The sockets got heat damage but still usuable.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:42 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by DennisMik
This problem affects the 4th gen and 5th gen too. Epoxy a dime over the hole where the plastic bumper thing goes.
Not a bad idea, the switch itself can hold the coin in place while the epoxy dries overnight
Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

You should replace all of those grommets while you're at it. If one is broken, the others are on the way out.

Maybe you don't have as many since you're an auto, but the manual has several. A year or two ago I just bit the bullet and replaced them all at once on both of my VE's.

The taillight sockets burning up is annoying and common as well. I've been through it twice now in the past 7 or 8 years on my blue VE. The first time I bought entirely new socket housings from Nissan and those just burned up within a few years. This last time I replaced just the sockets themselves with some Dormans or whatever I bought at a parts store.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by James92SE
You should replace all of those grommets while you're at it. If one is broken, the others are on the way out.

Maybe you don't have as many since you're an auto, but the manual has several. A year or two ago I just bit the bullet and replaced them all at once on both of my VE's.

The taillight sockets burning up is annoying and common as well. I've been through it twice now in the past 7 or 8 years on my blue VE. The first time I bought entirely new socket housings from Nissan and those just burned up within a few years. This last time I replaced just the sockets themselves with some Dormans or whatever I bought at a parts store.
Yes, the auto's have two on one pedal. Brake light and cruise switch. I bought two grommets from the dealer this morning. I figured if the 1st set lasted 24 years, I should be good for at least another 20 years

Yes, our the taillight socket assembly is annoying. From the occasional loose ground screw, to the contact points melting/corroding, to the plastic housing getting brittle and cracking.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

This was my solution for fixing the plastic housing.
Drilled out broken section and used a longer bolt/nut

Last edited by CandiMan; 02-14-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:02 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

As I imagine, this is not a simple pop grommet in kinda job. I just tried today. The brake light/cruise control switch and steering column support brackets are in the way.

The correct way is probably to lower the steering column. I can't remember what it took to lower the colunm (I did it once when I took the dash out to change the heater core) but if it's involve to lower the column, I will be cutting the steering column support bracket.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

What appeared to looked like it was going to be a pain in the butt repair due to limited space, turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.

Once I lowered the steering column, bent a bracket out the way and used a piece of wood to keep the brake pedal down, I was able to pop in the new grommets with the aide of a needle nose pliers/vise grip.

My intent was not to remove the brake light or cruise control switch so I wouldn't have to re-adjust them and I was able to keep them in

The second pic shows one of the steering column bracket I bent out the way. Luckliy it's thin gauge sheet metal

Old 05-04-2017, 03:04 AM

This just happened to me aswell! Parked the car in the day and later at night i was going to leave somewhere until i noticed my brake lights were on,it drove me crazy for two days! Until i did a DIY fix with double tape and a small sturdy piece of plastic,the problem is now solved,to my surprise the car still turned on even when it was left with the Brake lights on for 4+ hours!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM

I think you are probably the only one to drop the steering column to put those grommets in.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tiniform
I think you are probably the only one to drop the steering column to put those grommets in.
lol right? All you had to do was have the car on to not hace the brake be so stiff and boom its literally a 5 min job