3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rear door panel lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:22 AM

Rear door panel lights

I had noticed my front door lights are o.k and when either passenger or drivers door is open all 4 panel lights come on but when opening the rear doors nothing so I decided to pull the switches and noticed the drivers side rear switch was not plugged in but the passenger side rear is plugged in but no light when door is opened. Do both rear door switches need to be plugged in to complete the circuit for the back doors? Either the connector fell back inside the hole or was clipped off at some point. I was just wondering where that wire runs before I go taking out the back seat to find it. It hasn't bothered me for some time but now I'm going to finally get around to putting on some LED maxima door sills and would like to wire the rears to come on when the back doors are open too.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:28 AM

That's a good thought, but they're independent. Pull the switch and ground the orange and black wire of the problematic door. Lights should turn on. Make sure the switches are fully screwed in before replacing, or assuming any are bad, as the ground source comes from switches themselves being screwed securely into the chassis.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 AM

Thanks Hectic. One of the problems is that I removed the rear drivers side switch and to my surprise no wire so I'm wondering where in runs or where id find it before I take out the back seat or remove the back seat belt in the trunk and start stripping things to find it. I'm not sure if the wire was once cut or if the connector/wire just fell back through the hole the switch screws into. I had some new metal put in my rear wheel wells so I'm wondering if the wire may have been clipped but I don't remember that the rear doors opened ever did illuminate the lights but when either front door opens all 4 doors do illuminate.