3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen celebrity

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 AM

3rd Gen celebrity

I was driving by a Nissan dealer and decided to stop in and take a look at the lineup just to do some research in case the 23.5 year old Max decides to kick the bucket someday. I parked the car and 3 salesman came running out to the lot, probably in their 20s and 30s and I'm thinking, "Oh great, sales must be slow, this was a mistake." And then, this happened:

"Is that a 94 GXE? Those cars are legendary, we've never seen one. They lasted forever. We heard some people got 500,000 miles and then some. Mind if we take a look? Can we get in and start it? Can I pop the hood? Oh my God, there is such little rust. Wow, look at those automatic seatbelts! Bose stereo, clean tan interior...this is amazing. Mind if we take some pictures? We tell people all the time these cars are good, but we've never seen one this old still rolling and it is in amazing shape. You are the original owner! How is that possible?"

It was nice to see that there are still some real car fans selling cars.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

I know what you mean. In recent times I occasionally get the thumbs up or "I remember those cars" and "I had one" comments also. I've even had a a few ask "what model car is that" maybe it was the Stillen kit that threw them off
Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

That's pretty cool - although that honestly surprises me quite a bit. I say that because it's only been very recently that these cars have REALLY started to fall off the face of the earth. Up until just the past year or so I would regularly see at least a good half-dozen 3rd gens on any given day (at least here in DFW). It was uncommon to see ones in good cosmetic shape but I would see multiple per day regardless. Of course the vast majority of those were GXE's as those were the most common/plentiful 3rd gens sold over the years.

This is also evidenced in my couple-of-times per month junkyard hopping. Seriously just in the past year or so, 3rd gens have gone from a handful in each yard to it now being uncommon for me to find a single 3rd gen in any given yard I visit.

So, anyway, yes these cars have all but disappeared but that is only VERY recently, so I'm very surprised to hear anybody in their 20's or 30's especially gush over it as if it's a rare car. These cars existed in large numbers until just very recently - same as the 3rd gen Camry. Of course there were WAY more Camrys but even those are disappearing quick these days.

Still very cool story! I can't say I get any attention or interest like that in either of my VE's - only occasional attention on my blue one simply because of the color and my vanity plates.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:56 PM

I am in New England, so I think the road salt, slushy weather and massive pot holes do a pretty good job destroying cars over time, even with modern rust resistance. Jealous of you Dallas guys with your dry, sunny weather. I've seen one 3rd gen a few towns away over the past few years and saw another in Rehoboth, Delaware last year. Other than that, sightings have been rare for at least the past 5 years.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 PM

That's amazing story, I for one, would love to get my hand on a 3rd gen but what you have all been saying, they are disappearing off the road and very very hard to find one for sale. Since a lot has to do with availability of replacement parts along with the VE engine is seem to be difficult to service, such as the VTC, but the GXE VG engine is plentiful around to do.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:32 AM

I'll give you a legendary 3rd gen..
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

did anyone ask if you want to sell it? LOL
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by DanNY
did anyone ask if you want to sell it? LOL
Yes, often
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 PM
No turbo, no care!

I never get much attention either, unless someone notices how quick it is, then they want to ask me at the next light "what in the hell did you have done to that thing???"

But James is right, the 3rd gens were sold in large numbers. Sadly the transmissions were what lead to its death today. Most kids dont know how to drive stick, and many perfect 3rd gens have been found in the junkyards because the auto trans died and the cost to repair it was too much......
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 AM

I've had a number of comments on mine but it's usually the younger crowd admiring it and asking what it is being the car was before their time and I'm probably one of a very small handfuls of people that probably still owns one here where I am due to either tranny problems like maxpwer stated or them rotting away from our Canadian winters. I have had the odd staff at the dealership make some comments too as to how they were a good car and the fact you don't see them around here anymore especially in the condition mine is in.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Well, James92SE and ac max 92 deserve credit for helping me keep mine in working order. Thanks guys.