3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VE 5 speed transmission parts source

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 AM

VE 5 speed transmission parts source

Yes i'm still alive, and so is the car (well, for the most part)

For a long time now, the input shaft bearing has been on its way out (noisy). Yes, i did pretty much rebuild the entire car about 7 years ago, JDM engine/suspension/etc except for the trans itself which was fine at the time. The car is at a local shop right now to finally get this fixed since I have zero time to do it myself and even so, i wouldnt dive into an actual transmission rebuild with limited time like this. James has that nicely detailed RS5F50V rebuild thread, but my car is just bolt-on modded so i dont need that beefed up level of treatment here. Just a stock rebuild to get me back down the road

Best case scenario they said it would need a bearing and seal kit, which is readily available, and assuming everything else inside checks out ok, put it all back together then back in the car and I'm on my way

The part where things get hairy is if the can of worms opens up and its going to need more things replaced. And given the age and rarity of the car these days, hes afraid of parts not being readily available, and/or high cost.

Is there a particular source(s) for rebuild parts, outside of the dealer? - that is even if the dealers DO still carry them these days, ive been out of the loop for awhile
Old 05-10-2017, 12:44 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

You can get everything aftermarket in a kit like I bought - I bought my kit from American Powertrain Warehouse. In fact, their aftermarket kits come with the exact same bearings that the OE's use (Nachi, NTN, NSK, etc). The part number for the kit I used is BK182EWS and even came with an OEM Nissan bagged/labeled synchro assembly too (can't remember which one offhand). All the other synchros I was literally unable to distinguish from my OEM ones other than the OEM ones being dirty.

Also, my beef-up thread is the exact same procedure for a general rebuild, just reinstall the factory gears rather than the aftermarket straight cut stuff
Old 05-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
You can get everything aftermarket in a kit like I bought - I bought my kit from American Powertrain Warehouse. In fact, their aftermarket kits come with the exact same bearings that the OE's use (Nachi, NTN, NSK, etc). The part number for the kit I used is BK182EWS and even came with an OEM Nissan bagged/labeled synchro assembly too (can't remember which one offhand). All the other synchros I was literally unable to distinguish from my OEM ones other than the OEM ones being dirty.

Also, my beef-up thread is the exact same procedure for a general rebuild, just reinstall the factory gears rather than the aftermarket straight cut stuff
yup what james said...the only thing is that the shims are NLA. not sure if rebuilders are even going to check but just throwing it out there.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up guys. I sent over the american powertrain warehouse website with those synchro/bearing kits as an FYI. Now i'm concerned about the shim availability issue, so ill see what they have to say. I saw in your thread that you mentioned mcmaster shims; ill keep those in mind