3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone interested in URETHANE bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 11:25 PM

Anyone interested in URETHANE bushings?

I'd like to try getting somebody interested in making up a bushing kit for the 3rd gen cars. Problem is they're going to want numbers to justify the work.

I'd like to see motor and transmission mounts, front control arm bushings, front swaybar bushings, and maybe rear drag link and lateral link bushings. I'm not so hot on the rear stuff cause the lateral links would involve dropping the fuel tank.

The suspension bushings would be good for everybody and pretty easy to produce using off the shelf parts, while the engine and trans mounts are key for anyone making power but probably custom.

Guessing $150 for suspension bits, $250 for motor & trans.

Anyone else into it?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:45 PM
STFU n00b!

Kaleb mentioned in the "boost" post about the urethane engine mounts.. shoot him a message about them.

some of the factory bushings are already made in urethane (i.e. energy suspension does all the bushings for the suspension tech sway bars), and the control arm bushings will be a PIA ro reproduce, and not really recommended.

Kaleb has worked with energy suspension on the engine and control arm mounts, and they pretty much decided the control arms should stay OEM.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:48 PM

Well urethane control arm bushings don't do squat, I've installed some prototypes and not only did I not feel a difference, but they split apart after about 10K. The stock steel/rubber pieces are PERFECTLY engineered and are hard as a rock, so I'd just replace those with new ones (your local dealer might tell you they aren't available separately, but they are... from an earlier Maxima). I've since put stock ones back on.

You don't have to drop the fuel tank to get to the parallel links or radius rod, and bushings there would be nice except I'm worried they'd be too harsh, so I haven't had any made. I'll probably replace my GXE ones with some from an SE (new of course), cuz they are stiffer. Of course, new bushings are softer than old ones, because rubber dries. But sometimes a nice ride is worth it. I'll make it up with sub frame connectors.

It's nice to know you seem to know what you're talking about, even Matt put it a good word about you! Welcome to the community. Please email me, I'd like to talk with you more.

kaleb@kalebonline.com

-Kaleb
Old 02-01-2002, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by kaleb
Well urethane control arm bushings don't do squat, I've installed some prototypes and not only did I not feel a difference, but they split apart after about 10K. The stock steel/rubber pieces are PERFECTLY engineered and are hard as a rock, so I'd just replace those with new ones (your local dealer might tell you they aren't available separately, but they are... from an earlier Maxima). I've since put stock ones back on.

You don't have to drop the fuel tank to get to the parallel links or radius rod, and bushings there would be nice except I'm worried they'd be too harsh, so I haven't had any made. I'll probably replace my GXE ones with some from an SE (new of course), cuz they are stiffer. Of course, new bushings are softer than old ones, because rubber dries. But sometimes a nice ride is worth it. I'll make it up with sub frame connectors.

It's nice to know you seem to know what you're talking about, even Matt put it a good word about you! Welcome to the community. Please email me, I'd like to talk with you more.

kaleb@kalebonline.com

-Kaleb
:about control arm bushing

yah a lot of my local nissan dealers dont know squat when it comes to the parts department.. i would stick with the stock control arm bushings they work great.. if you need new ones.. give courtesynissan a call.. www.courtesyparts.com

but later in the future i would like to inquire more about urethane motor mounts and tranny mounts
Old 02-01-2002, 06:18 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

urethane engine mount please.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd be interested in polyurethane bushings for sure... Err, I mean, fo sho! Stock steering feel is not good enough for me, even on an SE.