3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power windows work intermittently?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 PM

Power windows work intermittently?...

Hi Guys...yes still driving the old 94 gxe. Question: my power windows have a mind of their own...sometimes the switches power them and most of the time they don't? Seems when first starting the car (cold start) they work...later they don't. Thinking heat plays into this equation...Your help appreciated!
Thanks in advance !
Old 07-04-2017, 03:27 AM

If there is a problem with a part, you replace it. I don't know why people think electronics are any different. If you are electrically inclined then you can repair failures. Otherwise look at it like any other part on a car.

Replace it and your problem is solved. It does not interact with any other control units, it is the control unit.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 AM

With any electric problem the troubleshooting procedure is always the same: get the electric diagram from the FSM, trace 12V and ground from source to consumer.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:29 PM

The power windows get their power through a circuit breaker and not a fuse. Circuit breakers do wear out and work intermittently.

The circuit breaker is located under the dash, driver side, somewhere behind the fuse panel. Since I have never changed one, I'm not sure exactly where.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:22 AM

I have seen the same symptoms (working when cold but not warm) and found breaks in the traces, and repaired by bridging them. You will need solder and and iron, and ideally some wire for bridging the gap(s).

Might be easier just to replace it though. I have found a few newer master window switches at the junkyard in the past couple years because they had already been replaced. You might get lucky.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
I have seen the same symptoms (working when cold but not warm) and found breaks in the traces, and repaired by bridging them. You will need solder and and iron, and ideally some wire for bridging the gap(s).

Might be easier just to replace it though. I have found a few newer master window switches at the junkyard in the past couple years because they had already been replaced. You might get lucky.
Hectic...so the master switch is in the door?...on mine all windows work or all don't work...however the door locks continues to work.

Anyone know the part number?

Thanks Everyone for all replies...

Last edited by Starrider; 07-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:17 PM

This should be an easy DIY fix and all you need is a soldering iron. At the same time you can turn the passenger button into 1-click up/down, there is a write up on this forum how to do that.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Starrider
Hectic...so the master switch is in the door?...on mine all windows work or all don't work...however the door locks continues to work.

Anyone know the part number?

Thanks Everyone for all replies...
The master window switch is the driver window switch with all the buttons. They are $200 new. But it's a 10 minute job to replace it and they can be found in any 89-94 Maxima at the junkyard. If you get one that doesn't work, get another one. I have spares all over the place.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:43 AM

I got sick of junk JY window master switches and broke down and ordered the $150 part from Advance Auto Parts (Intermotor S9763). Turned out to be a factory part in the box and all my window problems went away.