3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tail lamp fuse blown no tail lights no dash lights no marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Tail lamp fuse blown no tail lights no dash lights no marker lights

Ok so this is my first post on this site and I want to be clear about what I mean and say. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS. I'm putting stuff in my trunk one night when I notice my tail lights are off so I immediately go to my fuse box located next to the steering wheel. The tail lamp fuse (left side, sixth one down) is blown. So I change it right there since I had a spare 10a (fuse). It blows again as soon as I switch the parking lights (tail lamps)on. The marker lights are also out. The next day I look at all the bulbs and they're all fine. The brake lights work fine (they're not hooked up to the same fuse as the tail lights obviously, just stating the fact) the tail lamp lights work fine not melted or corroded, the sockets also look fine. One of the front marker light bulbs was blown. Changed it. Still having a problem. So my boss, who knows a good amount about electric, hot wires the the tail lamps to a jumper pack in my trunk and uses my car as a ground and the lights worked fine and the wires weren't heating up so I'm assuming there's no problem with the ground anywhere. Our conclusion: the headlight switch has gone bad. I remove the headlight switch to inspect the contacts and lo and behold they look fine. but just cause it looks like an Elephant doesn't mean that it ain't a turtle.

Last edited by Vg30ekid; 07-05-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Didn't post the full problem
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

It was a stupid bulb still worked but it was kind of corroded
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Having the same problem again and this time it was the socket replaced it and still am having the same problem now I'm taking my whole car apart tracing the wires to see where it might be shorting. Anyone got any ideas
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM

I had an issue in which the plastic was brittle, broke on the part where the you screw into the plastic. The lead shorted into the other bulb lead. It Caused me not to have a lighted dash.

Make sure that those wires don't move from the taillight panel.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Something similar happened to me and it turned out to be a pigtail up by the headlight, oddly. Something is shorting out or damaged. Tracing is your best bet.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 PM

Hey, I just had this issue during the winter. And resolved it thank god, funny enough it blew when I was pulling away from a check stop.

A few questions here for you.
if you replace the fuse and turn the lights on with the ignition in the "off" position are your lights working? If yes does the fuse blow when you change the key position anywhere from off to start? And at what point? If you leave the lights off start the car then turn lights on does the fuse blow?

With the fuse blown when you depress the brake pedal what lights are actually running?
Is your dash and tails and plate lights coming on or your brake lights?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:33 PM

http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Maxima/1994/el.pdf
This is the electrical factory service manual very useful.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM

Well I tried pm you but nothing so I guess you forgot about this place!

For future issues like this my resolution was a grounded out rad fan #2.
Yes it shares a circuit.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have same problem I need the right rear assembly. Does anyone have?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluetii
i have same problem I need the right rear assembly. Does anyone have?
I have a pair of tail lights. Pm me if your interested. I also have a bunch of other parts listed in the classifieds if your interested.