3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need some help on idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 02:07 PM

Need some help on idle problem

Up untill a few days ago the idle would get rough after reaching normal operating tempature & theres also a spudering sound coming from the exhust, but now its rough all the time UNLESS I'm running the A/C as long as the A/C's runnin she idles ok & spudering sounds go away for the most part. WTF?
Old 02-08-2002, 05:49 PM
spongeMatt

Re: Need some help on idle problem

Originally posted by 3RDGEN
Up untill a few days ago the idle would get rough after reaching normal operating tempature & theres also a spudering sound coming from the exhust, but now its rough all the time UNLESS I'm running the A/C as long as the A/C's runnin she idles ok & spudering sounds go away for the most part. WTF?
The Engine Control Unit (ECU) under the dash compensates for electrical load (i.e., AC running) by raising the idle speed, so it may just be a low idle. If its rough OFF-idle then you probably only have 5 cylinders firing. You can figure out which one is hosed by disconnecting the spark plug wire leading to each plug, one by one, until you find the one that doesn't make the engine run even worse.

If thats the case, you need to diagnose whether it is lack of spark, lack of gas, or something else (this is where I am at right now; see the discussion on "No combustion in #5 cylinder; VE30DE")

Old 02-09-2002, 12:59 PM

if it was running 4 cylinders i think they idle would be alot more rough than what you described it. From my experience when you turn on the AC the idle actually drops because you turn the compressor on. thats kinda weird
Old 02-09-2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh
if it was running 4 cylinders i think they idle would be alot more rough than what you described it. From my experience when you turn on the AC the idle actually drops because you turn the compressor on. thats kinda weird
YEAH! And as far as the injectors go I just replaced em all a few months ago with OEM. Last month I had a new engine installed (with new injectors) & they sd some mounts are bad, do you think it could be that, or mabe somthin with the belts/pully's?