3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

89 GXE-Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 06:18 PM

89 GXE-Exhaust Question

I am trying to sell my 89 gxe and am told that the flexible section of exhaust up front right off the manifold is about to let loose. The guy who looked at it at a mom and pop place, said that the aftermarket part ($300) doesn't fit quite right and the dealer fresh part is like $600.

Is surely don't want to spend that $$ before selling but wondered if anyone has this part in good condition that will not make me have to bite my tongue when selling and say that everything is fine with the exhaust when I know it is sounding noisier and could turn into a tank any day.

Perhaps someone that has made some mods has a left over part?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2002, 01:59 PM

Re: 89 GXE-Exhaust Question

Originally posted by vtkahns
I am trying to sell my 89 gxe and am told that the flexible section of exhaust up front right off the manifold is about to let loose. The guy who looked at it at a mom and pop place, said that the aftermarket part ($300) doesn't fit quite right and the dealer fresh part is like $600.

Is surely don't want to spend that $$ before selling but wondered if anyone has this part in good condition that will not make me have to bite my tongue when selling and say that everything is fine with the exhaust when I know it is sounding noisier and could turn into a tank any day.

Perhaps someone that has made some mods has a left over part?

Thanks
Are you referring to the braided flex hose? If so, have you checked out JCWhitney.com? CarParts.com? A used stainless steel flex hose would probably be cheapest but if you can't find a used one, a new one isn't even close to $300 (let alone $600).
Old 02-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Get Off My Lawn

You're being ****ed...

Any muffler shop should have extra flex sections lying around, new. I I thought me paying (can't recall exact $$) $80-100 was outragous for that peice! I wonder if he was talking about replacing the entire front pipe section coming off the manifolds that the flex piece is part of? My front section had split before I got it. I could tell because of the welds on it. Maybe he's saying the front pipe is going or he's thinking he has to replace the whole thing to fix a hole in the flex portion? Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:24 PM
Tom

Y-Pipe

Take a look at the link below. Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/vgside.jpg

This is actually a popular aftermarket performance mod for Maximas. A lot of people on the forum got these for their cars and had good results. If you simply want to sell your car, then you can even get an economy non-mandrel bent version for $195.

Click below for more details

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm