3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bad max (sorry kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 05:22 PM

bad max (sorry kinda long)

Alright guys and gals any help would be greatly appreciated. Here it goes, My max 92se 5spd is acting bad. What it does is that it bucks; hesitates, jerks, surges whatever you want to call it. It will do it usually in 1st through 3rd gear once I get past that into 4th and 5th it is fine. But as soon as I give it gas it hesitate momentarily.
The following is a list of what I have replaced to remedy this problem:
1) Replace water temp sensor.
2) Added fuel injection cleaner to gas.
3) Added water remover to gas.
4) New spark plugs.
5) In just about every connector I could get to I put dielectric grease.
and cleaned contacts.
6) Checked timing its OK
7) And this past weekend I replaced the # 4,5,6 ignition coils, ouch.
8) Inspected #1,2,3 ignition coils there fine.
I have run out of things to check for, I have done multiple searches on here and can't come up with anything.
I checked the EGR valve it works fine, the only thing that I can think of it being is the idle valve, so I am planning on taking the car this week to get a diagnostic check up. So like I mentioned above any help appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2002, 05:25 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Check your MAF sensor. I had a similar problem.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Check your MAF sensor. I had a similar problem.
Forgot to mention I have already replaced it also. Got it used went thru two of 'em.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:15 PM

how does the car idle? Is it a steady idle or does it move up and down alot? If it moves up and down alot, you may want to clean out your throttle body, and change out your air filter. Youve done so much to it already, i don't know what it possibly could be.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by xXxMulePowerxXx
how does the car idle? Is it a steady idle or does it move up and down alot? If it moves up and down alot, you may want to clean out your throttle body, and change out your air filter. Youve done so much to it already, i don't know what it possibly could be.
The car does idle kinda wierd, it idles funny when reaching operating temp after I've been on the road for a while it will idle fine. I read in one the of the many searches I have done is to try and spray TB or carb cleaner in the automatic idle valve but I don't know in what inlet to spray in. I know where the valve is located but just don't where to spray it.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:07 AM
blakMaxchicago

i have the same problem and am getting it fixed

Hi I'm new.

I have the same problem, and I went to the mechanic and he found that 2 fuel injectors arnet firing properly. I had also tried to clean them using the fuel injector cleaner, but that didnt work. I guess theyre just tooo dirty or something. So its actually in the shop rite now being fixed, they'll replace the 2 injetors. when i pick it up later today ill repost and let u know if that worked. i also did full tune up and everything and that didn thelp, but ihave a feeling this is whats wrong. anyway, im out wish you luck.

Old 02-26-2002, 09:56 AM

i think it's my fuel injectors, since i'm 99% sure one of mine quit entirely. i think they go bad on our cars. . . . .
Old 02-26-2002, 10:11 AM
kjc07

check your fuel pump also, it could be going bad, also check your pcv valve, it could be sticking. you should check all of your vacuum lines as well.

Old 02-26-2002, 10:21 AM
blakMaxchicago

i think its cuz so many ppl use low octane

I have a 90 GXE, and it said in the manual to use premium, but for 3 years i was runnin on regular, and now im getting 3 fuel injectors replaced (mechanic just called and said third one is also bad). i have heard on the net that they go bad, but i think its cuz most ppl use regular (89 octane, etc.) i've been using premium for a few months but apparently it was too little too late. anyway just thought id add that for general info. peace.

Old 02-26-2002, 01:40 PM

Re: i think its cuz so many ppl use low octane

Originally posted by blakMaxchicago
I have a 90 GXE, and it said in the manual to use premium, but for 3 years i was runnin on regular, and now im getting 3 fuel injectors replaced (mechanic just called and said third one is also bad). i have heard on the net that they go bad, but i think its cuz most ppl use regular (89 octane, etc.) i've been using premium for a few months but apparently it was too little too late. anyway just thought id add that for general info. peace.
Well, I'll be taking it in Thursday to see what is freaking wrong with it, seems to be getting worse. Almost to the point of undriveable. It will work fine on the highway, can't understand why only in street traffic it does this.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:44 AM
blakMaxchicago

IT WORKED!

I got my car back baby and......

THE MAXIMA IS BACK! WOO HOOO!

Man it's like brand new its SOOOOOOOOO fast, just like when i first got it. I'm hitting 95 in no time, and im talkin about MPH baby. WOO HOO! Tell your m echanic to check the fuel injectors man, that mite be it.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: IT WORKED!

Originally posted by blakMaxchicago
I got my car back baby and......

THE MAXIMA IS BACK! WOO HOOO!

Man it's like brand new its SOOOOOOOOO fast, just like when i first got it. I'm hitting 95 in no time, and im talkin about MPH baby. WOO HOO! Tell your m echanic to check the fuel injectors man, that mite be it.
Well, i picked my car yesterday they charged me 130 bucks to have it diagnosed and to set the idle on it. It idles fine now but the hesitating, jerking, bucking is still there. The tech said there were no codes that showed up on the computer. He did tell me that there might be a short somewhere that makes the ECU go crazy. Anybody ever heard of that or is that a bunch of BS. If so could it be the bose system, the guy I bought it from took all the rear amps out there is a couple of loose wires back there. I will have someone look at the fuel injectors. Maybe that will be the problem. I changed out the fuel filter the other day it didn't help. What now? I may just burn the car now. haha J/K.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:08 PM

Check the MAF sensor again! I had a headache for two years. All checks pointed to a good MAF. However, the bucking, jerking problem did not go away until I replaced it. No codes would show up either. Take off the plastic concealing the ECU, angle a mirror on the floor so you can monitor the LEDs on ECU while driving. If you see the green
LED going erratically(it should flash steadily-depending on speed) then I Would suspect the MAF.