3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Who has done either added a turbo or done an engine swap to a 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 03:22 PM

Who has done either added a turbo or done an engine swap to a 3rd gen?

Hey,
I'm am really trying to decide how to spend some money. I am in school so it can't be a several week job. I either want to do an engine swap or add a turbo to my 94 gxe. I just want some advice to this. Also, how do i do a search on here?
Old 02-25-2002, 03:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Who has done either added a turbo or done an engine swap to a 3rd gen?

Originally posted by cbrflyer919

I am in school so it can't be a several week job.

OK

I either want to do an engine swap or add a turbo to my 94 gxe. I just want some advice to this. Also, how do i do a search on here?
Given the first quote, then neither of these are probably for you. I assume you would have to hire someone(expensive) or even if you did it yourself, it will take a few weeks at least.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I sugest you start here.....

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=101
http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=187
http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

understand what a "turboing" your car will take and whether or not you're up for it.....IMO do your research first THEN ask questions!!!
Old 02-25-2002, 10:47 PM

Hey,
I'm am really trying to decide how to spend some money. I am in school so it can't be a several week job. I either want to do an engine swap or add a turbo to my 94 gxe. I just want some advice to this. Also, how do i do a search on here?

So you want to turbo your GXE? Is it an auto?
My advise? Buy another car unless you're totally nuts about Maximas. If you are totally nuts, and nuts about Maximas, than you are in the right place. If you have the money and are in the midwest, PM me. I can hook you up with the people who can do it, but it's a whole lot of money otherwise my broke a$$ would be cruisin in a turbo VG max right now...
Old 02-25-2002, 10:48 PM

I suggest you take DA-MAX's advise and check out howthingswork.com
Old 02-25-2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989
I suggest you take DA-MAX's advise and check out howthingswork.com
wouldnt be funny if they had another web site.. that is www.howthingsworkAThowthingswork.com
Old 02-25-2002, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by mykizism

wouldnt be funny if they had another web site.. that is www.howthingsworkAThowthingswork.com
How about: howhowthingswork.com works.com !!!
Old 02-26-2002, 12:10 AM
STFU n00b!

Re: Re: Who has done either added a turbo or done an engine swap to a 3rd gen?

So you want to turbo your GXE? Is it an auto?
My advise? Buy another car unless you're totally nuts about Maximas. If you are totally nuts, and nuts about Maximas, than you are in the right place. If you have the money and are in the midwest, PM me. I can hook you up with the people who can do it, but it's a whole lot of money otherwise my broke a$$ would be cruisin in a turbo VG max right now...

So just who in the midwest is capable of doing this?
Nobody near Tulsa, I can tell you that.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:21 AM

Nope.
There all up in the Northwest.
Cept for MaximaTypeR
he's got skillz
Old 02-26-2002, 12:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Who has done either added a turbo or done an engine swap to a 3rd gen?

Originally posted by Matt93SE

So just who in the midwest is capable of doing this?
Nobody near Tulsa, I can tell you that.
A shop on the north east side of Indianapolis at I-465 and I-69 on 82nd St.
They do a lot of engine swaps and turbo installs/fabs, mostly Honda, but last time I was in there they were telling me that a turbo on my car was not as far fetched an idea as I thought it was. Sure, they said it would cost a lot of money, but they said that any turbo set up would cost a lot of money. I don't think they much believe in "bolt-on" turbo kits. I don't think I do either. Fact is, if you really want to turbo a VG, you had better be serious and expect to give up your "daily driver" status cuase it's not a Honda and noone makes a crappy bolt-on kit. If you really want to know about these guys, Matt, just PM me and I'll give you thier number no problem.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:26 AM

BTW Matt: they did say that they had done it before so apparently it has been done. I have heard from a few people that they have done it or know someone who has but for some reason the car is always wrecked before they can get pics...??
Old 02-26-2002, 07:10 AM
STFU n00b!

Indy isn't in the widwest!

I used to Live in Terre Haute. Know that drive very well. I-69 north to I-44. I-44 east to St. Louis. I-70 East from St Louis to Terre Haute/Indy/wherever.
Indy is friggin 650 miles from here!

I'm also fully aware of what it'll take to do the turbo, and I've been working on it for a while now. I have everything lined up but the new ECU.

I also don't have a VG. There's actually more room in the engine bay on a VE than on a VG. weird, eh?
Old 02-26-2002, 05:38 PM

Indy isn't in the widwest!

I used to Live in Terre Haute. Know that drive very well. I-69 north to I-44. I-44 east to St. Louis. I-70 East from St Louis to Terre Haute/Indy/wherever.
Indy is friggin 650 miles from here!

I'm also fully aware of what it'll take to do the turbo, and I've been working on it for a while now. I have everything lined up but the new ECU.

I also don't have a VG. There's actually more room in the engine bay on a VE than on a VG. weird, eh?
If Indy isn't in the midwest, than where the hell is it??!! It's the crossroads of America! It's certainly not east coast!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:13 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Heres my prcie list so far....

for what its worth, I haven't spent anything close to what I planned and no I won't say tell anythign specific.....

front manifold(w/ crossover)- $75
turbo- $250; 35k miles, okay condition(pulled it myself )
new wastegate assembly- $
boost controller- free
BOV- free(don't have it yet though)
fuel "control"(nope no specifics )- $120
50mm piping kit- $120(yeah its kinda a rip off, but oh well, its got pre-made bends, clamps and connectors)

some crap I still have to buy
igniton upgrade (nope, still no specifics )- $350
some high heat silicone hose- ??
rebuild turbo-$250
ss tubing-??
some custom pipe bending- $350-400
various gaskets and flanges-??
upgrade fuel pump- ??
some more gadgets here and there
no need for an IC...right now!

I figure this, engine wise, its good for ~5psi, which is all I'll need for now.....seriously, if you do enough research this can be done pretty easily, it might not be some low 12's out the box super Max, but it'll tun some heads! now will it work, who the **** knows till I'm done, but the satisfaction of knowing I got most of this together on my own, makes much mopre of a difference!

basically if you want to do this right, you gotta have these.....RESEARCH and PATIENCE!!!! and your floor should look like this, thats "research" at its best -->

(click on turbo)
http://pub35.bravenet.com/photocente...num=2940397919

All I can say is good luck to all those that ake this on....I know I'll need some too!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:20 PM

If Indy isn't in the midwest, than where the hell is it??!! It's the crossroads of America! It's certainly not east coast!
LOL.. anything in the mid west is a field to me.. so horrible.. but i think of all you guys living in one huge flatland.. stereo types are bad..mmmmk.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:38 PM

Well a guy I know who builds and races celicas told me that for about a week and a half without my car and about 2000-2300 dollars he would return to me a 300zx turbo powered maxima. This is turnkey mind you. Am I insane for not taking this deal? He does really good work but its all on toyotas that Ive seen.
-
-
-Another question---doesn't a V-6 need 2 turbo's to run smoothly?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Another question---doesn't a V-6 need 2 turbo's to run smoothly?
you obviously arent reading what we are posting.....do your research!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 09:27 PM
STFU n00b!

dude, if you have to ask those kinds of questions, you need to just buy a car that comes with a turbo from the factory. modifying a maxima is NOT what you're capable of doing, unless you put a lot of research into it and about six months of learning before you have a chance at doing this kind of work. even if it is just writing a check to a guy- you still have to know how to maintain it and fix things when they break (which will be very often. a maxima is not designed for 300+ hp. weird stuff will break all the time and you have to know how to fix it.)

if you don't and just take it to the shop every time a bracket snaps or bearing goes bad or whatever, you'll spend $1000/month just keeping the car running.
are you prepared to do all that?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:07 PM

dude, if you have to ask those kinds of questions, you need to just buy a car that comes with a turbo from the factory. modifying a maxima is NOT what you're capable of doing, unless you put a lot of research into it and about six months of learning before you have a chance at doing this kind of work. even if it is just writing a check to a guy- you still have to know how to maintain it and fix things when they break (which will be very often. a maxima is not designed for 300+ hp. weird stuff will break all the time and you have to know how to fix it.)

if you don't and just take it to the shop every time a bracket snaps or bearing goes bad or whatever, you'll spend $1000/month just keeping the car running.
Thats why i am geting Warpspeed SFC's to hold my max together when I get some more ponies
Old 02-26-2002, 10:23 PM

300+hp? What kind of turbo will do that?
yeah, brackets... bearings... SEALS... piston rings... the list goes on and on. I just want to get a Supra and get on with it.
I think what this guy wants to do is turn the car his mom gave him in to a street racing powerhouse or something. I say he should be lucky he can even get clear corners for his grocery getter! If you want a bolt on turbo buy a freakin Honda. If you want straight outta the box hp and reliability, and still want your leather and cd player and moonroof and all of that, keep your Maxima and go to engineering school. When you learn how a turbo is done you can come and do mine, too.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:37 PM

keep your Maxima and go to engineering school. When you learn how a turbo is done you can come and do mine, too.
i must of missed the 'how to turbo your maxima' class somewhere inbetween my freshman and senior year. damn, i knew sleeping in past my morning classes was gonna come back to bite me in the ***
Old 02-26-2002, 10:39 PM
STFU n00b!

300hp can be done on a VG with a few "regular" mods and about 8-10lb boost.

it can be done on a VE with 7lb of boost and nothing else..

that's flywheel hp though. to the ground HP will require a bit more, but still isn't hard to hit with the correct setup.

there's tons of VQs that are putting out nearly 300hp to the ground (several that have surpassed that mark) with 12psi.

a VE has almost identical potential as the VQ, so 300+hp out of a VE is definitely feasible.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

most standard T3's are god up to 325hp.....and a t3 isn't even big ****!
Old 02-26-2002, 10:42 PM

300hp can be done on a VG with a few "regular" mods and about 8-10lb boost.

it can be done on a VE with 7lb of boost and nothing else..

that's flywheel hp though. to the ground HP will require a bit more, but still isn't hard to hit with the correct setup.

there's tons of VQs that are putting out nearly 300hp to the ground (several that have surpassed that mark) with 12psi.

a VE has almost identical potential as the VQ, so 300+hp out of a VE is definitely feasible.
How would you pump 10lb of boost in a VG without blowing it up? Diff pistons? Isn't the compression ratio a bit high for all that boost? Especially on such an old engine?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yeah, brackets... bearings... SEALS... piston rings... the list goes on and on.
Yeah, unless you do a "mild" turbo job (like under 240HP, which has been done), there's just too many things that'll need attention. Like the transmission, driveaxles, engine mounts... bleh.

(BTW, I snipped a portion of my post because once again, I find I type "hella slow")
Old 02-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you need to research too.... 9:1 compression on the VG is perfect! as for doing this on hust any engine, thats where the "factors" apply.....thats why you buy yourself another engine!

How would you pump 10lb of boost in a VG without blowing it up? Diff pistons? Isn't the compression ratio a bit high for all that boost? Especially on such an old engine?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
you need to research too.... 9:1 compression on the VG is perfect! as for doing this on hust any engine, thats where the "factors" apply.....thats why you buy yourself another engine!

I have researched, but there is a lot about forced induction I still don't understand. There is so much to learn about it and how it applys to specific applications. Forgive me, I am an ex-muscle car gear head!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:10 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

yeah it took me a while, but now I have a lot more understanding...to tell you the truth, all I did was put "turbo" in as a search on Altavista and went to work....found a **** load of info. heres another good page for some info.....allows you to select a turbo specific for your application using that "Java thingy" from Ray Hall's site-->

http://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm

I have researched, but there is a lot about forced induction I still don't understand. There is so much to learn about it and how it applys to specific applications. Forgive me, I am an ex-muscle car gear head!!!
Old 02-27-2002, 12:53 AM

heh, im a dummy but when gettin up there in the HP on an auto? wouldnt a z31 tranny do the trick? or is in not possible because of the RWD? what is the difference between trannys that allows the one on the z31's to handle more power?
Old 02-27-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Dummy
heh, im a dummy but when gettin up there in the HP on an auto? wouldnt a z31 tranny do the trick? or is in not possible because of the RWD? what is the difference between trannys that allows the one on the z31's to handle more power?
its not the tranny that produce's more hp.. its the design of the engine it self.

no you couldnt put a z31 tranny into a max it wouldnt fit.. b/c its a Rwd by design. you would have to use a stock maxima tranny weather it be auto or 5spd.. 5spd is recommended b/c its stronger than the auto..

what is the difference between trannys that allows the one on the z31's to handle more power?
there are many difference's between max and 300zx tranny..
no.1 what i just said one is a FWD design and the other is RWD.
no.2 basic internal design.. its not that one can handle more power than the other.. its just that the auto tranny on the max is weak. (it breaks using stock hp)
Old 02-27-2002, 02:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

this is gettin old,very old,you want 40 more to the wheels??basicly what a small turbo will give you...Nitrous,and its safe when you use it correctly and you only use it when you need it unlike a turbo,they make it for our cars and only cost around the price of a name brand exhaust...i do understand though...people dont want turbo for the power,they want it to say i have a turbo maxima and to be original..got search?
Old 02-27-2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by mykizism

its not the tranny that produce's more hp.. its the design of the engine it self.
im not THAT stupid.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:22 PM

Nitrous is all I really wanted, but EVERYONE kept telling me that the auto wouldnt take it for long. I believe them especially because mine seems to be slipping slightly under hard acceleration. Is there anything I can do that won't kill the bank for the tranny?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

only two choices either beef up the auto tranny(valve body mod, etc.) or do a more complicated 5spd swap.....IMO the stock 3rd gen auto tranny is good up to regular bolt-ons and thats about it! but I'd say you could do the VB mod and run a 40 shot and be fine, but thats considering your current tranny is already in good shape!

Nitrous is all I really wanted, but EVERYONE kept telling me that the auto wouldnt take it for long. I believe them especially because mine seems to be slipping slightly under hard acceleration. Is there anything I can do that won't kill the bank for the tranny?
Old 02-27-2002, 11:02 PM

Will doing that mod repair my slight slip problem? also any idea on the cost of the vb mod?