3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Skyline Tail Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 01:50 PM
Get Off My Lawn

We've all read threads lately about clear tail lights and making your own. In my opinion, those home made jobs look pretty bad, I mean horrible! I've been looking really close at the rear end of Skylines and I've heard that they are just really a suped up version of the Max, don't know if it's true but that's what I've heard. The point is, if anyone has noticed, that the tail lights on the skyline look almost identical in shape and size as that of a 3rd gen Max! The only difference I can see is that there is an added protrusion on the top of the light where it meets with the rear quarter and trunk. Otherwise, it has the same clear band at the bottom and seems to wrap around about as far as on our cars! I searched the old threads and found no info on this. Will they fit?
Old 11-20-2000, 01:58 PM

I have been considering this ever since the first time I saw a Skyline. I have heard that the tails off of the R-32 edition Skyline will fit on the 3rd gen with a little body work and re-tooling but I am not too sure about the other Skyline Tails. I was considering trying to make Skyline-looking tailights out of exsisting 3rd gen tails. I have the whole process roughly figured out in my head but it is a matter of getting some junk tails to try the idea. There is a sight that sells Skyline lights and gives all the dimensions and what not for them. I will try to get the address and post it.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:09 PM

the site that sells them is http://www.motorex.com
they are $800 i think. i was talking to someone a while ago, but havent heard back from him yet. he said that he talked with a person from moterex and they said that their is another company that makes a complete skyline conversion kit for the 3rd gens. i think that would be awsome. i havent been able to find out anymore info on it though. there was someone with a 4th or 5th gen max that did a skyline conversion. i think it looked sweet. havent seen anything done on 3rd gens.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:14 PM

There is actually another site that sells them too, that I was referring to. I am still trying to find it.
Old 11-20-2000, 03:32 PM

Okay, I found what I was looking for. Go to http://www.importfan.com and go to the part that says "Conversions". Scroll down a little bit and you will see on the left hand side that there are listings for different makes and models of vehichles. Go to the Skyline R-32 part and you wil see detailed close up pics of the tail lights. There are also detailed close ups with dimensions for the R-33 and R-34. Check it out.
Old 11-20-2000, 03:39 PM

Max related to the Skyline?

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!

*gasp*

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!
Old 11-20-2000, 03:43 PM

Uhmmmmm...the Skyline IS manufactured by Nissan.
Old 11-20-2000, 03:52 PM

And its related to the Maxima how? The Skyline and the Max probably don't share one major part. Maybe bolts or screws..
Old 11-20-2000, 03:58 PM

Part wise they are different but they ARE related simply because they are both Nissans. You could say that the Maxima and the Pathfinder are related even though they are not built the same. Besides if the Skyline were sold in the US I can bet that it would be more similar to the Max than any other Nissan.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:50 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Vitaly and I thought about the same thing and R33 Skyline tail lights are too wide to fit the 3rd generation maxima. R33 Skyline tail lights were around $250 each when we last checked.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:56 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ya know i always wanted to know what the skyline tailights look on the Quest...hey since they are both nissans right?
Dan

Originally posted by FitzMax
Part wise they are different but they ARE related simply because they are both Nissans. You could say that the Maxima and the Pathfinder are related even though they are not built the same. Besides if the Skyline were sold in the US I can bet that it would be more similar to the Max than any other Nissan.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:57 PM

Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

I figured that the R-33 lights were too big but my roomate at school told me that he heard that the R-32 lights will fit with a few minor modifications. But I am not sure. I suppose yopu could get anything to fit with a few minor mods. On the importfan.com web page you should see all the conversions that were done. Its kind of funny how many Hondas and Acuras have adapted Nissan head lights and taillights.
Old 11-20-2000, 05:19 PM

Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

I figured that the R-33 lights were too big but my roomate at school told me that he heard that the R-32 lights will fit with a few minor modifications. But I am not sure. I suppose yopu could get anything to fit with a few minor mods. On the importfan.com web page you should see all the conversions that were done. Its kind of funny how many Hondas and Acuras have adapted Nissan head lights and taillights.

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE

CHILLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT DOESNT TAKE A GENIUS FOR THIS , I HAVE THE NISSAN SKYILEN TAILLIGHTS LOOKALIKE, I SHOULD HAVE SOME PICS BY THE END OF WEEK. CHECK BACK WITH ME ILL POST A THREAD.
Old 11-20-2000, 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Really...? I hope that you are not just talking about blacked out, painted tails with two circles for the brake lights. I have seen that and it didn't look too good. Let us know.
Old 11-20-2000, 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Really...? I hope that you are not just talking about blacked out, painted tails with two circles for the brake lights. I have seen that and it didn't look too good. Let us know.
LETS JUST SAY I BET U NEVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THAT, IT WAS PROFFESIAONLLY DONE, NOT ONE OF THOSE GTS BACKLIGHT ****
OR SPRAY PAINT
Old 11-20-2000, 05:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Does it look good? I am anxious to see the pics. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2000, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Does it look good? I am anxious to see the pics. Thanks!
in my opinion it looks mad good, maybe u wont like it, every 3rd gen maxima that pulls up always stare then they ask where i got it or how i did it , afacurase i dont want every ++!@**!? that has a max driving with my lights, so i tell them i paid near $500 for it, then they go forget it.
But I had few people tell me they dont like it, so i mean???
to mee it looks mad good.
Old 11-20-2000, 05:38 PM

: Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

How did you do it? Are they painted or did you do something else?
Old 11-20-2000, 05:40 PM

Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

How did you do it? Are they painted or did you do something else?

PATIENTS MY FRIEND.
ULL SEE BY THE END OF WEEK
Old 11-20-2000, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

You gotta understand, I am probably the MOST impatient person around. The end of the week is a Looooooooong time for me!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2000, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

You gotta understand, I am probably the MOST impatient person around. The end of the week is a Looooooooong time for me!!!!!!
ok ok in your case ill take some pics tommorow then, if ur that inpatient, but i wanna see some pics of your car too. :0
Old 11-20-2000, 06:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

If I have time tomorrow I will take some, if the weather is nice too. I haven't taken any in a long time so I am about due for some, new ones. I'll see what I can do.
Old 11-20-2000, 08:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Those lights look cool.. I would take those over the Altezza's that APC is making for us any day. No matter what the price!
Old 11-20-2000, 08:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Originally posted by FAST4EN
Those lights look cool.. I would take those over the Altezza's that APC is making for us any day. No matter what the price!
i have a questions for you fast4en, how did u get the gauges to be like that?
Old 11-20-2000, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

you are about the 10 millionth person to ask me that.

1. Take apart dash "area"
2. Take out old "194" (4 of them) bulbs
3. Put in (your choice) either PIAA superwhites, or Superblues (and if you want try diff. color combos.) Ex: 2 red/2 blue blubs. 2 green/2 orange. All red, all green. Experiment and try it out. The only thing that I hate is that it takes soooo long to take the dash apart and put it back together. I don't have that kind of time lately. I do mosy of my mods in the summer.
4. Put dash back together.
5. Turn the lights on.
6. OOOOOOOOH!! AHHHHHHH!!! WOOOOOW!!!

My combination: 1 red and 3 superblue lights. That's the picture that you see in my "sig"
Old 11-20-2000, 09:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

Originally posted by FAST4EN
you are about the 10 millionth person to ask me that.

1. Take apart dash "area"
2. Take out old "194" (4 of them) bulbs
3. Put in (your choice) either PIAA superwhites, or Superblues (and if you want try diff. color combos.) Ex: 2 red/2 blue blubs. 2 green/2 orange. All red, all green. Experiment and try it out. The only thing that I hate is that it takes soooo long to take the dash apart and put it back together. I don't have that kind of time lately. I do mosy of my mods in the summer.
4. Put dash back together.
5. Turn the lights on.
6. OOOOOOOOH!! AHHHHHHH!!! WOOOOOW!!!

My combination: 1 red and 3 superblue lights. That's the picture that you see in my "sig"
damn it, i just finished my dash board a little while ago, i should have known, oh well, maybe some other time.

thanks
Old 11-20-2000, 09:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: : Re: Re: Sorry to burst your bubble but....

oh well...another day i guess....just keep that in mind.
Old 11-20-2000, 09:17 PM

Am I just abnormal, or is $800+ a tad too much to spend on friggin taillights? Those can almost buy you coiloers for most other cars! lol or a pretty sweet sound system!
Old 11-20-2000, 09:20 PM

Of course, of all people, you and Matt are all about the sound. Yea $800 is a lot, but like people in earlier posts said, you can get them cheaper, for about the price of the Altezza's ($200-$250)
Old 11-20-2000, 10:36 PM

Yo Maximum5spd! Got those pics yet??!?!?!???!? Just kiddin' bro...
Old 11-21-2000, 06:19 PM

Yeah, Really, Got the Picts yet? I'm gonna be In Texas from the 23rd to the 27th
Old 11-21-2000, 06:59 PM

No pics today!!!!! :(

Sorry guys but i couldnt get the pics done today, i was in the shop half of the day fixing my car. Hopefully by tommorow ull see them.
Old 11-22-2000, 03:46 PM

Yea I realy wont some info on this and some pics it sounds tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-22-2000, 04:32 PM
Get Off My Lawn

SKYLINE.....SKYLINE.....SKYLINE.....(chanting)

I am sincerely sorry, but these home made clear tails that I've seen are horrible! I appluad the effort, heck, I tried with an old cracked tail I had to see if it could be done. But, when working with something that is so highly visable, you just can't "rig" something. For good, CLEAN looking tail lights, they will have to be made by some company. Trying to make home made clear tails is no different than wanting BMW headlights and instead cutting two circles out of a piece of vinyl and applying it over the oem headlights!
Old 11-22-2000, 06:30 PM

SORRY STILL NO PICS

Hey guys, sorry i couldnt get the pics done today, hopefully tommorow.

Old 11-25-2000, 07:26 PM

Still No pics???????????????????????????????
Old 11-26-2000, 11:18 AM

pics pics pics
Old 11-27-2000, 02:33 PM

OK guys today is the last day i was sick. that damn flu anyways, if its not going to rain here tommorow. IM going to take the pics and post them the same day.
Old 11-27-2000, 03:28 PM

I figured i'd add to the chaos and say I WANNA SEE SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!! YOU WOULD THINK THIS WAS ****!!!
Old 11-29-2000, 06:39 PM

pics update!!!!!

hey guys just wanted to inform you i took pics now i just have to develop them and scan them

Quick Reply: Skyline Tail Lights?