3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002 | 06:58 PM

Brake light problem

brake lights are one constantly when car is on. lights to brighten up a little bit when i hit the brakes. has this happened to anybody. i did a search, but only dead brake lights on there. mine just stay on all the time.
Old 03-14-2002 | 07:13 PM

Check the brake light switch mounted on your brake pedal. Make sure that the switch disengages when you let off the brake pedal. Sometimes they come out of adjustment and just needs to be reset.
If that is good, then you have a short in the system feeding battery voltage to the lights. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-14-2002 | 07:39 PM

This does not sound like an electrical problem.

When you're brake warning lights go lights up, what does that mean? something to do with the brakes and not just a light bulb perhaps!?

You should have your brakes inspected, your pads are probably worn a bit and everytime you depress the brake pedal, you send brake fluid to the calipers to fill them up, when this happens the proper amount of fluid may have gone just a bit below normal and is triggering the warning light.
It could also mean you have a leak somewhere, but from your description, i'd say it's worn pads.

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2002 | 03:49 AM

Do you mean the brake warning light, or the actual tail lights, that stay on?
If you are talking about the warning light on the dash, then I'm with Sudesh, it could be low fluid level, or a switch problem on the parking brake mechanism. I was under the assumption that all your tail lights were constantly on. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2002 | 07:09 AM

you are right, all the brake lights are constantly on. actually, only the left side of each taillights and the whole spoiler lights are the lights that are constantly on.
Old 03-15-2002 | 02:22 PM

check it out.
when the e-brake is released, the brakes lights stay on constantly. But when the e-brake is up, everything works normal. what i do is just lift the e-brake so it clicks only once and im all good. i still need to fix the problem though. anyone have anysuggestions...
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My tailights stay lit as well. I just had to get my battery recharged today because of this....I even tried tugging the brake pedal toward me to make sure the sensor didn't stick but that didn't work. the only way I can keep them off is by unplugging the from the battery. Stupid solution I know but at least my batt will be saved. anyone have any suggestions?

And I'm not meaning to thread jack
Old 06-06-2010 | 05:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by TheMagicalMaximaTour
My tailights stay lit as well. I just had to get my battery recharged today because of this....I even tried tugging the brake pedal toward me to make sure the sensor didn't stick but that didn't work. the only way I can keep them off is by unplugging the from the battery. Stupid solution I know but at least my batt will be saved. anyone have any suggestions?

And I'm not meaning to thread jack
there is supposed to be a green or black rubber pad on the pedal arm that pushes the brake light switch when the pedal is up. if that has gotten brittle and crumbled, your lights will always be on. this has happened to a few members, both for brake lights or clutch start switches or cruise control cancel switches since they all work basically the same way.

and technically you're not thread-jacking... since nobody has posted in this thread for 8 years. but you are bumping old threads. which is almost always frowned upon. if you don't have 15 posts then just use the newbie thread at the very top of the 3rd gen section.
Old 06-06-2010 | 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I see well would there be a way to tape something there or fix it?

And my bad for bringing up a post so old (8 years?! Goodness lol) I did a search on my brake lights staying on and this problem was the closest to mine
Old 06-07-2010 | 10:48 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by TheMagicalMaximaTour
I see well would there be a way to tape something there or fix it?

And my bad for bringing up a post so old (8 years?! Goodness lol) I did a search on my brake lights staying on and this problem was the closest to mine
a short bolt attached with a nut would do the trick if you didn't want to get another rubber stopper from Nissan. i can't imagine they'd be very expensive.