3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some Tech Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 06:30 PM

Some Tech Questions?

Hey guys,
I have a few questions first, What is boost? I have seen alot of gauges for it, and people saying it's important, but I don't know waht the hell it is. Also is it more important to have torque, or horsepower? Is it possible to add torque? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a newbie. Also what is coilover suspension?
Thanks
Chris
Old 03-16-2002, 08:33 PM

Re: Some Tech Questions?

Originally posted by samabra
Hey guys,
I have a few questions first, What is boost? I have seen alot of gauges for it, and people saying it's important, but I don't know waht the hell it is. Also is it more important to have torque, or horsepower? Is it possible to add torque? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a newbie. Also what is coilover suspension?
Thanks
Chris
Boost is what a turbo or a supercharger provides. It refers to the pressure created by a turbo or SC. A boost gage is normally only found on cars with turbos or SC's. Unless you're a real ricer.
Torque is twisting force of your motor. More torque basically provides greater acelleration. All out HP generally results in hight top end. These are just sorta results as opposed to textbook definitions.
Coilovers are usually ride-height adjustable. Crank em up to drive around and slam it for shows. It's a spring with the shock down through the center basically. I'm sure several people will elaborate, but that's the jist of it.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:35 PM

Re: Some Tech Questions?

Originally posted by samabra
Hey guys,
Thanks
Chris
boost is like the amount of air a car with a turbo is flowing, a boost guage lets you know how much air your turbo is moving. you do not need a boost guage if you do not have a turbo. it is important to have torque in a race from a stop, you will get moving faster torque is kinda what moves the wheels. horsepower and torque are both important, and you can add both with some mods. coilover suspension is springs that allow you to raise and lower to your likng whenever you choose to. usually have to adjust them with a special wrench.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: Re: Some Tech Questions?

Originally posted by maxmizd27

Boost is what a turbo or a supercharger provides. It refers to the pressure created by a turbo or SC. A boost gage is normally only found on cars with turbos or SC's. Unless you're a real ricer.
Torque is twisting force of your motor. More torque basically provides greater acelleration. All out HP generally results in hight top end. These are just sorta results as opposed to textbook definitions.
Coilovers are usually ride-height adjustable. Crank em up to drive around and slam it for shows. It's a spring with the shock down through the center basically. I'm sure several people will elaborate, but that's the jist of it.
damn, i just wasted my time, lol i didnt know someone had replied.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Some Tech Questions?

Originally posted by Dummy

damn, i just wasted my time, lol i didnt know someone had replied.
The more the merrier!
Old 03-20-2002, 03:50 PM

Thanks alot y'all!
Chris