3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

H e l p ... manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 01:16 PM
DDD

Hi guys,
Today is a bad day for me.
Suddenly my 5 sp. manual transmission got very stiff (at the manual lever).
To shift from neutral to the first and from the 1st to the 2nd I have to apply five times more efforts than before. The 3rd, 4th, 5th and the reverse seems to be free from that problem.
An important notice: shifting is stiff and smooth on all the way from the neutral position to the point of engaging gears. The impression is that all the mechanism have been covered with the thick tar. The most difficult is to downshift from the 2nd to neutral (the same is for the 1nd to neutral, but slightly better).
No any sounds or smells.

Could you please guys give me all you ideas, symptoms, e.t.c.
I'll be extremely grateful.
Regards,
DDD

Old 11-22-2000, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check your fluids

I had this problem once before; it was almost impossible to shift into 1st and all the others were hard too
check your clutch fluid which is right next to brake fluid under the hood (drivers side, close to drivers side strut tower)
that turned out to be the problem with mine and once I filled it up, it was back to normal
hope that's your problem because it's definitely the easiest thing to fix
Old 11-22-2000, 01:26 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm I was gonna say your 1st & 2nd gear synchros are going bad but I can't see that happening all of a sudden? Check the fluid level. If 1 & 2 are on top of the the tranny, they might be on the dry side. Could it be the shift fork is mis-aligned? I can't really say. Sorry for not being more of a help here.
Old 11-22-2000, 02:40 PM
DDD

Some more details

Thank you guys for the response. I'll check the fluids tomorrow. At the same time all the opinions and advices are much appreciated. Don't hesitate to publish them even they seem to be weird, e.t.c.

The problem happens really suddenly - I started normally at the traffic lights, but trying to shift to the 1st gear at the next lights I was surprised (about 500 yards).

What about clutch fluid - I have it changed about 12 kmiles ago. What's interesting - it wasn't transparent yellow, but grey. I've made a flush of the system and replaced the fluid with Unocal_76 DOT 4. After 2 or 3 kmiles the fluid got grey again, while the brake fluid (the same DOT 4 changed at the same time) remains transparent yellow. What's the culprit?

Tranny fluid - Unocal_76 75W90, changed 12 kmiles ago.

Thanks once more,
DDD

Old 11-22-2000, 03:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I decided to run Redline gear oil in mine after having to replace the tranny. Although it is supposed to be more resistant to the cold, it still becomes slightly more difficult to shift in the winter untill it warms up. There's a plug under the tranny that the fluid is supposed to be filled up to. Unless you know where to look, I'd take it to a tranny shop to check your levels, there's a bunch of bolts and stuff that kinda look like drain holes under the tranny that are not and shouldn't be messed with.
Old 11-22-2000, 09:45 PM
MSK

RE Transmission

I have a 90 SE with 5 speed. I am experiencing the same problem but I think it is not your tranny. I would first check the fluid in the clutch reservoir then I would bleed the clutch. It usually is a two person job so find somebody who can help you. Here is how to do it.
Remove the intake plastic pipe from the back side of the MAS sensor and the front of the intake manifold. The clutch slave cylinder and bleeder screw is straight below it. It takes a 10 mm ranch. Loose it gently and ask your friend to press the clutch full (he will feel it hiting the firewall) it is ok. Tell him to keep it depress while you close the bleeder valve again. Tell him to release it and repeat the process. You have to do it several times. Meanwhile keep a close eye on the reservoir. and keep filling it up. ONce you bled the clutch you should feel the difference, if there is nothing else wrong with it. try this and let us know what are your findings. there are one man kits available for brake and clutch bleeding also.

MSK 90 SE