3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

speaker covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 06:39 PM

speaker covers

Just wondering how to get my back speaker covers off not sure if there factory or not but i tried to pop them off they dont seem to want to come.I know that the speaker covers says(active speakers) not sure if it factory or not
Old 03-28-2002, 07:13 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: speaker covers

Yep thats factory covers. You have to unscrew them from the panel I think...I did it on my wife's gxe a couple years ago and can't really remember but I think they have screws.

take the back seat out and pull the panel out to unscrew them if you cant get to it from the trunk.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:18 PM

gotta take out the whole deck cover. undo the 3rd brake light and just pop off all the plugs..
Old 03-29-2002, 02:13 PM

i thought the 90 gxe fits a 6 by 9 just fine, but when i opened it up to install my 6 by 9 i was dead wrong. I have to dremel away myself a new hole and that's not the end of my problem. Once i got the speakers on, the grill proved to be too small for the 6 by 9 so now there are 2 bumps on my rear deck cuz the speakers can't fit completely underneath the grill.
Old 03-29-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by maxima_dumby
i thought the 90 gxe fits a 6 by 9 just fine, but when i opened it up to install my 6 by 9 i was dead wrong. I have to dremel away myself a new hole and that's not the end of my problem. Once i got the speakers on, the grill proved to be too small for the 6 by 9 so now there are 2 bumps on my rear deck cuz the speakers can't fit completely underneath the grill.
the new speakers didn't come with new grills? i'd say try to find a 6x9 grill that will work for your new speaker and see if that helps. i had that problem when i looked for new speakers, before i knew about the org of course, every other place i looked said a different size...
Old 03-30-2002, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by noleafclover

the new speakers didn't come with new grills? i'd say try to find a 6x9 grill that will work for your new speaker and see if that helps. i had that problem when i looked for new speakers, before i knew about the org of course, every other place i looked said a different size...
Why not just hang them from underneath?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:34 AM

same prob

i got a 92SE and i had a bad speaker problem. I ended up goin from 6x9s to 6 1/2s but they didnt fit nice either so i got 6 3/4 euro fit Bostons. They sound nice and i didnt have to chop anything up. Round speakers are just as good if not better then the oval 6x9s
Old 03-31-2002, 02:57 PM

On the third gens it depend on if you have bose or not. Non bose or "active" speaker system takes 6 3/4 in the rear. Bose takes 6x9s...
Old 04-10-2002, 06:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, I found out the hard way about the speaker size. I looked in Crutchfield (not calling them) and I saw that the 90 max was suppose to be able to take 6x9s but later (after I ordered speakers online) that they only fit 6 3/4". The speakers will most likely will be going on eBay soon as the return policy isn't that great with the company. So, you say that 6 1/2" won't do?

Nathan
Old 04-10-2002, 06:31 AM

what u guys need to get is the bose mounting bracket and bottom mount the 6x 9
Old 04-10-2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by dat_nomad

Why not just hang them from underneath?
I thought about this too, but I didnt like the idea of the speaker hanging so low beneath the rear deck. The sound would then have to travel through the hole through the deck. I got a pair of 6 3/4 speakers and I think it is much better than using the mounting brackets. Besides, I've heard that round speakers sound better
Old 04-11-2002, 08:20 AM

ok a 6*9 is going to blow a 6 3/4 out of the water expecialy a an infinity or a high priced speaker more bass, if u have subs which u most likly dont because u want to replace factory speaks u can go with a 6 3/4 componet which will give excelent mid i have had 6 3/4 kenwood and my alpine 6*9 eat them alive i plan on putting in 2 way 6*9 infinety kappa **if u want good bass dont by 3 way* if u are running 50 watt max power 3 way divid power more so than 2 ways its not an exact equaion because electricty alway takes the route of less resistance so in a 3 way speaker most of your power is going to the tweeter then the mid and your woofer part of the 3 way gets the sloppy thirds it all high scool physics my friends

bottom mounting is not going too be much more distance to travel either it is a good scarifice for a bigger speaker

ripp out the cloth under the factory grills it will help the speaker breath vacume the speaker often
rip out the sound daming capet between the seat and the trunk it will help alot also
Old 04-11-2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by kingrye
ok a 6*9 is going to blow a 6 3/4 out of the water expecialy a an infinity or a high priced speaker more bass, if u have subs which u most likly dont because u want to replace factory speaks u can go with a 6 3/4 componet which will give excelent mid i have had 6 3/4 kenwood and my alpine 6*9 eat them alive i plan on putting in 2 way 6*9 infinety kappa **if u want good bass dont by 3 way* if u are running 50 watt max power 3 way divid power more so than 2 ways its not an exact equaion because electricty alway takes the route of less resistance so in a 3 way speaker most of your power is going to the tweeter then the mid and your woofer part of the 3 way gets the sloppy thirds it all high scool physics my friends

bottom mounting is not going too be much more distance to travel either it is a good scarifice for a bigger speaker

ripp out the cloth under the factory grills it will help the speaker breath vacume the speaker often
rip out the sound daming capet between the seat and the trunk it will help alot also

I don't know if blowing it out of the water is an accurate term. I have infinty Kappa 6 3/4s and they are bad. If you are worried about bass then the 6x9 would give you more but that would be about it. Most people wouldn't care about the highs in the rear as much, so they usually don't get componets in the rear. If you want bass out of them you can get free air woofers which are 6 3/4. You are also comparing a Kenwood speaker with an alpine, put two of the same speakers in your comparison with different sizes and you will get similar results.

6 1/2 will work but you will have to do some mods...try searching and there are lots of posts about people's custom pods
Old 04-11-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by kingrye

First, punctuation will help everyone understand you better. Second, just because I replaced my factory speakers doesn't necessarily mean that I don't have subs. I have a pair of 10" subs in my car. I replaced my factory speakers becuase by Bose amps had blown and the sound quality was not as good as my Infinity Kappa speakers. I wouldn't consider them High-Priced either. The Infinity speakers are very good for the money. The Kappa 6.75's that I have are a 1 peice component speaker. They have the tweeter mounted on the speaker, but they also have a crossover that makes them act as separates. As far as the difference between the 6x9's, yeah they will be more powerful than 6 inchers. But the are more practical for systems without subwoofers. If you already have subs, there really isn't a need to have all that much bass coming from the cabin speakers becuase you won't hear it. I was just commenting that I'd rather have the rear speakers mounted directly in the rear deck with a good speaker with good clarity than sound coming from 6x9s through a 6.75" hole.

|C
Old 04-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hopefully this will help answer the original question...

Whether you have the Bose system or not, I believe that the speaker grilles are attached to the flimsy rear deck, so you'll have to remove the rear deck before you can get them off. To do this, you'll have to remove the back seat's backrest in order to get to the rear deck. My '89SE had the Bose system, and I removed the Bose amp assemeblies from the rear deck, so I know what's up back there. My Max have a pair of Kenwood 6x9s that were mounted to the Bose amp assemblies, but they sounded like $h@t, so I found a pair of 6x9 - 4x6 speaker adapters to mount them under the rear deck, and they sound fine to me - although I'm not that big of a fan of the extra overhang the 6x9s are now sporting...

On to the second issue of bass (one of my favorite subjects...)
I have a pair of KICKER C-10a's in a bandpass enclosure, and I'm going to stick with the Kenwood 6x9s until I blow them up. I have a pair of PROFILE Audio amps that will be running my system once I get it all together. The Kenwoods will be fed a healthy 75W RMS each, and crossed over to filter out the low freq's... and my twin KICKERs will get the most power they've ever had - 200W RMS each from the amp I'm using to drive them. I'd personally like to bottom-mount a pair of 6.75" ovals back there so that they fit better in the stock spaces, but not looking to spend anything right now on rear-deck speakers since they're just for fill anyway and would have to compete with the subs in the trunk . My door speakers are 3-way Kenwood 5.25" speakers which sound pretty good too, but I'm seriously considering a 6.5" separates package when the time comes - I just don't know which brand to go with right now. The Kenwood 6x9s I have are considered 4-ways (its on Kenwood's website that way) and they send out decent bass, but I really don't expect them to do that - that's the job of my subs. I've never had ALPINE stuff, but I've had Kenwood, Audiobahn and Pioneer 6x9s before. The best bass response I got out of those three was from the Audiobahns (those jokers handled 400W Max and had a HUGE magnet on them!), the Kenwoods would be about 2nd in bass response, and the Pioneers last. There may be something to what kingrye mentioned about 2-ways vs. 3/4-way speakers and bass response, though. The Audiobahns were only 2-ways and sounded great with only a Pioneer DEH-45DH head unit powering them in an old Chrysler 5th Ave. (sounded like subs back there...) I'd have loved to mount them in my Max, but they got messed up somehow and they sound like somebody dropped them from 10 flights up.

I know this was kinda long, but there's much to say about this, and everybody has their own experiences with audio. Hope this helps out some!

peace2u