3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brakes Question??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 09:09 AM
andrewmax03

Brakes Question??

Hey since my brakes squeak like i'm dragging 283492348 mice behind my car...i'm thinking of getting new rotors and calipers. I've been looking at stillen. Is there any difference between cross-drilled and slotted? either way i'm just looking to get rid of the squeaking sound!!! If anybody has any solutions to help me out thanks.

Old 03-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Brakes Question??

Originally posted by andrewmax03
Hey since my brakes squeak like i'm dragging 283492348 mice behind my car...i'm thinking of getting new rotors and calipers. I've been looking at stillen. Is there any difference between cross-drilled and slotted? either way i'm just looking to get rid of the squeaking sound!!! If anybody has any solutions to help me out thanks.
What type of brake do u have. Do u drive in the city a lot? Your brake squeak is an indication of your brake being worn out. On the other hand, it can be from u stoping a lot, like driving in the city. perhaps the pads that u have on now is cheap, and the pad's composition is more metallic causing a glaze (smooth and shinnig) surface. U may not have to spend all that money. Try resurfacing the rotors and use dealer pads.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:57 AM

Re: Re: Brakes Question??

Originally posted by phat

What type of brake do u have. Do u drive in the city a lot? Your brake squeak is an indication of your brake being worn out. On the other hand, it can be from u stoping a lot, like driving in the city. perhaps the pads that u have on now is cheap, and the pad's composition is more metallic causing a glaze (smooth and shinnig) surface. U may not have to spend all that money. Try resurfacing the rotors and use dealer pads.
i got new brakes a couple years ago...they squeaked ever since that day. the guy told my mom it was normal, and i think he actually said that nissan brakes do that a lot. they have stopped fine for over 2 years, and there's no problem, they just squeak...but yeah, what is the difference between crossdrilled and slotted, and other brands too?
Old 03-29-2002, 02:03 PM

Did you know that tuffy offers a lifetime warranty on their pads. They use raybesto pad and under the warranty you get to have your pads replaced forever, for free as long as you own the car. The warranty also replace pads that are worn out by normal use. Not a bad deal only for 100 dollars (installation included).
Old 03-29-2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by maxima_dumby
Did you know that tuffy offers a lifetime warranty on their pads. They use raybesto pad and under the warranty you get to have your pads replaced forever, for free as long as you own the car. The warranty also replace pads that are worn out by normal use. Not a bad deal only for 100 dollars (installation included).
Tuffy? Is that the name on the brakes, or a place?
If it's a name, does AutoZone sell'em?
Old 03-29-2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Taegost

Tuffy? Is that the name on the brakes, or a place?
If it's a name, does AutoZone sell'em?
Tuffy is the name of the shop. It's like midas, car x, meinkie, it's a nationalwide or region chain store.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:39 PM

sounds like caliper for a bike
yeah..im dumb
Old 03-29-2002, 08:26 PM

heh, it's all about the install
install the brakes right, and as long
as you dont use cheapie 10 dolla brake pads,
there should be no squeaks
Old 04-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Evil Yak
heh, it's all about the install
install the brakes right, and as long
as you dont use cheapie 10 dolla brake pads,
there should be no squeaks
Raebestos squeaks when u install them on the imports.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:31 AM

I have heard the main thing that will keep the brakes from squeling is the shims. If you use your old factory ones they won't squel as bad, but unless you have changed the pads yourself for the life of your car you are out of luck. Try searching on this, we had a sticky about it at one time..before they were eliminated. And you really can do the brakes yourself...easiest thing I have ever done on my car was the front brakes. Take off the tire and one or two bolts, remove old pads, compress piston, insert old pads. I haven't done my drums yet, but if you have disks don't hesitate. Also most brake manufacturers offer lifetime replacement as well. I have the bendix IQ pads on mine, got them for fourty bucks, with lifetime replacement...Try doing a search on this and you will find all kinds of good stuff, I think Craig might have a write up on his page as well....
Old 04-03-2002, 07:06 AM

just got new brakes

Man...raybestos is some POS stuff...wont last and its made out of real cheap material.. I wouldn't recommend that - Nissan Pads are probably the best pads (price/quality). I heard Axxis/Metal Master are also good.

I also have the squeaky noise from my brakes...no matter what you do..the sounds is still there..

I recently got 2 front X-drilled stillen rotors and Nissan pads...the brakes were kinda funny for the first 100 miles...then they were back to normal - I still get the squeaking when Im stopping at a red light every once in a while - Ive learned to just deal with it..