3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need help quickly, like right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 06:36 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Need help quickly, like right now

ok I was driving to school about 10 minutes ago and I was in third gear and I go to downshift to 2nd and it wouldnt go in,(no grinding or anything) So i though mabey Im going to fast for it(which I really wasnt) So I came to a stop at a light and I cant put the car into 1st or 2nd, so I drove about a half mile in 3rd gear to my school. I just had the clutch and syncros replaced, what do you think it is? I really need to know because If I call my friend's dad to come tow my car to the tranny shop I dont want to pay for it, and I wont have to if its something that they did.

I think its the syncros,but they didnt even start grinding and then it got worse, It just stopped working, it was fine the whole 15 miles I drove untill then. I didnt beqat on iit or anything ,
Old 04-02-2002, 07:18 AM
STFU n00b!

Mine did that a few months ago too.. but it was right before my rebuild..

try to stick it in reverse and then back into 1 or 2.. if that doesn't work, then you're basically screwed.. call up the place that did the tranny and tell them what's happening and see what they can do. a competent shop will fix it under warranty.. shady places will try to charge you as "this wasn't the original problem".

well yeah.. when you do a rebuild, you should look for ANYTHING that needs replaced and do it. if shims and bushings and shift forks are worn inaddition to the bearings and synchros, is it wise to just replace bearings and synchros? hmmmmm.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ok

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Mine did that a few months ago too.. but it was right before my rebuild..

try to stick it in reverse and then back into 1 or 2.. if that doesn't work, then you're basically screwed.. call up the place that did the tranny and tell them what's happening and see what they can do. a competent shop will fix it under warranty.. shady places will try to charge you as "this wasn't the original problem".

well yeah.. when you do a rebuild, you should look for ANYTHING that needs replaced and do it. if shims and bushings and shift forks are worn inaddition to the bearings and synchros, is it wise to just replace bearings and synchros? hmmmmm.
ive got a break now ill try it, the place that I got it done isnt really a shady place, my friend works there, and I did tell him to replace everything that needed to be replace while the tranny was out, even if It waas something else hed probably just charge me parts,

thanks matt
Old 04-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

welp

I guess Im screwed,lol

i tried it , didnt work. so now I guess I'll have to get it towed down there. so do you think its the syncros?
Old 04-02-2002, 09:05 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ok update

I call the tranny shop and he said he doesnt know why it would be doing it because he only did the 2 to 3 syncro(which is bull because im almost positive he told me he did all of them.) and that he doesnt have any space open right now so I should drive the car almost 20 mile to my house in 3rd(not good for the clutch right?) and hell call me when he gets a lift open so my friends Dad who tows is comming to bring my car to my house. this suck because I was going to get my car lowred tomorrow but now it will be in the tranny shop for who knows how long.

Does anyone have any Idea what could have happened, that way i can be sure hes not ****ing me around when he looks at it, Ive only put about 200 miles on the car since I got it back, I have to check the reciept but im almost positive he did all the syncros.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:19 AM

Re: ok update

Sounds like you're friend at the tranny shop isn't a friend afterall. I have a few mechanic friends, and I don't go to just one, I mix it around so they don't think I rely on them. I use the term friends loosely because most mechanics are cheats and robbers. Repairing stuff is long and tiring, so they want to cut corners to get it done as fast as possible. I'm starting to believe that we should begin praising ASE certified mechanics.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:36 AM

im sure its the syncro's my brother's stealth did the same thing after he got it repaired.. couldnt get it into first at all..

have them check the syncros over again...
Old 04-02-2002, 10:56 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

no my freind works

at the tranny shop, I knew him before he worked there, he doesnt repair the cars though, I looked at my reciept and it says that he replaced the 1st and 2nd syncros, I had the car towed to my house, there gonna look at it next week. oh well guess no drop tomorow.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can it be a shifter linkage (or maybe internal shift fork) problem?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I dont know?

there is like no resistance between 3 & 4 its like the shifter is connected to nothing, but it is because I can get the car into 3,4,5 & R?

It juyst suck because he doesnt have any lifts open and probably wont get the car in untill next week, and then who knows how long to fix it. I cant wait till I have a new car still under warenty
Old 04-03-2002, 06:57 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Clutch Cylinder

Originally posted by 1989 4DSC
HI
Try checking the hydrolic cluch cylinder and slave cylinder, then check the gear oil level (not likely) worth a try.
Yeah Mine would go into 1st or 2nd, and I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and it worked, also, be sure to bleed the clutch fluid well (PITA)

The seal is very prone to blow out on cold days.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:06 AM

after i replaced my master cylinder it fixed everything. i couldn't go into 1st or 2nd even at a stop! it sucked!
Old 04-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I checked the fluid

how can I check the master cylinder? where is it?